December 2016 Moms
Options

FTM- Advice on Buying Maternity Clothes?

I don't have many women in my life who I can talk to for tips and advice so I love all these topics. 

I'm not due until the very end of December (new years baby) but I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice/tips to buying maternity clothes. I am clueless! Do you buy in your usual size? Anything that is a must have or anything that isn't really necessary? 

Re: FTM- Advice on Buying Maternity Clothes?

• Options
    beff12beff12 member
    You do buy in your usual size! So if you wear a medium shirt, buy a medium maternity shirt. Motherhood Maternity has a fake belly you can strap on and get an idea of how your clothes will look once your belly is bigger!

I also bought some cheap tank tops from Walmart when I was pregnant with DD. They weren't maternity, I just bought them in a bigger size. It was so much cheaper than an actual maternity shirt and I kept wearing them after she was born when I was just bumming around the house :) 

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• Options
    yellingbananayellingbanana member
    edited May 2016
    One thing I never splurged on was 'maternity bra', they're basically wireless bras. I just got regular bras in bigger sizes as the girls grew. But DO have some breastfeeding bras ready if you plan on Bf baby. Those are a must.

When buying maternity tops, make sure they are long enough, some are surprisingly short. Also, be careful how you wash them so they don't shrink! I love the maternity tops that are cinched at the sides, sometimes I ended up pulling down over and over. But the ones that are cinched at the sides seem to stay. 

I have 2 sizes of maternity pants: the ones that have a short band and fit now until about 6/7 months, and the ones with fabric that goes up to your boobs- for about 5/6 months on. 

Also, there are a lot of clothes out there that aren't maternity but can be used as so. There are also maternity clothes that can pass for regular comfy clothes for after delivery. 

Good luck!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My SIL gave me her lot of clothes, which I plan on finally going through this weekend. Her youngest is 4, so hopefully they won't be out of style and fit.

But for me, I have to dress business casual 4 days a week. I already owned a bunch of maxi skirts and plan on wearing them as long as they still work. I also have bought some dresses (like shirt dresses) in my normal size that I know I can still wear for a few more months.

But, I went out last week with my mom and bought black dress pants, a pair of jean shorts and a pair of jean capris (Kohls). For now, I figure those will be good to wear after my normal dress pants/jeans start to get too tight and the rubberband trick just won't work anymore. Oh, I also bought some leggings from Old Navy. I plan on wearing dresses/tunics for a majority of this pregnancy, and especially in to Fall.

I also bought some plain shirts from Target, which I had read stretch but stretch back in the wash. I can easily wear them now, during and after. They were $6 on sale when I got them... Merona brand. I figure I will get a lot of wear with skirts especially.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on clothes, but know I will need a few staples - like dress pants, some dressier blouses, etc. for work. My basic white tanks have gotten tight, so I have ordered some maternity ones from Target, along with workout compression pants... mine are getting tight!

Oh, I am also going to check out Clothes Mentor and Poshmark for deals!
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I bought a woman's maternity wardrobe off of craigslist for $70. It had tons of stuff in it.  Some was not my style so I consigned it for $45. She had a completely different body than me but we both wore medium maternity stuff and it's worked brilliantly! I'll consign/gift the rest after this baby is born and probably make money off the whole thing!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    I am going to second going to Target. All of my regular clothes still fit but some of my shirts have gotten a little bit tight so I got some of their extra long tank tops to wear under things and I love them. They are so snug fitting but not too tight and I can stretch them out to see that they'll be fine as the belly gets bigger. I've heard Old Navy is good for maternity wear and so is the Liz Lange line at Target. Obviously Motherhood Maternity is a good choice too if you have one near by. I got a pair of H&M maternity jeans that are so comfy as well. They were reasonably priced and I actually bought mine in a size 14 like I usually wear. They don't even look like maternity jeans because they're distressed skinnies with rolled cuffs. So cute!
  • Options
    I would suggest buying a few full panel pants/capris/whatever.  The short panel or side panel my feel good now, but as you get bigger you will do so much hiking of your pants if it's not the full panel.  That was my experience.  Your hips will likely spread and your width will grow so if anything feels snug now around your hips or butt, I'd size up.  I had a few pair of pants I bought at 16 weeks last time that I couldn't wear by 26 weeks since my hips had spread.  Old Navy is one of my favorites for maternity because they always have good sales.  I just bought a pair of shorts for $12.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    kbdukekbduke member
    I have found 4 pairs of maternity pants (2 jeans, 2 dress pants) at kids consignment stores. They usually have a maternity section. The ones I bought look brand new and were only $10 a pair.
  • Options
    I just did my first round of maternity shopping. I'm sure motherhood maternity would've been the place to go, but I'm on a budget! lol. I went to two Old Navys, two Ross's, and Target. Target actually had nothing; I mean, they had some things...but not much. From Old Navy I ended up getting three maternity tanks ( in a size bigger than my usual, because I'm having twins and figured I'd need the room), and three shirts for $54 with their 40% off sale. From Ross I ended up with four shirts (all between $6-$8) and two pairs of maternity shorts for $50. Seeing as my jeans still fit comfortably for now, I figured it was a good start =)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Old navy has good stuff I think. They just had a 40% off sale so I got a couple of things. They do those fairly often so keep an eye out. Last pregnancy I was working so I feel like my needs this time are a little different. Hopefully most stuff will work, I may just be extra fancy on laundry days....
  • Options
    Are there any Plus-Size STMs that have advice about the best places to buy (and preferably try on) plus-sized maternity clothes? I buy most of my nicer clothes from Torrid and Lane Bryant and they don't make maternity wear, but I'm terrified of driving to Old Navy only to find out they don't stock my size in maternity wear.
    EQD born 12/15!

• Options
    I still fit into the majority of my clothes, but have moved to maternity leggings from Gap. Super comfy. The skinny  maternity jeans from H and M sound like something I need to go get. I bought a lot of my clothes in just a size bigger than what I would normally wear and got use out of that until after 20 weeks, and frankly was wearing a lot of regular clothes at 40 weeks. I bought ridiculously cheap camis from Forever 21 and they were like 1.87. Bought 2 sizes up because that store is cut small, and they worked brilliantly under a zip up hoodie for nursing too. And sleeping. Currently I am wearing a lot of Lularoe skirts and dresses because of the comfy waist bands. The azure and cassie specifically. Bras are a different story and one I don't want to get into because it makes me cranky. 
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jenlynne0624 I found the ones I have online! They are so comfy and stretchy. The website doesn't show them rolled up but I found the legs to be sooo long and I am 4'11", so I had to roll them. Rolling them was easy and I definitely think it makes them look cuter.

https://www.hm.com/us/product/83541?article=83541-K 
  • Options
    @jenlynne0624 I found the ones I have online! They are so comfy and stretchy. The website doesn't show them rolled up but I found the legs to be sooo long and I am 4'11", so I had to roll them. Rolling them was easy and I definitely think it makes them look cuter.

Page not found, mama. I have one in the mall I go to, so I'll check it out next time. I am almost 5'7 though so I'm not sure how long they'd be on me. I find sizing at h and m to be ridiculous. I have a pair of pants that are a size 10, and a skirt that's like a size 4 and they all fit.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Are there any Plus-Size STMs that have advice about the best places to buy (and preferably try on) plus-sized maternity clothes? I buy most of my nicer clothes from Torrid and Lane Bryant and they don't make maternity wear, but I'm terrified of driving to Old Navy only to find out they don't stock my size in maternity wear.
    Target! I wear a size 20 in jeans, and went to their maternity section and got XXL stretchy skinny jeans with holes and they fit perfectly! My belly isn't that big, the stretchy fabric that goes over your stomach is so comfy, so there's room to grow still. So long as my hips don't too much! I might have to go back and buy more. I didn't like any of their tops, so I've been buying bigger shirts for now since they are loose around the tummy and are long. It's still early for me, so this might change! 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Married DH: 4/7/2012 
    TTC: 2/3/2016 (Me: 31yrs  DH: 35yrs)
    BFP: 4/10/2016
    EDD: 12/18/16
    Kaynen Alexander born 12/6/16 via c-section (bicornate uterus/breech)
  • Options

