December 2016 Moms
Options

GTKY: Speaking of names.......Do you Love or Hate your name?

Since we're on the topic of names, do you love or hate your name? Did you ever wish you had a different name, and if you could name yourself what would it be?

Met DH - 9/2003
Dating - 9/18/2012
Married - 8/16/2014
NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
*PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

Re: GTKY: Speaking of names.......Do you Love or Hate your name?

• Options
    cgss11cgss11 member
    I never minded my name, Carrie. There was only one other in my grade, so not too popular. I did wish it was spelled with a K when I was a kid, but I don't remember the reasoning. 

DH..always a suck up lol..has always said he thinks it's the prettiest name, so there's that.
  • Options
    I've always liked my name, Jessica.  I go by Jess and I was born a bit before it became too popular so I was usually the only one in my class.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a Jenny and was born right smack where it was ridiculously popular (1985), so there would be like 4 of us in the same class. I hated it for awhile, but it suits me and I am not sure what I would change it to.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've always hated my name. It's Amanda and the year I was born it was like, the 4th most popular name. My brother also made fun of me when I was little saying, "You're a man, duh." So rude. lol
  • Options
    I like my name, first and middle. I'm a Jennifer born in the hight of it's popularity - there were 8 Jennifer's in my kindergarten class!! Lol. I was Jenny as a elementary kid but go by Jennifer or Jenn now
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    phoenix870509phoenix870509 member
    edited May 2016
    I've always hated my name. It's Amanda and the year I was born it was like, the 4th most popular name. My brother also made fun of me when I was little saying, "You're a man, duh." So rude. lol
    I'm also an Amanda, so I feel ya. In high school there were 3 girls named Amanda in my class, one was Amanda, one was Mandy, so I went by Ellie (shortening of my middle name). I hated my name growing up, and my middle name, too. It was supposed to be Elizabeth, but my mom felt that going with our last name it would be too long. I went through phases of what I would want my name to be. I think for the longest time it was Christina, haha. But I've grown to like my name now. And hardly anyone calls me Amanda anyways. It's usually Mandy or Manda.

ETA - one boy in my elementary school used to call me A-man-dumb (we're friends today, we laugh about it now). And yes, A-man-duh has also been said.
    Married 4/12/13
    Anniversary
    TTC since 6/13
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS 4/9/15 - R/E recommended lifestyle change
    BFP 4/10/16 - DS born 12/16/2016
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    SURPRISE! BFP 3/8/18
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I like my name! I'm a Samantha so there have never been many of us around at the same time. There is a Samantha in the class next door to mine, so that's pretty neat! I used to hate when I would be called Sam when I was little, but now I get called Sam, Sammy, Spam, and various other nick names :) I did drop my middle name when I got married to keep my Italian maiden name as my middle name...I love it because not many people can say it ;)
  • Options
    And I wasn't too excited about my middle name in the first place.
  • Options
    juliehollz13juliehollz13 member
    edited May 2016
    Hate my name. My mom named me Yulia, and that would have been such a great transition to Julia here in the states, and I really loved that name BUT of course NO ONE ever called me Yulia or Julia! My grandparents gave me a nickname which got Americanized into "Holly" and I.HATE.IT. But i've had it for 13 years now and it's legally changed so there's no going back. When my mother was pregnant with me she almost named me Monica, and I used to wish so hard that she would have called me that. But oh well lol.

Funny thing - when I was little I wanted to have 3 daughters and name them Faith, Hope, and Love (Vera, Nadejda (Nadia), Lyubov) lol of course that's not going to happen. But I still like the name Vera. 
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• Options
    jptrumptonejptrumptone member
    edited May 2016
    I've always found my name to be adequate, but no one spells it right. I'm Jodie, but I often get Jody and (IMHO, even worse) Jodi.  People misspelling my name used to be my biggest pet peeve, but after 35 years, I've gotten used to it.

I've never been in a class or anything with another Jodie/Jody/Jodi, but oddly enough, my husband has 2 cousins named Jodi. One of them got pregnant a couple of years ago and I got a call from DH's step-mom congratulating me! Since we were actively preventing pregnancy at the time, it was pretty hilarious. 

