May 2016 Moms

Jack Robert Scott

I'm tardy to the party since Jack is more than 2 weeks old, but here is his birth story...and it's a little rough.

I was induced at 41 weeks on Sunday May 8th.  They gave the first dose of meds at 630, the next at 1030.  When 230 rolled around my contractions were too close together, so they decided to wait it out a bit to see how everything went.  Things were slow moving so at 9am they started Pitocin.  At this point I got a dose of the painkiller Stadol...which is now on my list of "medications I am allergic to."  Who knew. What I remember is laying in bed feeling weird from the meds when an anesthesiologist walked into my room and said "I'm here for your C-section." I went into a panic and he realized that he was in the wrong damn room.  Unfortunately with the medication my brain was on lock down...I couldn't process anything clearly, was totally confused and freaking out.  My husband had gone to the store, which I didn't remember.  Actually I didn't even remember him coming to the hospital with me.  I think those few moments were some of the worst of my life.  I was in a complete panic, no one was with me and there was a guy telling me he was there for my C-section. The next series of events is pretty foggy for me...the nurse came back, my doctor came in, at some point we agreed on starting the epidural because alllll I could feel was the pain of the contractions, and I couldn't lift my head up or open my eyes.  The  anesthesiologist duo came back to the room (And I'm pretty sure I will hate these guys forever btw) and argued with my nurse that they couldn't do the epi because they were there for a C-section.  The nurse explained a few times that my dr wanted the epi done first because they weren't ready to start the C-section.  They proceeded to give her a hard time and tell her to page someone else because that's not why they were there.  (WTF, right?).  Eventually, and I'm not sure how it was resolved, they consented to do, you know, their JOB and do my epidural.  One of them stands over me (still can't pick up my head or open my eyes) and says "so what's your medical history?"  Ummm WTF, all of it??  Did you have a specific question?  He was an asshole.  THEN they tried to tell my husband to wait outside.  I said no, I want him in here.  They argued with me and said it was their policy to have SOs or whoever wait outside.  I argued back and said I didn't want him to leave.  Dbag #2 says "why exactly do you need him here?"  Umm maybe because I'm quite literally out of my mind right now and all the two of you keep saying is let's do a C-section.  My nurse intervened and got my husband a chair, told him to sit in front of me and that was that.  Oh, and then as they were about to begin I had to get through another contraction, and dbag#1 says "I hope you're having a contraction because I haven't even started yet."  No really...I HATE these guys.

Ahhh...epi placed and I spent the next 5 or so hours in and out of a blackout-drunk-type stupor until enough of the Stadol wore off. Once I was lucid enough to converse my dr came back in.  I told him that I didn't really understand everything that had happened to me, and that I felt like I had made the wrong choice getting the pain medication because everything had fallen apart after that.  I seriously felt like I had ruined everything.  That's when he explained to me that I had an allergic reaction to the pain medication, and there was no way to know that would happen.  I still felt awful.  

Fortunately baby J was doing great this whole time.  He was probably hoping that he wouldn't be evicted after all since he seemed to like it in there so much :)  I however was not doing so great.  My blood pressure was consistently high, in the 160s, and it stayed high for almost 2 weeks after delivery. Not fun.

23 hours after induction started, it was time to push.  I pushed on my side for 90 minutes & Jack was in my arms :)  He had A LOT to say, and chattered at me for over an hour.  The epi had worn off by the time they were doing the stitches, so I felt those, again not fun.  All in all I'm glad I didn't put any time into a birth plan, because literally NONE of these things would have been on it!!!  It's ok though, because all 8 lbs 4oz and 21 inches of my son are perfect.  He's stubborn, wants his bottle in his mouth within 60 seconds of waking up, and refuses to latch (bye bye BFing dreams).  Oh, and he hates baths, as you can see from the picture.  But he sleeps like a champ, eats like a champ, and every time I pick him up he cuddles down into my shoulder for love and I am reminded that every second of it was totally worth it.

PS - a 3rd anesthesiologist (hereafter referred to as dbag #3) came to my room the next morning and demanded to know why no one had told him I was having my epidural out.  I told him I was pretty sure it wasn't on my list of responsibilities. 

Re: Jack Robert Scott

• yogahhyogahh member
    Wow! What a bunch of dbags. Have you filed a complaint?

Baby jack is beautiful (that's my fav boys name btw. Such a strong name!). Congrats mommy!!!

cat fail animated GIF

• Agreed- file a complaint!

and Jack is precious!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • What a horrible group of anesthesiologists!!  I third filing a complaint, seriously.  That aside, congrats on your beautiful baby boy!  
  • Wow! Glad your little guy made it out safely. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• A complaint would unfortunately go nowhere because they are closing the maternity ward by August. I think part of the contention in the whole situation had something to do with the high tensions surrounding the whole closing issue. When dbag #3 asked who took out my epi & I gave him my ob's name, he literally huffed and stormed away.  I guess the good part of that is that there's no way I'll have to deal with these guys for future children.

LOL oh yeah...forgot to mention that the 3rd anesthesiologist asked me if anyone had taken the epi out or if I still had it...while I was standing in front of him. Yup, just walking around holding my baby with an epidural. Obviously. 
  • mcb2016mcb2016 member
    He's darling! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• ***lurking from july*** even if you don't think it would do any good, you should still complain.  your experience sounds terrifying and it would be cathartic just to have it out there somewhere on paper.  when we had issues with a resident pediatrician when DS1 was born (she told me that my son's brain wasn't going to develop properly because he wasn't eating enough while I was trying desperately to make BF work), we complained and refused to pay her bill.  

congratulations! jack is so handsome!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Funny you should mention the bill...the anesthesiologist one was the 1st to arrive!! It got here before we left the hospital. 
  • Jeez, and I thought my anesthesiologists was bad with my 1st! You didn't deserve that kind of treatment. I feel sorry for those patients & nurses that have to deal with them.

But he is so handsome and you did a great job!!! Congrats!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Omg I'm sorry about your experience! I can't believe that you had 3 dbag anesthesiologists on top of everything else. You definitely have a super cute boy. I love his name too. 
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • So I just stumbled upon this because I searched to see if anyone else had a terrible experiance with Stadol. I also had a bad reaction to Stadol and my doctor said she had never seen anyone react that way.  Odd that we were in the same hospital and had similar weird reaction to the same drug...
  • Huh. That's very odd. 

How did you react (pm me if you dont want it out there)?
  • Initially I thought I was paralyzed. So people were talking to me and I couldn't respond to them. The contraction pain felt exactly the same, just as painful but I couldn't physically react. Then the hallucinations started. I was in room 4 and there was a picture on the wall of stones in a river, but I saw a creepy face instead.  I thought I was being chased by drug cartel at some point.  At that point I was able to verbalize slightly so my doctor and husband realized I was having hallucinations. It took a long while for it to wear off and it really stripped me of my coping abilities.  
  • YES. THIS EXACTLY.
  • Weird. They made it seem like a reaction to Stadol was so rare, but clearly there had just been one a few days before.  
    By the way,  you should complain about the anesthesiologists because they aren't getting laid off in the closure. They are the anesthesiologists for the whole hospital so they are sticking around until CNE manages to get the whole hospital closed.