Page not found, mama. I have one in the mall I go to, so I'll check it out next time. I am almost 5'7 though so I'm not sure how long they'd be on me. I find sizing at h and m to be ridiculous. I have a pair of pants that are a size 10, and a skirt that's like a size 4 and they all fit.
    So weird, it worked for me earlier but you're right, that link doesn't work. You can google "hm maternity trashed boyfriend jeans." Those are the ones I was talking about. 
  • Options
    jptrumptone  Old Navy maternity only goes to size 18.  I found this website that gives some more options for larger sizes but I'm not sure how many of these stores actually stock the clothes or if you have to order online.https://www.fatgirlflow.com/100-places-to-shop-for-plus-size-clothing-part-7/  

I was wondering if anyone has used the maternity panels and expanders for pants they already own and if so how they felt about them?  Any brand that is particularly good?  I was looking at some online but the reviews were not very good.  
  • Options
    emisiemisi member
    I got my maternity wardrobe off Craigslist last time, and now I need to figure out where MH stashed it, haha.  Maybe the attic?  But anyway, Craigslist is awesome to get a ton of clothes super cheap.
    Dec 2016 BMB August Siggy Challenge: Awkward Back to School Photos

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    jptrumptonejptrumptone member
    edited May 2016
    @Karabearrr: thanks for the tip! Maybe I'll go to Target this week and look at some stuff.

@KatieJo1205: I saw that Old Navy on had up to 18 on their website, but I was generally in a 16/18 before getting pregnant so maybe I'll try it out. Also that link is awesome! Thanks!
    EQD born 12/15!

• Options
    STM Plus size lady here.   My suggestions:

If you are a working mama and plan on more than one kid, go to Motherhood/destination maternity, and spend a little more on the work pants.  I have defintely gotten my money's worth from mine.  The same can be said for their jeans.  

For other things -- DO not spend the extra at motherhood.  There are lots of other options. Old Navy is great for basics -- tees, tanks, basic dresses.  Many of these things can be completely dressed up with cardigans, sweaters, scarfs.  etc that you Already own and can still wear.  Also, as I find with much of Old Navy's clothes things run large.  I am a 18/20 bottom, and usually a XL top.  This is still true for all the maternity clothes.  

And Motherhood carries most of their stuff in 1x, 2x or 3x. 

ALSO -- Look at outlet malls near you. Many of them have motherhood outlets.  I hit that first, filled in what i could for my wardrobe, then.. went to the regular store.  

Lastly -- look in some unexpected places.  I found 3 pairs of shorts last time at my Sears and spent only $30 on them.  Ask every store if there is a maternity section and hit the clearance.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    So far I've had major luck at target, H&m online, and asos. I literally  bought 3 pairs of Liz Lange maternity leggings from target. They are SOOO comfortable and don't show through when you bend over. I'm also investing in flowy maxi dresses. I told myself I'm spending no more than $150 on new clothes- primarily staples. 
    Me: 29
    DH: 30
    Happily Ever After: 05-15-2015
    TTC since June 2015 
    BFP 3/21! - E.D.D. 11/28/16!

Pregnancy Ticker
    September Football Siggy

• Options
    dmontgodmontgo member
    Our Old Navy doesn't have a maternity section in store, but I got a very comfy black maxi dress a few days ago. Not maternity, but plenty of room to get round. Plus, it's multi-purpose in that it makes my boobs look so fabulous that DH will get me whatever I'm craving in 10 seconds flat. ;)
  • Options
    jennbaylor12jennbaylor12 member
    edited May 2016
    dmontgo said:
    Our Old Navy doesn't have a maternity section in store, but I got a very comfy black maxi dress a few days ago. Not maternity, but plenty of room to get round. Plus, it's multi-purpose in that it makes my boobs look so fabulous that DH will get me whatever I'm craving in 10 seconds flat. ;)
    Let's see it! I could use a dress like that :wink: 

