May 2016 Moms

A night away from LO

When is too soon to leave your LO for an overnight? My husband has a work event one weekend an hour away from home at week 6 that spouses are invited to and wants me to come. It involves Friday night activities, an overnight and then more activities Saturday. I said I would come Friday night and then go spend the night at home but he's encouraging me to leave LO with our parents over night and have a night away together. I think it may be too soon. Would love to get your thoughts. 

Re: A night away from LO

• Personally, I wouldn't. We are EBF and Im not introducing a bottle until 8 weeks but even without that I don't think either of us would be ready at 6 weeks. Holly is 4 weeks now and still really needs me to soothe her when she is upset, to fall asleep and of course for the comfort of nursing. I can't imagine things will change drastically in the next two weeks. That said, everyone is different and you and your LO may be ready at that point. 
  • kami09kami09 member
    edited May 2016
    The first night I left my son overnight was....giving birth to DD. Lol eek. I'm a bit attached though. I can't help it. It totally depends on your situation. It wasn't completely because I didn't want to leave him. I EBF a little over a year, hated pumping, so it was always easier to just stay. But I also didn't mind missing out on things. If youre FF or don't mind pumping & think she will be fine, I don't see a problem. It's just a night. Just take into consideration how you think you'll feel too. I'd be homesick for them and not have any fun. Eta: I guess BF is the correct term to use lol... I did not only feed my child milk for an entire year. He did/does eat real food haha
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm also part of the attached club. The first time I was away from DS was a night I spent in the hospital for a particularly nasty norovirus when he was just over a year. DH sent him with milk from my freezer stash and I pumped what I could over night to maintain my supply. The second time I was away from him was when DS2 was born. I have a few friends who did quick overnights once baby was about 3 months old.
  • I don't think that's too young. It depends on what you're comfortable with. A night out with your hubby could be a good thing but not if you're miserable and missing your baby the whole time. 
  • Thank you for the responses. I am ok with pumping but I do feel like Harry is much more soothed by me than anyone else and I may be too worried to have fun. I might RSVP and then decide closer to the time whether to spend the night or not. 
  • The first time I left DS1 was this January and the second time was to have DS2. DS1 was 22 months. I probably could have left him overnight sooner but I wasn't ready. But if you're leaving the baby with your parents you might be ready much sooner, we don't have family that can watch our kids so that impacted when I felt comfortable leaving. 
  • That would be really hard for me. I didn't leave DD overnight until she was 10 months and even then I cried....a lot. Good luck with whatever you decide, but be prepared for tears! 
  • Personally, I would do it and feel fine about it. But it's a personal decision. 

• Agree with PP, this is definitely something individual for each person. I did my first night away from my son at 6 weeks (my husband went on a 2 week work trip right during the 6--week sleep regression and when he came back I was losing my mind so I went to his folks' house for one night to catch up on sleep while he took care of our son). I actually have a harder time leaving him overnight now than I did when he was a baby because now I think he's just funny & weird and I miss him when he's not around.
  • I have a 3 day, 2 night work trip when LO is 10 weeks old, and I'm already sure I'll be ok with it. I could leave her with my mom comfortably overnight now honestly...... Perhaps I'm too trusting 
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• edited May 2016
    kami09 said:
    The first night I left my son overnight was....giving birth to DD. 
    Same here. I didn't leave kid #1 until I had no choice (c-section) with kid #2.
    I would have rather had a birth center birth and not left #1 but that wasn't in the cards. 
    1 stayed with dad at our house for overnight so nothing too drastic even then. :) 
  • salbbsalbb member
    Hoping to leave little one with parents in a few weeks so he will be just under 9 weeks. Honestly right now am looking forward to husband and me time and sleep! I haven't been away from him for any length of time though so it may be harder than I think... But right now sounds pretty good.