December 2016 Moms
Options

Are your pets acting weird?

I have two dogs and two cats.  Usually the dogs are attached to my hip and the cats couldn't care less about me.  Now that I'm pregnant, though, the cats are constantly wanting to cuddle and the dogs want nothing to do with me.  They aren't aggressive or anything, but just don't like coming near me.  I think with all my gagging and vomiting they think I'm broken  :D Anyone else having weird pet issues now that you are pregnant?

Re: Are your pets acting weird?

• Options
    My dog is a 50lb cuddler. He loves nothing more than to cuddle up with me on the bed or the couch. He used to cuddle right on top of me, but since we found out about baby he's not allowed on me anymore, so he's upset about that. Yesterday when I took a nap he put his head right on my stomach and wouldn't budge when I tried to move him. I ended up making him move because it was just so uncomfortable. I think he knows and is slightly jealous.
    Married 4/12/13
    Anniversary
    TTC since 6/13
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS 4/9/15 - R/E recommended lifestyle change
    BFP 4/10/16 - DS born 12/16/2016
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    SURPRISE! BFP 3/8/18
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    last pregnancy I think my dog was convinced I was dying. This time she's just pissed I'm not getting her out as much/as long.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @phoenix870509 That's adorable.  I'm jealous! I miss my cuddly dogs!

@slartybartfast I'm pretty sure my dogs are also convinced I'm dying.  They do come check on me a lot, but literally only for like a second to make sure I'm alive.
  • Options
    We have two 70lb pitbulls and they're always mommy's dogs but lately I can't lay down on the couch without being cuddled immediately from both sides lol. 

Our dog trainer said that dogs can sense/hear the extra heartbeat(s) and it will either draw them to you or scare them away. I don't know how true it is, but it makes sense I guess. 
    4/15/16: Beta 379, 4/18/16: Beta 1358! 
    5/2/16: 2 heartbeats  <3  <3
    5/11/16: Baby A hb180, Baby B hb166 

Due 12/22/16 with two! 

• Options
    I'm glad someone brought this up. I'm having MAJOR issues with my Weimaraner. She developed this awful habit of pacing in my room all night and peeing (occasionally pooping) on the floor. She hasn't done this in all of her 5 years of life. I googled this and it seems that a lot of dogs have this issue with pregnant owners. They they can smell your hormones and causes them to act that way :neutral: Scary part is.. I work in the veterinary field lol. I'm going to do blood work & urine test to make sure there isn't an actual medical problem going on first. This sucks.
    ****Siggy TW****
    natural pregnancy: 2008 
    Me: 28 (Hypothyroid), DH: 35
    Together since: 2010
    Married: 2013
    TTC: 2013
    Infertility: severe MFI, low AMH (0.5)
    Met RE: January 2016
    ER: 3/14 (4 follies, 6 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized)
    fresh 3dt of 2 embryos= BFP (1 implanted)
    EDD w/ baby boy= 12/6/16
  • Options
    For the most part, my two Miniature Schnauzers are acting pretty normal, although frustrated when we don't go out for a walk because I feel sick/am falling down exhausted. One has always loved to lay on top of me to cuddle, and I can't wait for the day that he gets a foot to the face through my stomach. 
  • Options
    My cats tend to be pretty aloof but any time I'm sick they instantly want to cuddle. I think their recent cuddles have more to do with the sick side of being pregnant, not the actual pregnancy. I think during second tri their cuddles will be few and far between as they usually are. What's funny is they do not like being snuggled but they also will not let me go to the bathroom or take a bath by myself! If I get up and leave the room for anything they have to follow me, but will stay 10 feet away if at all possible.
  • Options
    capps42613: I work in the veterinary field too! I am a licensed vet tech. :) Hopefully nothing is medically wrong with your girl! She might just be super stressed out, huh? Poor kid.

I have not noticed my dogs and cats acting differently. All 5 of our animals have cute, doofy personalities, where they're pretty adaptable and happy with most situations, so it's probably more that they're too silly/simple to notice what's going on.
    Type 1 Diabetic (high risk)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    cgss11cgss11 member
    So far, no. Our dog is pretty much our shadow, so she doesn't leave my side, but that's typical for her anyways.
  • Options
    emisiemisi member
    My cats are acting as weird as they usually do, lol.  The younger fluffy one is more cuddly lately, but he'd been starting that before I got pregnant.  I think he's just finally decided attention is a good thing.  Of course, once we have the baby he's going to be totally unhappy, since he haaaaaaaaaaaaaates my son.  Poor thing.  ;)  The one one, however, will be fine with it, she loves DS.
    Dec 2016 BMB August Siggy Challenge: Awkward Back to School Photos

