TTC After a Loss

Natural Progesterone Boosters

edited May 2016 in TTC After a Loss
Hey Ladies,
   Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone had experienced anything similar to my situation or had suggestions that I might be able to use. My issue is that I ridiculously low progesterone levels and don't ovulate on my own. I started getting tested in December and my levels were <0.5, then I had two ovulatory cycles on Letrozole in Jan (24.01) and Feb (35.4). The cycle following the medicated cycles lasted 50 days but I didn't get any tests run and then this cycle (I'm currently on day 32) I had tests run at CD23 and my levels came back at 0.51. 

Ive been doing a little reseach through Dr Google and people are like my levels are so low, I only have a 3 or a 5 or whatever, heck mine aren't even a flippin 1! So I've been trying to figure out the best, unmedicated way to boost my progesterone...anyone have low progesterone, any suggestions to get it up, etc??

I did quit my job which should reduce stress, even though I feel like after 10 cycles TTC with no luck you never have low stress but worth a shot and I bought B6 supplements. Also a gym membership is on next weeks to do list.

Hoping for for an ovulatory cycle by the end of the summer! 
DH - 34, Me - 32
Married 7/13
TTC #1 since 10/13
BFP 2/4/15, MC twin boys at 18w3d 5/15
IUI #1 2/25/16

Re: Natural Progesterone Boosters

• chloe97chloe97 member
    edited May 2016
    Hi @SoonToBeMommaHowe. I am so so sorry for your losses! I guess I'm confused by your question because based on your progesterone levels, it would seem unlikely that you had ovulated at all.  I'm just looking at my own progesterone result guidelines and to be within the luteal phase (after ovulation), the standard range is 1.7-27.0. To me, your results say you hadn't ovulated yet. That doesn't mean you didn't later, but when that test was take - you had not. Did you have your ovulation monitored by an RE? Did they say you ovulated?

I wish I had more to add, but that number is extremely low for the luteal phase. If you aren't ovulating than you aren't going to have higher progesterone because ovulating causes the increase in progesterone not vice versa. It seems to me that your RE needs to be focused on that issue. 
  • I'm sorry you're dealing with this. My understanding, which could be totally wrong is that your progesterone needs to be at least a 5 to indicate that ovulation has actually occurred. So, judging from your numbers without medication it hasn't happened. It looks like your progesterone numbers when you actually ovulate are great though, so that's a good thing!

Anyways, in regards to your questions on how to boost progesterone without medication, I would say the real question would be how to trigger a strong ovulation, right? If you look on the internet there are tons of people that believe a variety of supplements have done this for them. I've read licorice root and royal jelly are two of the more popular, but I'm sure there are more kicking around. People call licorice root, "the natural clomid" and it is on a lot of PCOS websites that it helped them ovulate sooner and have stronger ovulation.

Good luck for some ovulatory cycles coming up!
  • Loading the player...
  • @chloe97 you are correct, I don't ovulate on my own, only if I have medication. I failed to mention that I got a positive OPK this cycle on day 19 but after my test results my OB said I just got a surge, no ovulation. My OB also won't refer me to an RE until we've hit the one year mark, which will be July/August.

@bornready a light bulb actually went on when you said that I really need to be focusing on ovulating vs progesterone. My OB has constantly been telling me that everything is fine aside from my progesterone so I've been trying to figure out solutions to fix that when I really should shift my focus to how the heck do I make myself ovulate? I'll make sure to look up the licorice root and next  cycle I'm gonna temp and not do OPKs bc it was a super discouraging to get the test results back after a +OPK and thinking for sure I must've ovulated.  

CD 32 and counting...I'm hoping the evil witch shows herself before CD 50. If I keep going with cycles like this I'll only end up having 8-9 cycles this year :neutral: 
    DH - 34, Me - 32
    Married 7/13
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    IUI #1 2/25/16

• chloe97chloe97 member
    Ok that makes more sense @SoonToBeMommaHowe. I cannot believe that your OB is making you wait a whole year to see an RE when you are obviously not ovulating. Do you need a referral for insurance purposes? If you will be paying out of pocket, I wouldn't wait- I'd make an appointment right away. I'm turning 37, so it's a bit different for me bc of my age, but I got a referral my first really wonky cycle after my 1st Mc. I haven't take Clomid or any injectables yet, but there are many women on these boards who will tell you that an RE should be monitoring you if you are on Clomid. 
  • @chloe97 I'm turning 32 this summer and am also feeling the time crunch a little (DH actually mentioned having 4 kids last night....ummmm we better get cranking then). We actually just bought a house an hour and a half away from my OB so it doesn't really make sense to go to her anymore anyway. Maybe I should research a local RE....my insurance benefits run out on 6/15 but I'm on DHs insurance and his doesn't cover anything related to fertility so out of pocket it is. 
    DH - 34, Me - 32
    Married 7/13
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    IUI #1 2/25/16