November 2015 Moms
Options

Can your baby fall asleep in their crib on their own?

2»

Re: Can your baby fall asleep in their crib on their own?

• Options
    An hour and a half is a pretty long time but at least you were standing over her. I couldn't do it. 
  • Options
    Well, we're slowly getting there.  We started cosleeping because it was the only way to get any sleep at all, no blankets, 1 pillow each, and we adjusted the sleep number to 90 (ugh, so stiff, but at least I'm getting some sleep!)  She still needs a buddy close by but if you put her in bed, turn on the white noise and give her a binky, she's half way out already.  No more hours of holding and rocking!  She gets up twice, sometimes thrice to eat, which sounds like too much but she had lost weight at her last appt, she needs to bulk up while she gets a handle on solids, so I'm going with it for now.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    missphil said:
    @missphil MIL is afraid LO might cry. :neutral: 
    Can she try rocking him to sleep? My friend's MIL does that and it works well for her. Her daughter used to never nap. But the MIL is very patient. 
    Research shows that crying in arms does not raise cortisol (stress) levels in baby, while crying alone in the crib does.
    I'm sure she could rock her to sleep, but I'm sure she will never try. I'm too done with MIL to give her an opportunity at this point anyway. Apparently I'm a terrible mother and wife because my baby is having sleep issues.
    Just wanted to say you have my sympathy.  My mom stayed for a few days this week while DH was on a business trip and I got similar crap from her.  She used to just toss me into my crib and let me sort myself out.  The fact that I don't do that, and that I hold LO for most of the day & pick her up when she cries, means I'm spoiling her.  And making her "weird" bc I still BF.  TBH I think my mom forgets what it was like dealing with an infant, every time I ask her anything her answer is "well you have to understand I went back to work...."

That went into a tangent, but moms/MILs/anyone who doesn't get why all babies aren't easy babies are annoying.

QBF.

My mom judges me for "not holding DS enough", and putting him in his crib while almost, but not completely asleep, and not rocking him completely to sleep.  There's just no winning!
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    AmoLovesAudAmoLovesAud member
    edited July 2016

So we had a few good weeks with cosleeping.  Then randomly DH decided no more.  I was optimistic since she was down to 3 wakeups per night, thought whatever bad sleep association/regression bits were past.  Even got her to fall asleep IN the crib (with a hand hold).... nope.  Up every hour or so again.  Aparently this kid WILL NOT sleep unless being held.  Of course DH wants me to go back to cuddle to sleep then transfer to crib again.  No more.  I can't do it anymore.  Either DH gets on board with some kind of sleep training to break her of this or... IDK.  But I just can not do it anymore.

Update to say, DH still isn't cool with any kind of sleep training (even "mini cry it out" as he put it, which was my plan of holding her hand, shushing, singing, etc. basically every soothing method the whole way EXCEPT picking her up), BUT, he is going to take over the majority of wake ups for awhile (I will still nurse the 2-3 times she needs it at night).  He's allowed to do it for a week, then we will start weaning her off needing so much soothing.  And TBH, I don't think she needs as much soothing as DH thinks.  I think he still wants her to be the delicate clingy newborn we brought home, not the halfway to toddlerhood 7.5 month old we have now.

• Options
    My only lay to claim so far is that we're starting to wean her off the yoga ball finally...ish. I bounce for a minute or two and then stop for 5-10 seconds and repeat. She seems to be used to it now, so I'll either stop for a longer period of time or I'll go a shorter time between stopping. She still is held for naps and we co sleep. She will not sleep unless bounced. Never the car, nothing. Step one, get her off yoga ball. Step two...unknown:
  • Options
    Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited July 2016
    We started sleep training (pick up put down method) on Friday and we are getting close to her falling asleep on her own in her crib for night sleep! She is doing it but with a little shushing and massage. This is a huge step considering she never went down for night sleep without being bounced/rocked until she was sound asleep. She's now falling asleep in her crib with a little help and sleeping 4-5hr stretches, which is huge for us. Naps are a bit tougher as we always held her but we're getting there.