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    We have a female pit and although she normally follows me around, she is all over me!  I have HG so I have to carry around a small trash can everywhere. As soon as I start to get sick she is right there, either next to the trash can or in the bathroom with me! Crazy how they can sense it.
  • Options
    Our 2 dogs started acting weird early on, right when we did our first home test. They're both glued to me most of the time, and just generally agitated. I haven't been very sick, so I have to assume they can just sense the pregnancy and it weirds them out. It's sweet, but yeah, a 50 lb pit who wants to lie on my stomach is not so great right now.
  • Options
    My dogs don't care. They've never cared. They didn't notice anything was up until we brought DD home from the hospital. Little stupey things.
    December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~BFP 03/22/14 EDD 12/05/14~                       
    ~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave
  • Options
    We have a 150 lb suck (bullmastiff crossed with a St. Bernard). I feel like she knew I was pregnant before I even did! About half a week before we found out she got a lot more protective of me. We usually sit with her on the porch (she is always leashed) and would only perk up if another dog or someone she knew walked by. But all of a sudden she perks up and actually sits in front of me if anything or anyone walks by. She also knows to play more gentler me. For instance, She won't pull as hard with tug. And she won't sit on my lap anymore. Before as soon as I sat on the ground she would plop down on my lap (big dogs always think their a lap dog haha) and now she lays or sits beside me when I go to the ground. 

Also funny enough before if me and my DH would hug or kiss she would stomp and want to be involved as well. Now she just kind of lets it happen. I don't know if that's just her maturing (she's only 2 years) or has to do with the pregnancy. 

Ive been having fun with her teaching her to "touch" my belly with her nose when I ask her where the baby is! 
  • Options
    beff12beff12 member
    Our dog is always weird, so not much has changed ;) but really, he may notice something because he's been sticking pretty close by me. When I was pregnant with DD he would be annoyed that he couldn't rest his head on my lap because my belly was too big. He also likes to put his head on my stomach when I'm laying on the couch and he got some kicks from DD. 

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• Options
    This is our third baby in 3 years so I think it's our beagle's new normal. She has free range of the house but been sleeping in her crate more lately. (Instead of our bed) 

We had a cat when I was pregnant with my first. He knew before I did. All of a sudden he was curling up on top of me, pushing the dog away. He used to run the house all night, so it was a huge change. He also stopped using his litter box. His previous owner gave him up while she was pregnant with their second so I think it really threw him off when I became pregnant. 
  • Options
    My pets notice. I was never a cat person but we now have 2, both claim DH. They have no interest in me whatsoever but when I'm pregnant, I can't keep them away!! We have 2 dogs as well and, while they generally are around me more anyway, there is a marked increase when I'm pregnant with them as well
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    R0824HR0824H member
    My cat has always been a suck, but now she's even more of a cuddle buddy! Literally attached to my hip. I get up to pee, she comes to the bathroom and sits and waits.i go to the kitchen to put a glass away, she's 1foot behind me. It's cute but a little annoying 
    TT#1 July 2015
    BFP#1 & MC:August 2015 
    BFP: #2 10/01/2015 MC: 10/09/2015   BFP #3: 12/22/2015 @ 5 weeks  MC/CP: 12-23-2015
    Fertility Appointment: Feb 23/16, Hysteroscopy 03/02/2016,
    BFP #4: 03/31/16 EDD 12/01/2016 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Definitely! My dog has been extra "up my butt" lately lol 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My dog definitely knew before my hubby did. I knew I was preggers at 10 DPO due to implantation bleeding and I just 'knew'. I could feel it in my bones. Archer, our dog, did too. Crazy thing.

He's been way more protective of me. He has become more of a nervous nelly on walks when it's just me and him. Usually he will run and run and find gopher holes to stick his head in, but now he stays (without my promoting at all) no further than 10 feet in front of me, if not, he'll walk right next to me... That has never happened before now. He also will sit and wait for me to come home after a day of teaching at the top of the stairs. My DH is getting annoyed that he paces all day without me there, too. Arch also started sleeping on the floor next to my side of the bed, even though he has always been a daddy's boy and his bed is on the other side. 

I, personally, love it. First, it makes DH mad because Archer is "his" dog and has always bonded with him over me.
  • Options
    My husky is normally more of a "I'm just fine on my own thanks" kind of dog but when I'm pregnant she's never more than a couple feet from me. She was super in love with my DS when he was a baby, but now that he's running around like a lunatic at 18 months she keeps her distance. 

• Options
    I agree with a previous PP that my dogs are too simple/silly to notice, and if they do they're the same goofballs they've always been. My cats are maybe a TAD more needy but not really. I noticed that they're always waiting outside the bedroom door in the morning, when they used to never come upstairs. 
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• Options
    dmontgodmontgo member
    Went to a friend's house earlier with DH. Our friend has 3 cats, 1 of which rarely comes out when people are visiting. I was sitting on the couch, and the shy male cat came out of hiding to snuggle with me. He was purring and rubbing on me and rolling over. Crazy.
  • Options
    My two mini doxies are being more cuddly and protective. If DH comes to bed after me they both start barking at him. It's funny.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml