December 2016 Moms
Options

Strange naming question

So we just found out we're having a boy :)  We of course had a girl name all picked out!
We both love the name Finn for a boy and it has been at the top of our list forever.  Here's the part about the strange question...
My Dad and his wife got two dogs last year and named one of them Finn :(  I did mention at the time that it was our top boy name for when we get pregnant.  My Dad's wife never had kids and treats her dogs like children.  They live about six hours away and we only see them about twice a year.  You can see where this is going :)

Would it be super weird to name our son Finn?! 

Re: Strange naming question

• Options
    Yes and no. Yes because YOU would think about it and so may your parents, but really at the end of the day a dog is a dog. No one else will be thinking of your step mother's dog when they think of Finn. 
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• Options
    Meh I don't think it's that weird! Would it just be Finn or would Finn be the NN? I think it's a great name either way!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I prefer Finn just on it's own, but might consider Finley for the sake of making it a bit different.
  • Options
    My Aunt had a dog (scottish terrier) named Asher.  Guess what our DS2's name is.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DH: 36⎹ Me: 36
    Married: Aug. 2005
    DS1: Born Oct. 2012
    DS2: Born Jun. 2014
  • Options
    My Aunt had a dog (scottish terrier) named Asher.  Guess what our DS2's name is.
    Ha, awesome!  Thanks everyone, I'm feeling less weird about it already :)
  • Options
    Yea I mean I think if you really love the name, in the long run, the dog thing is going to be inconsequential. It'll seem strange at first but I think that'll wear away quickly
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    I would only let it deter you if it bothers YOU. I would make sure you're 100% okay with it though. Name regret is real and it is awful. Apart from your dad and stepmom it's likely that it won't occur to anyone else. 
  • Options
    My extended family joked that we named our DS after my cousin's cat. That lasted maybe a month or so and nobody mentions it anymore.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah I think it's totally fine to use.
  • Options
    @dmontgo I love that name!  Nice to "meet" you ;)  I've seen plenty of dogs named Jessie too (though no one other than my Dad calls me that).
  • Options
    dmontgo said:
    I'm a Daisy, and there have been a many a cow or dog named Daisy. But it doesn't bother me or take away from the fact that my name is the bomb diggity. >:D
    DD was soooo close to being Daisy! I made up a little song about Daisy and would sing it to her while I was pregnant. When she was born she didn't look like a Daisy though. :(

I guess what I'm saying is.... I'm obsessed with your name lol
  • Options
    @dmontgo Daisy is one of our top girl names! I love it! :)

And I agree with everybody else, if you love the name, go for it!
  • Options
    aevan011aevan011 member
    edited May 2016
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you love the name, go for it. 

There a wayyyyyyyyy more humans that have ruined names for me than dogs. 

ETA: @dmontgo well I guess we're all just obsessed with your name now.

My gram used to sing me "Daisy Bell" and I love that name. :) 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    dmontgodmontgo member
    You ladies are making me blush. ;)

My family's friends would sing "Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer true..." No idea what the song's name is though haha.

I do think it fits my looks, though. Red hair, hazel eyes, and pale skin. :) 
  • Options
    JEM525JEM525 member
    I had a similar dilemma, I say go for it. This may come off as insensitive but your son will be around a whole lot longer than that dog. 
  • Options
    FI and I are in a similar place! We have a cat named Liam and we both adore that name if we ever have a son. We like Rhett the most so that is what we are going for this time around if it's a boy but I'm sure if we ever got pregnant again we would consider naming our son Liam, maybe for a middle name.
  • Options
    JEM525 said:
    I had a similar dilemma, I say go for it. This may come off as insensitive but your son will be around a whole lot longer than that dog. 
    @JEM525 You said exactly what I was thinking but didn't want to say......LMAO!! 
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• Options
    If it doesn't bother you, then I honestly wouldn't worry about it. There are so many people and animals that share names that if you based the naming of your child off that, it'd take you forever to name him lol. 
    And fyi, my youngest is named Finn (Finnley) and it's an awesome name! Lol ;)
  • Options
    I really like that name. That being said, I had a dog named Finn so I would associate it with the dog. People who are closer to the your son than the dog won't, and those are the people who matter most in his life anyway.  
  • Options
    I know a dog named Henry, and most recently my foolish cousin called his dog Steve. Some people like to give their dogs human names!
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    BFP Mar 26, 2016 - DD born Nov 2016 <3
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• Options
    R0824HR0824H member
    I would go ahead and do it! If it doesn't bother you it then why not?
    TT#1 July 2015
    BFP#1 & MC:August 2015 
    BFP: #2 10/01/2015 MC: 10/09/2015   BFP #3: 12/22/2015 @ 5 weeks  MC/CP: 12-23-2015
    Fertility Appointment: Feb 23/16, Hysteroscopy 03/02/2016,
    BFP #4: 03/31/16 EDD 12/01/2016 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I just called my Dad to tell him that he's going to have another grandson, and I mentioned the Finn issue; he just laughed and said their Finn would be honoured.  Now to see if the name lasts the test of time!
  • Options
    @dmontgo  & @phoenix870509
    Daisy Bell (Bicycle Built for Two) - Exactly the song I was referring to! That's the one my gram sang too!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    FitTrisFitTris member
    My oldest is Finn (Finnian) I HEART IT.  You should go with a name you love and not hesitate because like everyone else said, a dog is a dog and this is your SON.  
    @juliehollz13