June 2016 Moms

Baby has small head at ultrasound

I am 37+5 and went for my growth scan today. The tech and Doctor stated the baby appears to have a "small head". I have no idea what that means so I resorted to google and I am scared out of my mind. I'm sitting in my doctors office right now waiting to talk to the doctor and check for dilation. Any STM experienced this previously or FTM going through this now?

Re: Baby has small head at ultrasound

• meggymemeggyme member
    Hopefully when they said "small head" they just meant relatively small, but still perfectly healthy. I would think they'd have seemed more concerned if it was a serious medical issue like microcephaly (which is probably what you saw on google).
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • My baby's head always measured 1-2 weeks behind the rest of her measurements. When she was born it turned out to have a perfectly average circumference, she just doesn't have a particularly round head and so from different angles it would measure differently. If doctor didn't seem immediately concerned then you shouldn't be either.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would agree that if your doctor didn't seemed concerned, and didn't propose any additional follow-up then you should try not to worry (easier said than done, I know!).
  • If you're concerned, call your dr for clarification instead of googling, google is just the worst.  Is this your first growth scan, or can they compare the rate of growth and see if it's on a good trajectory compared to other body parts?  If things are growing steadily, and it's just a smaller head than average (but not a health concern for your baby), I would try not to worry.  And in the end, it might make delivery a tiny bit easier... ;)
  • ^ yeah, it kind of sounds like if he just made an off-hand comment without acting concerned, he was trying to make you feel better about possibly an easy delivery, not trying to tell you baby has microcephaly or something.
  • alitriaalitria member
    I agree with previous comments.  I've had a couple friends who had average sized babies with giant heads and that was not a blessing.  If your doctor was truly worried about the size of your baby's head/brain from a medical perspective, I think you would have gotten a lot more than an offhand comment!
  • GinnyJ2012GinnyJ2012 member
    edited May 2016
    My first was in the 75% for weight and length but his head was the 40%.  He's perfectly normal, and his stats have stayed the same as he's grown up. Maybe that's what the Dr ment, just that the head was smaller compared to the rest of baby? I would ask for clarification though. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Is it normal procedure to get a growth scan this late? I had one at 20w and 28w but that was it.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Is it normal procedure to get a growth scan this late? I had one at 20w and 28w but that was it.
    It depends.  I had my last one at 34 weeks, but I was considered high risk.
  • This was my first growth scan. 
    Depends on the practice I'm sure. I live in Canada and here it's routine to have only one ultrasound (at 20ish weeks) throughout the pregnancy unless there's a specific cause for concern. 
  • Hey everyone thanks for the comments. I went to my regular doc and he said from what he can see the babies head is so low they wouldn't be able to get a good measurement and he isn't extremely concerned. It was the first growth scan but he said everything else looked good and because her brain looks good he isn't worried. I'm just so nervous with this pregnancy. 
    It's ok and normal to worry. :) so glad your doc was able to clear it up easily. 
    I had one at my 34 week appointment because my belly was measuring 3 weeks small, and a week smaller than my 32 week appointment where I measured right on track so they were worried about fluid levels.  Had I measured okay, my last scan would have been at 20 weeks.  

OP, totally normal and okay to worry.  I try to go by the rule of thumb of if the doctor isn't worried, do your best to not be worried either.  Not as easy as it sounds, I know.  
    I have never had a growth scan. This is my third baby. My last u/s was at 18 weeks for the anatomy scan. 

• Hey everyone thanks for the comments. I went to my regular doc and he said from what he can see the babies head is so low they wouldn't be able to get a good measurement and he isn't extremely concerned. It was the first growth scan but he said everything else looked good and because her brain looks good he isn't worried. I'm just so nervous with this pregnancy. 
    This happemed to me as well. Its hard for them to get good measurements this late, when the baby is low. Im having twins and when baby b finally turned head down at like 28w, all of sudden her head measurements went from 40% to like 2%. Last week doc measured her head at 30% when minutes prior the ultrasound tech measured it at 12%. Its all estimated and depends on babys position and how low they are. Glad to hear you got the same reassurance from your doc! 
  • Last pregnancy, I had scans all the time because of a large baby and low lying placenta. This time around, I only had at 8 weeks, 12 weeks, and 19-20 weeks (and 35 just to see the head is in my pelvis). Makes me so nervous!! Happy to hear your baby is doing okay!

Everyone has different medical needs. While I am not high risk, I do have an autoimmune disease and fibroids, so my doctor has scheduled additional growth scans at 28 weeks, 35 (this monday coming up) and 38 weeks to ensure the baby is growing well and my fibroids are not.

I'm sure OP's doctor has a reason to do a growth scan, it's not usually random, and like pp not everyone gets them. 

Everyone has different medical needs. While I am not high risk, I do have an autoimmune disease and fibroids, so my doctor has scheduled additional growth scans at 28 weeks, 35 (this monday coming up) and 38 weeks to ensure the baby is growing well and my fibroids are not.

I'm sure OP's doctor has a reason to do a growth scan, it's not usually random, and like pp not everyone gets them. 
    True. I had one at 30 and will have another in the next week or two. GD and the baby measuring 3 weeks ahead last time is my combo for why 
  • SMLmomSMLmom member
    I have growth scans every few weeks it seems and did for my last kiddo too since I always measure small.  My OB just likes to be sure baby is still growing even if I'm not, and that's usually the case.  

With my first, I only had 2 US, one to confirm the pregnancy (about 8 weeks) and an anatomy scan at 20 weeks.

I'm with a different practice and my OB does one at 8 weeks, 20 weeks, and 37 weeks to look at potential size, position, and AF levels. I am not considered high risk, its just what this practice does.
  • I am getting weekly U/S and NSTs my baby's is measuring small and the head smaller but there have been no "omg" concerns. I am 35 weeks and baby is measuring at 32 1/2. Other body parts are measuring between 4-10% on the charts and her head is at about 2%. I was told she has a small head but nothing that they should worry about. Because her average growth rate is at 4.8% I will be induced between 37-38 weeks. But I don't see DR until next Thursday to discuss dates. I will continue to get scans until delivery date due to growth issues. I am considered high risk due to low Papp A levels found at my 12 week scan/ blood work.