November 2016 Moms
Options

Amniotic Fluid or Urine Leak in 2nd Tri??

I started freaking out today because I felt some fluid and it wasn't discharge. I was thinking it was amniotic fluid until I read on some pregnancy website that the uterus can press on the bladder causing it to leak. (And I just thought the leaking happened after baby was born.) Anyone else have this going on? 

Re: Amniotic Fluid or Urine Leak in 2nd Tri??

• Options
    Does it smell like urine? 

Amniotic fluid smells a little nutty and sterile, almost like cum (sorry, but that's the only way to describe it) It won't have a smell once it's dry. 

Urine smells much stronger, especially when dry. 

It is absolutely possible for your urine to leak in the second tri, and it's also possible for your water to break. What does it smell like?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Mom to P (12/7/10) Step-Mom-to-be to H (05/29/13)
    BFP 10/13/14 TWINS! 20 week loss of both twins, Scott Feivel and Miles Conrad
    BFP 06/19/2015 16 week loss, Penny June
    2015 Working with RI; Diagnosed with thrombopheiia and celiacs
    BFP 03/12/16 TWINS AGAIN! PLEASE BE OUR RAINBOWS
  • Options
    Thanks for the description. I think that will help. The odor wasn't very strong, but I didn't think about seeing how the smell would be dried. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hope it's just pee and everything is fine, but if it happens again I would go in and have your doctor check you out. There are a few ways they can confirm leaking amniotic fluid that are pretty simple. 

Good luck! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Well, the thing is is that I am seeing a midwife and they said go to the ER if it doesn't go away (which I feel it has now). When I hear "ER", I see a big bill coming. I don't know if they could still check every thing if I went to Same Day Care at our local doctor's clinic or if I could get in to see my normal ob/gyn (if she would be willing to do that since I'm doing my care with someone else for this pregnancy).
  • Options
    That seems strange that your midwife wouldn't see you for possible rupture of membranes. 

How much liquid was it? 

I have PPROMd twice in the second tri. Once at 14 weeks and once at 16 weeks. The 14 week rupture was over night. There was a 5" circle of water on my bedsheets. I didn't leak again for an entire 4 days when they found did an ultrasound and saw the baby had no fluid around him. I was then admitted to the hospital. For the 16 week rupture, it was a small amount of fluid that didn't even soak through my underwear. It happened twice in 15 minutes. Since I had already been through this, I knew exactly what it was and went straight to L&D and demanded to be seen in L&D triage NOT the ER. They eventually let me in and my MFM met me there where she confirmed it was fluid. 

There are strips of Ph paper they can test the fluid on that will change color. They will do a pelvic exam, have you cough to see if fluid comes out, if they can get some they will test it on the strip. They can also use a swab to do a ferning test under microscope. The ER will also do an ultrasound where they can measure the babies fluid. 

I dont mean to sound harsh, but if you truly think you leaked fluid, you should be seen regardless of the price. If you REALLY think it might be fluid, you are at risk of going into labor and you don't want to do that at home this early in the game. 

I REALLY REALLY hope it was just pee. 

Please PM me if you'd like. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    ***tw***

My mom actually lost a baby before me at 19 weeks because she was leaking fluid and didn't realize it until it was too late. This was the pregnancy before me. Definitely happens and is definitely possible. I had it happen at 13 weeks last pregnancy,  so not quite second tri, but pretty close. I lost that baby too. 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • Options
    I was concerned about potentially leaking fluid last pregnancy (it was right at the end though) and they took it very seriously. Made me go immediately to the hospital for a ph strip test. I was admitted to L&D while they monitored me and did ultrasounds. 

I hope it's just pee. Are you still leaking? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely smell it- pee smells like windex, amniotic fluid smells sweet. And I would call and get checked either way, it's an easy check with a little test strip.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I will be going into Same Day Care today to get it checked.
    Thanks for all the help!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @GirPipley It wasn't a lot of liquid; just enough for me to notice. 
  • Options
    @GirPipley It wasn't a lot of liquid; just enough for me to notice. 
    Please keep us posted. This just sits really close to my heart since I have lost 3 babies in the second trimester from this. Don't let your midwife tell you it's not fluid until she knows for a fact it's not. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm sorry to hear of your losses.
    Midwife contacted me today and asked if I wanted to come in and check things out, get a sonogram (at local doctor's clinic) if needed. So I'm headed there in two hours. 
  • Options
    If there's a chance you could be leaking amniotic fluid, they should be doing any inspection or transvaginal ultrasounds with sterile gloves/lube/etc. Make sure whoever is doing the actual check knows what you suspect so they know to do that.
  • Options
    I've got no insight on this but just wanted to wish you well and say that I really hope it's just pee. I know that sounds embarrassing but I would rather have peed myself than be leaking anything else this early. Big hugs!
  • Options
    leighryleighry member
    I haven't had a question this early on in my pregnancies but I will say with #2 my water broke at midnight while I was at work and I thought I had just peed a little. I don't go to the hospital until 10 am the next morning so it had already been almost 12 hours since I had started leaking and I think that played a part in my having a section because the baby's heart rate started going up and once it was over 200 they told me they had to get her out. I wish I had paid closer attention and just gone up to L+D since I work in the hospital anyway just to get checked..you're never wrong to get checked! I think I'm also just bitter because my c-section was terrible.
  • Options
    My midwife checked the heartbeat and cervix and did an amniotic fluid test and everything was fine. PTL
    So glad to hear everything is good. Welcome to the "peeing your pants" club. Isn't that like a right of passage for pregnant women anyways? Lol!
  • Options
    shevaCCshevaCC member
    What a relief! I'm really glad you got a good update. How crazy pregnancy is to be happy for pee!
  • Options
    @tigerfish227 I thought it was a rite of passage AFTER you had the baby. Never leaked before with my first two. This pregnancy has been totally different.
  • Options
    So glad it was just pee!
    Pregnancy Ticker