September 2015 Moms
Options

Daycare requires spray sunscreen!

I just got a note from daycare my son needs spray no rub sunscreen for body and I stick for face but I'm not ok with sprays even for myself. Is there anything I can do? I don't want him getting sunscreen inhaled 

Re: Daycare requires spray sunscreen!

• Options
    That doesn't seem right. I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that you're not supposed to use the spray stuff on young kids. Maybe check with your ped, he or she can send a note with you to the daycare saying that no spray sunscreens should be used on your lo
  • Options
    That seems weird to me too. We use the babyganics that does spray, but it's a rub in lotion, not an aerosol. I wonder if that's what they mean? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's strange.  Our school is the opposite.  Camp for my school age kids requires spray OR you can apply your own before you come.  Is that an option for you - apply the rub on kind before school!  I was thinking of printing articles about why the spray is bad and sending that to the head of camp, but I realized my opinion doesn't matter out of 600+ campers!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The daycare I worked at didn't allow spray sunscreen for that reason! I wouldn't be very happy...
  • Options
    Call the director of the daycare today. That's what I would do. Nicely have a convo about it to come up with an alternative! My LO was allergic as hell to his baby copper tone with zinc. 7.5 months old and had an AWFUL rash for 4 days!!! it showed up within 1-2 minutes of application! Now I won't use anything on him. Suns shirts with built in protection, light weight cotton pants and long sleeve shirts. Shade! Also a big sun hat that covers his neck and face. And get ahold of his doctor for a note. They won't ignore that! 
  • Options
    @aharders89 they specifically said no rub spray. They say apply at home then they will reapply when they go out. 
  • Options
    Pretty sure our pediatrician said no sprays!
  • Options
    They just did a report on the Today show about how spray sunscreens should be used by adults only. I'm surprised no other parents have come to them with concerns! 
  • Options
    No way would I use the no-rub sprays on little kids-I won't even use it on myself. I'd express your concerns, and provide what you are comfortable with. If they persist, get a Dr's note. 

I dont buy that they don't have time. I have a home daycare with up to 6 kids including my own, and I manage to coat them all in sunblock. I just start a half hour before, while they're busy with an activity or snack and pull them aside one at a time. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. I'm not sure how to bring my concerns forward because just the other day I politely said (not in these words I'm about to say lol) my kid gets a diaper rash every week at your establishment could you guys check more often for poop. He poops usually 4 times a day or more. Anyway daycare lady says all kids get rashes your kid poops more than normal my staff know ointment every time ( which I have a paper from them stating that they didn't put ointment on till after 2 bm. So after that rude response I'm not sure my concerns matter to her
  • Options
    Was she the owner or director?? I would also report her rude comment that contradicts what the paperwork says. I was a nanny for years and there are ways to have those conversations in a positive way and outcome. When dealing with the care of infants and kids, open communication is KEY! She should have said: of course we will start checking his diaper more often and stay on top of it!!  
  • Options

https://adequateman.deadspin.com/your-go-to-sunscreen-might-not-actually-work-1778486535

https://m.motherjones.com/environment/2016/05/sunscreen-best-uva-skin-cancer-protection-2016

Two interesting articles regarding sunscreen.  Also, on somewhat of a side note, check out the Environmental Work Group website and app.  I find it very eye opening.  
  • Options
    @LoveLee85 owner and director