(eta: English is hard)
    EQD born 12/15!

• Options
    My name is Ashley, and when I was in school there were like 2 other Ashleys but I never had classes with them so it didn't bother me. However, FI has like 4 or 5 Ashleys in his family I think? So I guess I'm starting to see more of how popular it used to be. I always loved my name because my dad was the one who picked it out. As soon as my mom got pregnant my dad told her, "If it's a girl, her name is Ashley." So I always loved that he cared that much about me and what my name would be before I was even born. :)
  • Options
    I honestly feel pretty neutral about my name. I mean, I didn't get to pick it and have been called it all my life so I guess I never really thought about liking or hating it. Is that weird? I'm Melissa. Ive never been in a class with another Melissa although I met a couple other girls named that in college who went my Missy and Mel. I've personally never gone by a nickname. My parents always called me and my brother David by our full names and it stuck. I also call both my kids by their full names, no nicknames for them either. (Elliana and Lincoln) My dad picked my first name mainly because he just liked it. :) And my mn (Emily) is a family mn which I have enjoyed having and we passed the mn on to DD as well. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Pgh_KelPgh_Kel member
    I was one of 4 or 5 Kelly's in my class at any given time, so I wasn't always a big fan of it growing up.  And I was always bummed that it was spelled the "traditional" way, I thought it would've been cooler to be "Kelli" or "Kellee".....so silly.  As I've gotten older I like my name more, and I love that my closest friends/family call me "Kel".  I'm a big fan of shortened names or nicknames, that is definitely a factor for choosing a name for the baby!

Me: 39 DH: 36
    Married: Sept 2018
    DS: December 2016
    #2 EDD Feb 2020

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Pgh_Kel said:
    I was one of 4 or 5 Kelly's in my class at any given time, so I wasn't always a big fan of it growing up.  And I was always bummed that it was spelled the "traditional" way, I thought it would've been cooler to be "Kelli" or "Kellee".....so silly.  As I've gotten older I like my name more, and I love that my closest friends/family call me "Kel".  I'm a big fan of shortened names or nicknames, that is definitely a factor for choosing a name for the baby!
    Funny story. I have a friend go goes by Kel who also lives in Pittsburg. When I first saw your screen name on the board I had to stalk your profile photo bc I was all "Is Kel pregnant with her 3rd baby and didn't tell me?!?" haha But alas, you are not the Kel I know IRL. ;)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Pgh_KelPgh_Kel member
    PharmDMom said:
    Pgh_Kel said:
    Funny story. I have a friend go goes by Kel who also lives in Pittsburg. When I first saw your screen name on the board I had to stalk your profile photo bc I was all "Is Kel pregnant with her 3rd baby and didn't tell me?!?" haha But alas, you are not the Kel I know IRL. ;)
    I love the stalking of the profile photo!  Sorry to disappoint, that would've been a great story for you and your friend, randomly "bumping" into one another on these boards! 

Oh well, now you know another Kel in Pittsburgh!!  Nice to meet you!

Me: 39 DH: 36
    Married: Sept 2018
    DS: December 2016
    #2 EDD Feb 2020

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    ehoreniehoreni member
    I'm an Erin and I've always liked my name fine, except that I always wanted a name with a nickname. So when I was a little girl, i pretended my name was Miranda and told people to call me Randi.
  • Options
    I'm a Jessica, and it was the most popular name when I was born so there were a lot of us in my class.  I got to where I just assumed they weren't talking to me when I heard someone yell my name down the hall. I'm pretty neutral about my name.  I don't hate it at all, but I wish it wasn't the most popular name for my age.
  • Options
    I'm a Sarah, there were always many of us, but that was actually comforting! Plus it made people have to think of a way to differentiate me from the other Sarahs which made me feel normal and special at the same time :) the only bummer was no possibility of a nickname. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    BFP Mar 26, 2016 - DD born Nov 2016 <3
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• Options
    beff12beff12 member
    My name is Elizabeth but I've always been called Beth. My class had a couple other girls named Elizabeth and some that went by Liz but there was never another Beth. I like my name! People always mispronounced my maiden name and my married name is much easier, so that's nice that it doesn't get messed up anymore. 

