June 2015 Moms
Options

Cake smash Question

This is probably a really dumb question but...we're doing a cake smash photo session for LO's first birthday. I'm having a friend who owns a bakery do the cake. Do you just get a normal cake or do people usually do some special baby cake with less sugar in it or something? I'm picturing LO going totally nuts and like his eyes rolling back in his head from sugar shock. Is that part of the fun of it or am I supposed to request some special baby cake recipe or something?

Re: Cake smash Question

• Options
    I got regular cake! 
  • Options
    We did regular! Of course, we didn't let them eat near the whole thing. Probably not even a quarter of it to be honest... But definitely enough that they enjoyed it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think that's kinda the fun I am so stoked but we usually do like little 6in round cakes and I would suggest frosting not foundant they have a hard time getting through it!
  • Options
    Oooo, I wouldn't have even thought of a special baby recipe, but you're right, the sugar high and the look on their face is hilarious when they actually try it!  
  • Options
    We have a local bakery that makes smash cakes using applesauce and such. She said they get enough sugar through the frosting so she tries to make the cake portion healthier. 
  • Options
    mindaamindaa member
    Guess we're the odd ones - I made a no-sugar banana muffin. Frosted it with tofu, coconut milk and agave syrup (actually pretty good!) and topped with blueberries. Maybe that's why he threw his cake on the floor? (or because he throws everything on the floor - I later smashed it up a little, and he he ate it fine)
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    mindaa said:
    Guess we're the odd ones - I made a no-sugar banana muffin. Frosted it with tofu, coconut milk and agave syrup (actually pretty good!) and topped with blueberries. Maybe that's why he threw his cake on the floor? (or because he throws everything on the floor - I later smashed it up a little, and he he ate it fine)
    I'm not gonna lie... This sounds horrible! Lol 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    jesscmvjesscmv member
    We did regular vanilla cake with regular icing. The girls likes it but didn't eat too much of it. They'll only turn 1 once  ;)
  • Options
    From what I've seen it's perfectly normal to use a 'regular' cake recipe/mix but also perfectly normal to do a healthier version.  Just your preference and life style I suppose.  I haven't searched specifically but I've seen articles here and there online talking about different recipes you can use if you want a healthier smash cake.
  • Options
    @mindaa I'm in your tribe - no sugar in my baby's smash cake. We will use unfiltered honey for the icing. He's not used to sweet stuff (the other day his mind was blown by a few sips of 3 parts water to 1 part apple juice), so he won't miss the sugar.

I'm testing this recipe tomorrow:
    https://www.hellobee.com/2013/04/29/diy-healthy-smash-cake/

And ps, your cake sounds yummy to me. Especially the agave and blueberries
  • Options
    aj1327aj1327 member
    ^^^ I'm totally making that @virginiaunicorn11

thanks for posting! 
  • Options
    amac12999 said:
    ^^^ I'm totally making that @virginiaunicorn11

thanks for posting! 
    Oh cool! Our test turned out deliciously yesterday. At first I thought the icing was too strongly honey flavored, but on the cake, it's perfect. I may or may not have eaten the whole practice smash cake myself...
  • Options
    I wasn't even considering a smash cake but now I'm all like
  • Options
    The verdict is in: full sugar it is! When I was pregnant I was all "my baby's only going to eat paleo" and now look what happened.
  • Options
    I do admire you ladies that go the healthy route but honestly he has had cake and loves it.
  • Options
    I plan on baking LO a giant cupcake. I'm not the best baker, but thank you YOUTUBE lol we'll see!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I've decided to bake little one's cake. I'm thinking of a taller thinner cake than most you see. Did anyone have any really unique diy cakes?
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I baked a cake last night.it is fairly little but a good size for little hands. It will have lavender colored icing when finished. Our local store was practically hopeless on even ordering a sheet cake. They're understaffed for some reason and almost never have anybody working the bakery counter. They have 1 person who comes in to decorate and does a great job. They never have anybody to answer questions though.
  • Options
    My LO was suuuuper late so he turns 1 next week. We're doing a regular cake for the smash cake. I'm expecting him to throw it honestly lol.