Babies on the Brain
Options

Nov is the month! *Trigger baby mentioned*

So I have a 5 month old and we decided to start trying in Nov for #2. Aunt flow hasn't paid me a visit since I'm still breastfeeding. Assuming she's still not back, what is the best way to check my fertile days?

Re: Nov is the month! *Trigger baby mentioned*

• Options
    I don't have any experience with this, as I am still waiting to TTC #1. But from what I understand it is difficult to predict when your period will return while breastfeeding- some women will experience the return of ovulation & menses soon after they start introducing new foods to their baby, while others may not experience a period until after they fully wean their baby. It is definitely possible to get pregnant during your first ovulation cycle after pregnancy, but it's just hard to predict when that is. If I were in your position I wouldn't worry about it until you're ready to try (assuming you're preventing now), and if my period hadn't returned by then I would just periodically test for pregnancy until I did see the return. Your period may have returned by November though making temping/charting a lot easier. Charting and temping are the only way I know of to confirm ovulation. You can start this before your period returns, but keep in mind that it could be several months until you ovulate. 
    Me (28) & DH (35)
    Met 4/2010+Married 8/2014 
    TTC #1 August 2016BFP 10/2016= DD Born 6.23.17
    NTNP April 2018. BFP 5/2018 EDD 1.29.19 *Team Green*

• Options
    izza2izza2 member
    So I have a 5 month old and we decided to start trying in Nov for #2. Aunt flow hasn't paid me a visit since I'm still breastfeeding. Assuming she's still not back, what is the best way to check my fertile days?
    Regardless of whether you've had a period or not, the best way to check your ovulation date and know your FW is to check your BBT. Fertility friend is an excellent resource and a great site for charting your cervical mucus, cervical position, spotting, period, temperature, OPKs, etc. and tracking your cycles. It will predict based on your signs when you have ovulated.
    Right now, since you're BF, you may not get a period or ovulate at all. However, once you start weaning your LO is when you would be best to start temping and charting. You can start now, but it likely won't get you anywhere until you start feeding LO solid/other foods.

But, temping is the best and only accurate way to check for ovulation at home. OPKs test for a LH surge, which is helpful while temping, but you can have multiple surges throughout your cycle without actually having ovulated, so they're not entirely reliable by themselves. Your CM changes as you get closer to your FW and ovulation, so checking that can help as well.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023