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• Options
    I'm a Sarah, there were always many of us, but that was actually comforting! Plus it made people have to think of a way to differentiate me from the other Sarahs which made me feel normal and special at the same time :) the only bummer was no possibility of a nickname. 
    Our pick for a girl is Sarah, and I plan on calling her Susa as a nickname, which is what her Hebrew name will be in honor of my grandma.
    Married 4/12/13
    Anniversary
    TTC since 6/13
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS 4/9/15 - R/E recommended lifestyle change
    BFP 4/10/16 - DS born 12/16/2016
    SURPRISE! BFP 3/8/18
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    kbdukekbduke member
    I've always hated my name. It's Krystal. No one could ever spell it and in school I was forever known as Krystal with a K. Pair that with a last name that no one could pronounce or spell and basically my name was a disaster  growing up. Also it has no meaning. My mom picked out my name simply because she liked names that started with a K. This has definitely made DH and I look at baby names that have some personal or familial meaning.
  • Options
    I'm an Allison, and I've always liked my name, but I love my nickname, Alli. I know some people are really anti-nickname, but I've always loved having a name that you can shorten  Whenever someone talks to me, I can immediately tell how well they know me just by what name they use. Strangers call me "Allison," friends call me "Alli," and family members call me "Al." 
  • Options
    Honestly I love my name.  My name is Marie Ann (no middle name) and I'm named after my mom (Marie) and grandma (Ann). But no one calls me Marie Ann because my nickname from birth has been Mimi....my grandma called my mom "Mi" and so they started called me Mimi. I've known no one my age with the name Marie Ann or even Marie and definitely no one named Mimi. I've always loved having a unique name because I felt kind of special lol. My stepdad even suggested that I legally change my name to Mimi but I like having a piece of my mom and grandma with me. 
  • Options
    AmecseyAmecsey member
    I love my name. It's Alanna. I was always the only Alanna in my schools, and I appreciate that now that I'm older. And yes @mimi603107it made me feel special too!

i am expecting twins so now I have to pick out two names, as if one weren't hard enough, and oddly enough I am attracted to very traditional names, think Henry, Charles, Florence, Alice... So not sure what that says about unique names... Although Some traditional names may be somewhat uncommon now...
  • Options
    R0824HR0824H member
    I like my name, it wasn't common (in our area at least) and it flowed pretty well with my maiden name. :) my name is Rachel, also I loved that it was used/mentioned in my all time favourite Disney movie The Little Mermaid! Lol
    TT#1 July 2015
    BFP#1 & MC:August 2015 
    BFP: #2 10/01/2015 MC: 10/09/2015   BFP #3: 12/22/2015 @ 5 weeks  MC/CP: 12-23-2015
    Fertility Appointment: Feb 23/16, Hysteroscopy 03/02/2016,
    BFP #4: 03/31/16 EDD 12/01/2016 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Whitney hasn't ever been super popular. I never really loved the name but I like the story... I was named after Barbie's friend Whitney, who came out the year I was born. 
  • Options
    l9il9i member
    I used to not like my name, Lisa, because it was an "old" name.  I grew to appreciate it though because not many people my age have the same name, there was only one other in my whole school.  I do hate my middle name though.
    Me: 26 & DH: 25
    Married: August 2014
    TTC since November 2015
    BFP #1 12/17/15 - MC 1/28/16
    BFP #2 4/22/16 - EDD 12/30/16
  • Options
    I always liked that while there were a couple other Katies in my classes, I was the only one whose given name was Katie and not Katherine.  Between that and my middle name being Jo I felt like my name was different enough to stand out a bit.
  • Options
    karmbakarmba member
    I'm a Kara and I've always liked it.  It's uncommon enough that I only knew two girls with the same name growing up but also a recognizable name.

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with my name.  Jennah. People ALWAYS spell it wrong or ask me why I have an h.....
  • Options
    I wish my name was more feminine. I've always known more males and dogs named Casey than other girls

Me:27   H:30
    Till death do us part: 7.2.2011
    Trying to conceive since 01.2014
    Low AFC and azoospermia
    IVF #1 03.2016 - BFP 03.28.2016
    Due: 12.05.2016

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I'm Katherine Agnes after my great grandmother and my great aunt. My mom wanted to give me a strong, independent name so I would grow up to be confident. It backfired a bit because I am super independent...almost to a fault!  