Edited bc the bump ate half my post
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    dmontgodmontgo member
    @jennbaylor12 I'll be sure to take a picture next time I wear it! I need all the help I can get these days, so amazing boobs don't hurt! ;)
  • Options
    Haha I needed this thread.  I told DH I had to unbutton my pants at work yesterday after lunch.  I work in an office alone and I closed the door.  I was also wearing a long shirt, so I thought it was NBD.  DH, upon hearing this, was like, "Do we need to go shopping?"  Not sure why the "we" is in there but it was kind of funny.
  • Options
    Pinkblushmaternity.com has gorgeous plus size items for quite inexpensive. They're having a flash sale for 40% off today... Most online stores do free returns if items don't fit. I imagine they would too...
  • Options

So far I've had major luck at target, H&m online, and asos. I literally  bought 3 pairs of Liz Lange maternity leggings from target. They are SOOO comfortable and don't show through when you bend over. I'm also investing in flowy maxi dresses. I told myself I'm spending no more than $150 on new clothes- primarily staples.

(Stuck in quote box...) I'm a BIG Asos.com fan!! Just received my first order today, all items on super clearance and they are all gorgeous and great quality.

i got maternity leggings with zippered ankles, a gorgeous Bardot style dress for a wedding, a tunic and a tank for $70.00 (over $100.00 in savings!)
  • Options
    FTM, but just throwing this out there: I'd been lusting after the Storq maternity bundle since last summer. The day after my BFP, when I was finally convinced that it was real, I bought it. A bit pricy, but if you like luxe stuff and the idea of capsule wardrobes, it could be for you. It comes with a pair of black leggings (with a fold-down panel), a black dress, a black skirt, and a white tank. I already wear the leggings everywhere...soooooo comfy!
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Options
    dmontgodmontgo member
    Ok, here's a question: swimwear.

I normally never wear bikinis because most of the time my stomach reminds me of hamburger helper, BUT I'm kind of considering it with the quasi bump I'm forming. Is a one-piece even comfortable while pregnant? Seems like too much work. Any suggestions for cute suits? It's kind of giving me anxiety being in this bloat stage, but I have a swimming party on Monday and I want to be cute. >:/
  • Options
    Maxi dresses are amazing and so easy. Also, full panel leggings. I wore mine wayyyy after I had DD because I loved them so much! 

• Options
    I second the swimwear question. To be honest I've been self conscious about my belly before now and I am looking forward to a belly looking cute in a bikini....but I'm curious as to if I'm totally wrong in thinking it would be nice. 
  • Options
    dmontgo said:
    Ok, here's a question: swimwear.

I normally never wear bikinis because most of the time my stomach reminds me of hamburger helper, BUT I'm kind of considering it with the quasi bump I'm forming. Is a one-piece even comfortable while pregnant? Seems like too much work. Any suggestions for cute suits? It's kind of giving me anxiety being in this bloat stage, but I have a swimming party on Monday and I want to be cute. >:/

With my first  (born in November) I bought a Maternity tankini I have worn it even the following years. I actually just bought a new swim suit this year since I wasn't planning on being pregnant in the summer again. But it looks like that will be coming out again this year.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    beff12beff12 member
    Maxi dresses are amazing and so easy. Also, full panel leggings. I wore mine wayyyy after I had DD because I loved them so much! 

I bought a cheap pair of maternity yoga capris (from Kohl's I think) when I was pregnant with DD. I never stopped wearing them - they're in my lazy pants rotation. I just fold the panel down now. So great! 

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• Options
    I wore a one-peice while pregnant the first time and went to the pool almost every day. I really like feel like my belly is supported, but I know not everyone does! I found it comfortable and not annoying at all. Just do whatever you want!

