Baby Names
Options

Using the name of a relatives dog

susykat77susykat77 member
edited May 2016 in Baby Names
So, my grandfather's name is Oscar and I have loved his name forever and DH also loves the name. I would really love to use it for a first name. Well, my SIL has a dog named Oscar. He is about 5 years old so he could have another 10 years or so left in him (I am not wishing him gone, I love the dog). We see them about 1-2 times a month and are very close. I am having a hard time letting go of the name because of a dog... Thoughts?

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
TTC#1 since July 2014
AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
Headed to Prague April 30
3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Using the name of a relatives dog 124 votes

Use the name Oscar anyway
55% 69 votes
No way! Don't name your child the same as the dog
9% 12 votes
Throw it in the MN position
34% 43 votes

Re: Using the name of a relatives dog

• Options
    Use it! Oscar is a normal enough name that it won't sound like you named him after the dog. Plus, it is awesome.
  • Options
    I think it would be a little confusing if you see them often and are close. I'd middle name it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    when in doubt, middle name it!
  • Options
    Thanks for the input ladies!!

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    lm45678lm45678 member
    Personally, I think it would be really weird for your kid to have the same name as the dog. Oscar is also totally NMS which makes me feel even more strongly about not using it. I would mn it if you want to use it due to family significance.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    If it bothers you then don't use it. If you're okay with it then use it. Your opinion and DH's are the only opinions that matter.
  • Options
    Pretty surprised by the poll results. I would absolutely NOT use the name Oscar if you are close with your sister in law. So much no. If you really feel like you have to use it, put it in the middle name spot.
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    Use it! It ended up that my sister's daughter has the same name as my uncle's dog. No one really cares or notices. I love Oscar, go for it! 
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • Options
    All our relatives have dogs with normal human names. It's frustrating when Max, Stella, and other great baby names are taken by animals. LOL I feel your pain. Our family dog was named Bobo and my DH loves the name Beau but I couldn't bring myself to name him after my hold good dog. Some it's a big deal, others it's not. I would most likely put it in MN spot if it were me. 
  • Options
    It worked for Indiana Jones.
  • Options
    If you love it, and it has special meaning to you, use it. Just because the dog CAN live another 10 years or so....doesn't mean that he will. He could bust loose tomorrow and get hit by a car and be dead (hopefully that doesn't happen, but it could!). If you used a different name that you didn't like as much, just because of the dog, and the dog passed away.....would you regret not using that name? I once had a dog named Sam.....the name still ended up on our list. Not because of the fact that I loved the dog, but because it is also the name of MH's grandpa, uncle, and our good friend. You wouldn't be naming the child after the dog, you would be naming him after a family member.
    I would use it. My childhood dog was Daisy, and it was also on my girl name list with DS1. Hubby wouldn't go for it, and we had a boy anyway, but I loved the name. (And that dog...)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    erinmserinms member
    Have you talked to SIL about it?  Not that she gets to decide your baby name, but if she thinks it is NBD then that makes it less likely to bother you/her/everyone.  I love the name Oscar and think naming your child after your grandpa would be great.