December 2016 Moms
Options

Gender Blood Test!

alyxxmgbalyxxmgb member
edited May 2016 in December 2016 Moms
Hey everyone! New to the Bump and 8wks 3dys! So so happy to have a group I can come to for questions and concerns! 
Ok, so my first sono is this coming Wednesday, May 25th, and they have scheduled me for the gender blood test on June 9, at about 11 weeks. We were so SO excited to be finding out the gender of our baby so soon, but now that we've told our family, I've heard that sometimes the gender blood test isn't always accurate. How accurate was it for you?? We would love to do a gender reveal some time soon, but if it's not close to 100% accurate then should we wait? Thanks in advance❤️ 

Re: Gender Blood Test!

• Options
    I have nevery don't the blood test for genetic issues or to determine the sex of the baby. However I have had friends that have done it and I would say for the sex it is really accurate. I believe it works that if there is a Y chromosome in your blood then your having a boy, since there would be no other reason for you to have a Y chromosome. I could be totally wrong though :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    k98aj01k98aj01 member
    I've had the blood test with number 1(boy) and awaiting the results for number 2. Everyone I know who has had it done has been correct. That's probably only around 20 people, so not a large pool, but still none were wrong. Like any test, it isn't perfect so I am sure there is a very small percentage where the gender isn't correct. The concern I have found with this test, even though I've never actually met someone who has had this problem, is that it can give a false positive for genetic abnormalities. But, there are other tests they can run if it comes up positive in order to check for abnormalities more closely. I'm glad there is a blood test to start now, as the thought of an amniocentesis does not sound appealing!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had the blood test done for my last two pregnancies and this one also.  They have never been inaccurate.   I took the Verifi test this time and I hope to get my results back by the end of next week. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    SA0012SA0012 member
    How much are these tests? Does insurance cover them? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I can't have one (having twins) but I've never heard these tests to be inaccurate.  It's chromosomal evidence.  I'm not sure there's any margin of error.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    em01092em01092 member
    @alyxxmgb I had my blood drawn for the Harmony test on the 16th, we get the results on the 31st. The anticipation is crazy lol. 

@SA0012  it depends on your insurance and if you have any family history of certain diseases. We only have to pay about $150 out of pocket. If your insurance doesn't cover it, perhaps if you can show you or someone in your family or your partner's family is a carrier for a genetic disorder/condition, that may persuade your insurance to cover it. My understanding is the option to find out the sex is additional and almost never covered by insurance.

December 2016 August Siggy Challenge: Embarrassing Back to School Pics

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    em01092em01092 member
    @DiFazette  a friend of mine got it done (I think it was the Maternit21 test) with her twins and they were able to tell it was 2 low risk girls (no Y chromosome detected). They later confirmed on the ultrasound. 
    December 2016 August Siggy Challenge: Embarrassing Back to School Pics

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We might go this route, as DH's side has history of genetic issues (our oldest nephew has Down Syndrome). Since that one, any kid his sibling has had (we have 4 nephews now), the mom has been tested... just in case. It wouldn't change our mind about anything, but would be fun to know what we're having before the 20-week u/s!

Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• Options
    em01092 said:
    @DiFazette  a friend of mine got it done (I think it was the Maternit21 test) with her twins and they were able to tell it was 2 low risk girls (no Y chromosome detected). They later confirmed on the ultrasound. 

Stuck in the box!! @em010902... Yes.  This is the only true confirmation you can get on the tests though - 2 girls. 

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    @em01092 im glad that everything ive heard has been positive! but you have to wait for results?? What a bummer! lol I thought it'd maybe take a day or two. 
  • Options
    I was told the gender during my 12 week NT ultrasound (it's a boy!).  If you're scheduled for one of those too, perhaps you can find out then too :) 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I got a panorama test at 11 weeks and got a girl 
  • Options
    FitTrisFitTris member
    @laytbug1234 I was told that at 12 weeks last time too! He wouldn't completely confirm, but had a "very good guess".  He was right! my NT scan is in two weeks. We shall see!