September 2015 Moms
Options

Pack the pump?

we are scheduled to go on a week long trip in July. LO gets BM and is on solids. I pump while at work but I just nurse on weekends (no pumping). So I don't think I will need my pump because I only use it away from him. But for some reason, I feel like I should bring it just in case...in case of I don't know what? I am prone to clogging and sometimes use it to help get things moving if LO can get it. Or what if a miracle happens and he sleeps more that two hours and I wake up engorged.  Do you bring your pump?? Do you place it in your diaper bag or do you have to carry it in a separate bag because it is considered medical equipment?

Re: Pack the pump?

• Options
    jen83mnjen83mn member
    I'm traveling by plane this weekend for a week and contemplated the same thing. I do the same as you: nurse when home, pump at work, baby is also on some solids. I decided to pack my small manual pump since it takes up less space and I only plan on pumping once a day in the morning when he only eats from one side. I'll bring a few bottles along that attach to the pump and LO can drink out of. I just want him to get a few bottles that week so he doesn't become too attached to nursing and refuse to take his bottles when we get home. I doubt that would happen at this stage, but I don't want to chance it!

If you do decide to pack your pump, I would assume you could do either: pack in diaper bag if room or carry separately. I think you're allowed to carry it separetely since it's medical equipment in addition to all your other bags, but doesn't hurt to check the TSA website to be sure :)
  • Options
    Can you hand express? I've never taken a pump if travelling with baby. One time with DD1 she slept through the night, and I woke up uncomfortable, hand expressed into a clean juice glass, and stuck it in the fridge (it was only us and DH at the cottage!). She was 8mo, and it was her first time having BM from an open cup (we had given her shot glasses of water for practice, or sippy with BM).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @jen83mn oh the things we worry about because there is a small possibility. I will check tea, good idea. Thanks!

@ForeverEverAfterI can hand express. Slow process for me but it will give relief. That is an option.  Thanks!
  • Options
    Do you plan to drink alcohol or caffeine and need to possibly pump and dump? 
  • Options
    I would pack it. The pump is small and doesn't take up much room. And it will give you piece of mind. Better safe than sorry, one less thing to think about.
  • Options
    It is considered a medical device and does not count toward your allotted number of carry-ons.  You can also bring as much milk, water or food through security when you're traveling with your LO and you're not subject to the less than 3 oz rule. 

Ive traveled with my pump a bunch of times.  Better safe than sorry!