As far as other maternity clothes, I got almost everything from Old Navy! 
  • Options
    @dmontgo - I wore 2 pieces that I already had last pregnancy. I have a TYR 2 piece that I used for lap swimming and otherwise I just wore bikinis. Less work than a 1 piece and I didn't like the feel of pressure from tight fabric across my stomach
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    Swimsuits... I doubt I'll even be anywhere this summer where one will be needed. We may get invited to a family friends lake place again, but we stuck to tanks and shorts and just chatted the whole time while watching the kids play in the lake. That would be it, as I don't sit outside to tan anymore (and our neighbors are out ALL the time, so I just avoid being outside period).
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• Options
    dmontgodmontgo member
    @slartybartfast This is going to sound like a vain question, but do you think I would be cute in a two piece at 11 weeks? Or just look puffy? Haha
  • Options
    FitTrisFitTris member
    H&M is one of my favorite places for maternity! As for Bathing suits, I got a few maternity tankinis from my last pregnancy, but since he was a fall baby, I was larger.  I'm anticipating a tinier bump than that this summer and will probably just rock my bikinis and possibly the tankinis.  I got my favorite one from ASOS.  

I am stocking up on maxi skirts and dresses and flowy/stretchy shorter skirts and long tanks.  Summer will be easy and i'm not going full on maternity (I got some flowy, loose dresses from H&M...non maternity...for cheap).  I am going to need a couple pairs of pants come fall.  If I stick with my tanks, I'll just throw over my cardigans.  
  • Options
    R0824HR0824H member
    I got a ton of clothes from a coworker for 50$ but I just realized they are almost all pants or jeans...shorts will be on my to buy list
    TT#1 July 2015
    BFP#1 & MC:August 2015 
    BFP: #2 10/01/2015 MC: 10/09/2015   BFP #3: 12/22/2015 @ 5 weeks  MC/CP: 12-23-2015
    Fertility Appointment: Feb 23/16, Hysteroscopy 03/02/2016,
    BFP #4: 03/31/16 EDD 12/01/2016 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Here's my two cents after two pregnancies: 

Experiment with different fits and styles, especially in pants/shorts.  I can't freaking stand full panels and love love love under belly panels, right up to the end.  Full panels are itchy and uncomfortable to me and I always end up folding them down.  I'm also a huge fan of Bella Bands to extend the life of my regular pants.

Tops:  As some previous posters mentioned, extra long non-maternity tanks are great for layering.  H&M has fabulous racer-back ones that I can wear in my regular size all the way through.  I prefer loose/flowy tops or fitted tops as opposed to empire waist ones with a tie or elastic.  I tend to carry high though, so it's just uncomfortable to me, where it might be completely different for you.

For the summer, maxi dresses (non-maternity) are the best.  Bonus: you can wear them again next year :)

Some of my favorite places to shop are Gap, Motherhood (Pea in the Pod), Asos and Pink Blush Maternity. I've definitely learned a lot about maternity clothes in the past 4 years and have definitely wasted some money learning what does and does not work for me.  To me, it's fun though.  I love fashion, and refuse to look less than my best just because I'm pregnant!

@dmontgo, I wear two piece swimsuits.  I have a long torso though, so one pieces never fit me well to start with, let alone pregnant.  It's actually the only time I feel 100% comfortable letting it all hang out.  Lol.  I definitely look a little puffy right now but by the time summer rolls around I'm sure the belly will look like an actual bump.

@KatieJo1205, I love my Bella Bands (from Target).  I'm still wearing them at 12w4d over my regular pants, using the hairband trick to keep my pants semi-closed.  I'll probably get a couple more weeks use out of them and then I'll wear them again after baby to get back into my regular pants sooner.

Me: 35 | Him: 35
    G born 10/25/12 | H born 3/25/14
    TTC#3 since 7/2015
    Early loss 12/2015 most likely due to low progesterone
    Began medicated cycles (Femara/Ovidrel/Endometrin) with TI 1/2016
    BFP 3/22, EDD 12/4/16 ~ It's a GIRL!

• Options
    JEM525JEM525 member
    My recommendation is buy maternity tops you can wear while pregnant and while nursing ( if you plan to nurse). My basic maternity wardrobe if you are on a budget is nursing tank tops, yoga pants, leggings, two pairs of jeans, two pairs of cute pants, two or three pairs of shorts, one pair of capris, a couple t shirts, and a couple cute tops, two basic dresses you can dress up or down with excessories. Least expensive places to buy maternity clothes, old navy, Zulily, and Ross. Have fun shopping!