April 2016 Moms
Options

Too young for a sleep schedule?

LO is 5.5 weeks and not a terrible sleeper but she fights it.  She refuses to take a pacifier so she soothes on the boob.  Loud noises seem to be the biggest problem, but having a 3 yo in the houe, keeping the noise level down isn't always possible.

She does OK in the am with sleep, but in the pm she's a beast.  At night she's only getting up twice.  Thoughts?

Re: Too young for a sleep schedule?

• Options
    runningwildrunningwild member
    edited May 2016
    I don't really know the answer to your question. But I am in the same boat. I have a very loud almost 3yr old a 7yr old. So the noise is a problem for us too. 

Mine usually only wakes twice at night as well. I  feel like she's ready for a 'loose schedule,' but don't know exactly how to implement it. I'll be interested in the feedback from others :)

eta-- mine will be 7 weeks tomorrow 
  • Options
    We didn't have one with DD1 until she was six months.  LO is doing ok, but she doesn't consider bed until 10:30 and it is getting bad, not to mention I go back to work in a few weeks.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS is 6 weeks and we have been loosely following a schedule since he was born. He pretty regularly eats every three hours during the day (approximately 7, 10, 1, 4, 7) with bedtime at 8. We wake him around 10 to eat again, then he *usually* sleeps 4-5 hours at a time at night. It's not always perfect (sometimes far from it, hello 6-week growth spurt!) but we keep working at it. :) 
  • Options
    Can you put LO in a different room with a closed door and a fan/sound machine to help block noise? I put my baby to bed around 8:00 at night, or earlier if he starts acting tired. I dim the lights in our tv room and rock him after he eats for "quiet winding down time" then take him in my bedroom and put him in his woombie and lay him in either his bassinet or his rnp. I have the lights turned off in my bedroom, curtains closed and my bedside fan on for white noise. If he is in a good mood and not overly tired, he will go right to sleep. If he is fussy then it takes a few tries to get him to sleep,  usually I have to lay down in my bed with him snuggled next to me, and he will fall asleep. Once he is asleep and Ive worked up enough courage and prayed to God, then I carefully with painstakingly calculated movements,  transfer him from my bed to his. 
  • Options
    LO is only 4 wks, but has been compliant with a 7pm-ish bedtime for about 2 wks now, which is great because that's when our other kids go down. He wakes once or twice at night. His morning nap routine hasn't been the greatest because I have to take him with me to drop off DD1 at preschool and take DD1 to occupational therapy. He usually gives me a 3 hour afternoon nap, which has been great, but requires that I stay inside when the kids are ready to play in the backyard. 
    As for the noise issue, we have sound machines in all of our kids' rooms. However, LO sleeps pretty well with the background noise of the other three kids playing noisily.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @loveymay Right now we live in a very small two bedroom and LO rooms in with us.  For some reason the bedrooms don't have doors.  This didn't bother us when we moved because we only planned to be in the house a year tops and rent is really cheap.  We have a curtain up, but that only does so much.

I am beginning to wonder if we aren't dealing with the six week growth spurt early since she's been sleeping like crap and wanting to eat non stop.  Her sleep this week has been particularly bad.
  • Options
    Week 5 is a wonder week. I assumed that you've had these issues for a while. If it's just recent, it's because of the first wonder week.
  • Options
    Is week 7 a wonder week?
  • Options
    korpatch said:
    Is week 7 a wonder week?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    So it's going to get worse?
  • Options
    It's important to note those assume that the baby was born at full term. Weeks may be off for babies born early.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    It's important to note those assume that the baby was born at full term. Weeks may be off for babies born early.
    Yes, they are according to due date, not birthdate. 
  • Options
    There's an app for the wonder weeks. Might be worth the $2 if you're wondering when baby will be fussy and what you can do to help them through each "leap." We build our summer vacations around them because I know how bad they can sometimes be.
  • Options
    He was born 100% on time and definitely hasn't been following that schedule...
  • Options
    LO is only 4 wks, but has been compliant with a 7pm-ish bedtime for about 2 wks now, which is great because that's when our other kids go down. He wakes once or twice at night. His morning nap routine hasn't been the greatest because I have to take him with me to drop off DD1 at preschool and take DD1 to occupational therapy. He usually gives me a 3 hour afternoon nap, which has been great, but requires that I stay inside when the kids are ready to play in the backyard. 
    As for the noise issue, we have sound machines in all of our kids' rooms. However, LO sleeps pretty well with the background noise of the other three kids playing noisily.
    That is really awesome for a 4 week old. Any other nsps besidethe afternoon nap? And if you put him down at 7 pm he only wakes once or twice per night? Whats your secret? At what time do you wake him in the morning? 
  • Options
    That is really awesome for a 4 week old. Any other nsps besidethe afternoon nap? And if you put him down at 7 pm he only wakes once or twice per night? Whats your secret? At what time do you wake him in the morning? 
    He's my first of four to go to bed at 7 this early on. It was 3 mos for the rest of them. And yes, he only wakes once or twice/night. He's up for the day at 6, which is ok with me because the others get up before 6:30 usually.  For the last couple days, I've been extremely conscious of his awake times. I've found that he can only be awake for 45 min before he needs another nap. This has made for a much happier baby (and mama), but requires me to be home more than I'd like.
  • Options
    @kielpinskim what does he sleep in?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @kielpinskim what does he sleep in?
    Either a swaddleme, a halo swaddlesack, or a miracle blanket (so, in other words, swaddled nice and snug). 
    ETA: for both naps and night time
    and
    nightly baths (no soap, just shampoo on his hair every few days) have been helpful because he knows that bedtime comes after bath
  • Options
    He seems to be ready for a schedule. I think we are going to try out baby wise loosely. I'm going to use the principles of it anyway.
  • Options
    Anyone ever use the baby merlin's magic sleepsuit? I just saw an ad for this in FB and it seems to have good reviews. I'm considering it...
  • Options
    Anyone ever use the baby merlin's magic sleepsuit? I just saw an ad for this in FB and it seems to have good reviews. I'm considering it...
    Just read the description on Amazon, it's for 3-6 months when you want to transition out of a swaddle and quell the startle reflexes. I hope to use a swaddle for a while still, and Mason's still just 7 weeks, so no sleep suit for me... But looks like a solid product for an older baby.
  • Options
    So after day two of dream feeding, baby slept from 8:30-5:30 with a dream feed at 10:00!
  • Options
    We did with DS1 at 7.5 weeks (even though it says 3-6 months) and it was phenomenal. I'm about to get it out of storage for C so we can use it again. If you get one, dress LO as usual for bedtime...they don't keep them warm like you'd think they would. 
  • Options
    Just read the description on Amazon, it's for 3-6 months when you want to transition out of a swaddle and quell the startle reflexes. I hope to use a swaddle for a while still, and Mason's still just 7 weeks, so no sleep suit for me... But looks like a solid product for an older baby.
    Yes, we used it after a few months with DS. It's for an older baby, but it's made out of fleece, so it's pretty warm.
  • Options
    brittonlinbrittonlin member
    edited June 2016
    Using Merlins Sleepsuit now. Love it and so does the little guy. We got the cotton one since its summer. 

