January 2016 Moms
Options

Pelvic Floor Physio

Hey Ladies! 
I just wanted to share my experience as I know a lot of women don't know about the magic that is pelvic floor physio! LO was born on Jan 22 after 13 hours of active labor including 3 grueling hours of pushing! This resulted in a very stretched out, ineffective pelvic floor on my part in spite of me working very hard to maintain it throughout pregnancy. My midwife recommended I attend pelvic floor physio and although at first I was hesitant as I was informed she does internal exams and I wasn't sure about having a physiotherapist poking around down there. I was so wrong! Yes, she did to internal exams but she was so caring and approachable that it was never awkward. I was having some issues resuming intercourse and with some dribbling after I peed and she helped me figure out why, helped me improve my kegels and made me realize me abs are actually TOO strong! Who knew? 
I am so grateful I was given the opportunity to take advantage of such an amazing resource, I couldn't imagine going through this without her expertise! If any of you are having any issues, such as leaking urine with things like jumping, running, sneezing, coughing etc, or difficulty having sex or issues with bulging, bowels or anything else 'down there' I HIGHLY recommend you seek out a pelvic floor physio (sometimes called women's health physio) in your area and making an appointment!! 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Pelvic Floor Physio

• Options
    Thanks for posting this! I just saw a physical therapist who specializes in postpartum issues, and I'm so happy I did. I got tips on painful sex stuff (I tore, I'm healed up now, but I learned how the scar tissue can still be the cause of some pain). I also got tips on some ab stuff since I discovered that I had a minor abdominal separation. 

Postpartum care for us moms is really overlooked and not talked about enough, I think, even though there is so much going on with our bodies recovering! 
  • Options
    Definitely agree. I didn't realize that after pushing for 5 hours my pelvic floor was tight but also weak at the same time. I was having issues peeing (like i had to think about it to relax the muscles) and had occasional leaking. I started doing Dr. Sarah Duvalls pelvic floor perfect program (she is a PT but her programs are online). After 7-8 weeks of working with her my pelvic floor was back to normal. So amazing to be back to my old self. Best part my postpartum hemorrhoids went away!