Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Retained products of conception following Cytotec

I am hoping to get some advice. I had a MMC and took Cytotec this time instead of D&C. Went back for follow-up ultrasound and still had retained products of conception. OB gave me two options, a third D&C or waiting for my period to see if it pushes everything out. Has anyone had this and your period cleared everything out? I was trying to avoid yet another D&C, but if the period doesn't get rid of everything I will end up with another D&C anyway. I cannot find ANY info online! 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Re: Retained products of conception following Cytotec

• I used misoprostal which is the same drug just different manufacturer to induce my miscarriage at 9 weeks in August, 2015.  I went for the initial ultrasound 5 days after and the tech said everything was clear.  I spotted for 6 weeks and asked for a follow up ultrasound and the tech said there was possible remnants of conception.  Also at this time, I had enough hcg present to give a positive pregnancy test.

My options were to do a d and c or let my body purge itself on its own time.  I had a regular period in Oct and followup ultrasound in Nov showed a clear uterus.

It took longer than I expected but my body did figure itself out and returned to normal.
  • @malariew3 Do you know how long it took from taking the meds to getting your period?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a slightly different situation, which was retained products of conception following d&c.  I was actually in a lot of pain from it, so about 4 days after my d&c, I went to the ER and they did not recommend another d&c, but told me to take Cytotec.  Did that, seemed like I passed something, but then at my 2-week post-op appointment, there was still retained material.  It took about 12 weeks from my d&c to get my first AF, and then my second AF (which was normal, timing wise) was really heavy bleeding, and my RE said that I passed the last of the retained material at that time.  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • @krluvsjh I took the meds Aug 17 and 18.   Sept 11-ultrasound showing possible remnants.
    Sept 21- positive pregnancy test
    Sept 27- period (i dont completely count this as a period cuz I didnt have much of a break in bleeding between taking the meds and this)
    Oct-26 period
  • fioripfiorip member
    I had retained tissue after a D&E, about a week after my first period I had another US and it had all cleared up. If it was me I would try avoiding the third D&C, just push it off and only get it if it's absolutely necessary. Best of luck. 
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers