August 2016 Moms

Hostess Gifts for Shower?

Hi - I am lucky enough to have 2 showers, one in Maryland and one in Florida (I grew up in MD, all of my family is there and I've lived in South FL for 9 years), both in June.  I am trying to find something cute to give my friends and family as a thank you for hosting my shower.  Anything cute anyone has done they'd like to share?

Re: Hostess Gifts for Shower?

• No ideas yet, but I'll be waiting to see what others say! My best friend is throwing me one in a couple weeks, despite the fact that she is moving out of her house in a few days and has so much going on. I'd really like to do something nice for her.
  • I did mason jar tumbler cups filled with pink stuff last time.  Gum, nail polish, files, candy, sonic gift cards, etc.  For my "big" shower I also gave them beach towels. Pretty basic, but they seemed to enjoy it.
  • Loading the player...
  • We did a tea and cakes theme, so I did a basket filled with kitchen goodies (brightly colored mixing spoons, spatula, cake mix, frosting, etc.)

There is a picture on the baby shower thread.

I think the "traditional" gift is to give them shower themed baskets - body wash, loufa's, etc. Both my friends have sensitive skin, so I know they wouldn't use bath and body works type of stuff.

• I'm also looking for unique ideas. Mine is being hosted by my sister (who has an abundance of Bath & Body works items) and my best friend (who has sensitive skin), so the shower themed basket is probably not the best idea. My sister has 2 kids (one toddler) and my best friend is pregnant and due in November, so I've thought about maybe a gift card for them to get a pedi. Maybe something else to help them pamper themselves? 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • For the one my BFF (who loves to cook) hosted, I bought a cute ceramic olive oil dispenser with some fancy olive oil. For the one my husband's aunts are hosting, I found some really cute tea towels that say "Eat chocolate for breakfast". I'm going to use them to wrap up boxes of chocolate from a local chocolatier. 

@mamaksquared I think gift cards for pedis (or any other pampering) are always a great option! 
  • I am ordering little gift sets from Lush. You can get them prewrapped and everything. I am all about low maintenance online shopping, and there are a ton of different "themed" sets to choose from starting at $15.

Here is a link for your convenience:
    https://www.lushusa.com/Wrapped-Gifts/wrapped,en_US,sc.html#srule=price-low-to-high&start=0&sz=16 
  • I got these Starbucks cups filled with brown and white sparkly string things from the dollar store and a Starbucks gift card. 

Here is a pic of what the cups looked like.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My shower theme was Kentucky Derby so I got the two hosts monogrammed mint julep cups filled with fresh flowers.
  • tmk0325tmk0325 member
    This might be strange, but I've never received a gift for hosting a shower and I've hosted quite a few for people. I don't think it's something people do around here. But a cute idea that you could do would be to get a few bouquets of flowers or hanging baskets to give out with a card. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm also having two showers.  One is just a very small group of friends and family in my hometown but two of my good friends are hosting it.  I'm probably going to get them each a Kendra Scott necklace or something nice like that.  Might even add a bottle of wine or something.  
  • My friend who is hosting mine is a single mom so I know she doesn't have the most expendable income, and she chose a nice restaurant to have it at. I told her we could definitely have it at my house with sandwiches to keep the cost down but she insisted it be at the restaurant which is quite pricey. So I really want to show my gratitude- I'm giving her a $120 gift card to her favorite upscale restaurant (that's the average check there).
  • I never heard of giving a gift to the shower host... have I had my head in the sand?
    Married - 4/7/07
    Son #1- 2/15/08
    Son #2- 8/18/10
    Baby 3 due 8/8/16
  • I got my mother in law who hosted Dead Sea Salt Body Scrub from Sabon - beautiful packaging and great pamper me gift.  I'm not sure what I'm going to get my mother yet... She likes to read a lot, so was thinking a gift card to buy more kindle books. But might get something else nice with it.
  • I ordered my three hosts ribbonwick candles in beautiful containers that can be reused after the candle is gone as general decor containers. All three of my hosts love scented candles, and I also bought one for myself :) 

https://www.candlestomydoor.com/ribbonwick-candle-premium-collection.html
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • I bought my mom & sister pedicures. We went 2 days before my shower so we all had cute toes for the big day : )
  • bbyTbbyT member
    Wolfie646 said:
    I got my mother in law who hosted Dead Sea Salt Body Scrub from Sabon - beautiful packaging and great pamper me gift.  I'm not sure what I'm going to get my mother yet... She likes to read a lot, so was thinking a gift card to buy more kindle books. But might get something else nice with it.
    You might want to get her bubble bath or soaking items- that way she can relax and read all at the same time. I love reading in the tub. If she hasn't done it before it might be a little hard at first- if she does have electronic or even paper books. But most of the time you are just soaking so you don't have to worry to much about getting your hands wet.