I've always gone by Kate and liked it, but Agnes took some getting used to. My dad has always called me Aggie.

My grandmothers had great names and I plan on using them in some way. Elinor Ann and Emma Naomi. Could be tough if these twins are both girls!
  • Options
    I used to hate my name growing up (Jacquelyn) because no one could ever spell it correctly.  Even now, people still want to spell it with -line at the end because that's the most common variation.  And don't get me started on the nickname... my mom loved the spelling Jacque instead of Jackie (one of her brothers had a friend named Jacque growing up, and she loved the name so much that she wanted to give it to a daughter.  I was the firstborn and a girl, so there you go!)  I've gotten used to pretty much EVERYONE misspelling my name by now.  Usually I go by Jacque, Jac (mostly by family), or sometimes my DH will just call me J!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I hated my name growing up. I am a Courtney. I hate the way most people pronounce it, it's not melodic. Except my husband. He says it in a way that makes me feel beautiful. And It always gets shortened to Court. I don't mind the nn, but I wish I had a more feminine name. We moved a lot and new schools people always expected a boy. 
    Plus all the other Courtney's I've ever encountered have been complete bitches.
  • Options
    I was pretty ambivalent about my name, Hilary, growing up, but now I really, really like it.  It's relatively uncommon where I live, and I've only run into one or two that spell it the same way with one 'L' (my mom, a school teacher, though two 'L's' would be more difficult in cursive).  

My only pet peeves are that it doesn't really lend itself all that well to nicknames and, politics aside, the Hillary Clinton references/jokes I have had to listen to over the years.  

My name and my twin's name, which was really popular the year we were born (so glad that she got that one) influenced how I went about choosing our DSs' names...I wanted names that were somewhat uncommon and that were either strong enough to stand alone (DS1) or that would lend itself easily to nicknames (DS2).

DH: 36⎹ Me: 36
    Married: Aug. 2005
    DS1: Born Oct. 2012
    DS2: Born Jun. 2014
  • Options
    My name is Candi.  So it's rare that I come across someone with my name and I like it.  My mom chose it to rhyme with my twin's name, Brandi.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I like my name, Justine. It's not a super popular name, it's kinda different and unique. Just like I like to think of myself...lol Only downside is I get "Justin" a lot :disappointed: 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm another Jessica! There was plenty of us in school with the same name, for the most part teachers called us by different nicknames and that helped. I like the fact that my first name is easy to pronounce by just about everyone (who doesn't know the name Jessica now a days?) But I agree with a PP that it would have been nice to have something slightly more unique. Although I have a super unique last name so I guess that makes up for that in a way :) 
  • Options
    Welp I'm pretty sure you can guess my name. 
    I like it! I knew a couple of other Christinas growing up, but it wasn't an overwhelmingly common name. I went through a phase where I went by Tina, but I hate Tina.. There are still a handful of friends who call me that and I just let it be, but I prefer my full name. 
    My middle name (Ruth) is after my grandmother. I wasn't a fan when I was younger because it seemed like such an old name, but now I love it and will likely incorporate it in the next baby's name (if it's a girl). 
  • Options
    Kacie209Kacie209 member
    edited May 2016
    I'm Kacie, and I had a love/hate relationship with my name growing up.

1) I could never find a keychain/magnet with my exact spelling. It was always Casey.
    2) I didn't have any Casey's in my elementary school, but once junior high hit... the boys were everywhere. I know we had a dozen Jessica/Sarah's, but sharing a name with a boy in class really made me feel uncomfortable. Like, would people associate me with being a boy and not a girl?
    3) No, my name is not short for anything!

However, as I have gotten older... I like my name. It's unique and was unique to spell it that way in the 80's. I have met/known 3-4 other girls around my age who spell their name the same as mine, but I still consider it unique in its own way. My mom just didn't want my name to be like most of the popular ones in 1981.

BTW... my mom wanted to name me Kayla (she was a big Days of Our Lives fan then), but my dad didn't like it. So, 3 years later... they named my sister that.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**