(Edited bc I meant to quote question above and did it wrong.)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LO is 6 weeks old and absolutely hated being swaddled so we stopped swaddling her two weeks ago and she is sleeping better. She would fight and try to get her hands out for awhile before falling asleep. We have her in a regular halo sleep sack. 

The last two nights I have given her a bottle at 7:30, rocked her to sleep and placed her in her crib by 9. The first night she was fussy around 1:30, so I gave her her pacifier and she slept till 5. The second night she was not fussy till 3:30 and the pacifier only worked until 4:30. 

We had her in the bassinet before and she would go 6 hour stretches but since she is no longer swaddled we noticed that her arms were hitting the sides and possibly waking her. 

So while some babies have to be swaddled it appears that some might do better not being swaddled. 
  • Options
    My little guy struggles against the swaddle, but won't sleep for long periods of time without it. That is normal
  • Options
    My 6 week old son has been on a schedule for the past 2 weeks. Bath 8:45 Bottle 9:15 Bed 9:45. He knows when he goes to the bedroom where it dark and his bed is je needs to go to bed. First 3 nights he cried but now he doesn't. He usually wakes up around 2 and again around 4:30 and will sleep til 8am. I love it when its time go to put him in the bath! 

We are very consistent. I think even though she may be a bit a fussy she will get used to a consistent schedule.
  • Options
    We've been following a loose routine for the last week of 8pm being bath time, then a feeding when he gets a half ounce more than he usually does, a long snuggle session, and off to his nursery. He sleeps in the crib for the first 3 hours of the night, since my husband gets out of work late and the house gets noisy around 10pm when he comes home and we unwind. Once Mason wakes up for his first feeding, we have usually quieted down. At that point I'll move him to the PNP in the room to spend the majority of the night with us. That way he is near us for the most part, but he's already getting used to spending some crib time.
  • Options
    fourtsixand2fourtsixand2 member
    edited June 2016
    Chiming in a little late but my (almost) 9 week old is sleeping all night, and has been for about 2 weeks. There is the occasional slip up here and there, but what I do is simple. 
    Baby has been waking up between 7:30-9:00am in the morning.
    I get him up to feed, then we lay together once finished. The rest of the day continues with feedings every 3-4 hours, time in the swing, on playmat, errands, snuggles, etc. I keep it fairly bright during the day. 
    I do not put him in his crib in his nursery til it's nighttime, unless i lay him down for a midday nap. (I think it's important to differentiate between where you sleep for day and night).
    Between 9:00 and 10:00pm I put him to bed after a good feeding. Fill that tummy!
    Then, I wake him up at midnight and do one more feed, as much as he'll take. I make sure it's fairly quiet and dimly lit so he knows it's sleepytime.
    After feeding, a quick diaper change with very little talking or interaction, then a swaddle with a light blanket and back into crib  
    It's what works for us and had been producing 7-9 hour sleeps at night. I haven't tried eliminating the midnight feed, but I'm not a morning person so I'd much rather gain an extra couple of hours in the morning, rather than eliminating the midnight feed and being up at 6:00am or earlier. 
    Good luck moms!!!
  • Options
    Quick question. What is a wonder week and a dream sleep? 
  • Options
    Quick question. What is a wonder week and a dream sleep? 
    Wonder weeks are a theory of infant development based on a book by an Australian author (I believe he is a psychologist). They're a popular school of thought categorizes the development into weeks and what the babies are learning during that time, along with how much of a terror they're turning into ;) It's similar to looking for growth spurts around certain weeks. 

Dream sleep not sure... Dream feed is just when you don't wake them up completely and kind of feed the baby in a dimly lit room while they're half asleep. This is initiated by the parent and not the baby, usually so they keep sleeping because they didn't wake up hysterically hungry.
  • Options
    @fourtsixand2 Sounds like your baby is doing great. So where does he sleep during the day? Is he in his own room at night?