April 2016 Moms
Options

Over stimulated baby

Does anyone else's LO frequently become overstimulated and inconsolable? I'm struggling with this. Maybe others are too.

We thought LO had reflux because of how frequently she wakes and cries. But I'm starting to realize that I think she is just over tired. She does pretty good at night. But during the day she just can't seem to get into a good deep sleep. She takes these little 10-15 cat naps and wakes up crying within a few minutes. Sometimes she gets to the point of inconsolable screaming. It's as if she is in pain but I don't believe she is. 

All that said, are there any tricks you use to help LO with this? I strive to put her down for naps after about 45 minutes to 1hour of wake time, watch for her sleepy cues, etc. I have tried the swing, rock n play, swaddling. 

Re: Over stimulated baby

• Options
    This happens to my LO too. Sometimes he catnaps and wakes up after 10 or 20 min. Today he woke up after 10 min, but instead of picking him up out of his bassinet, I put the paci back in his mouth, stroked his brow and softly hummed to him. He went right back to sleep! This doesnt always work, but it did today. I also will remove him from stimulation if he is getting super cranky and I know its because he is sleepy. Try taking him into a darkened room with some sort if white noise (like a fan or sound machine) and see if that helps. It usually works for me.
  • Options
    Can you take LO for a walk in the stroller? I also baby wear with my moby so I can get things done and he gets a good nap. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With my first baby, I felt like I had to constantly "entertain" her when she was awake. Eventually, I realized that this overstimulated her. Plenty of time in a bouncy chair, laying on the boppy, etc, where baby can just take in the world around him, has been very good.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah I'm careful to try not to overdo playtime. But I have 2 other kids in the house so there's usually a lot going on and not much quiet time. 
    @Mailmans Baby Momma I don't have a baby carrier. Maybe it's time to invest in one. Would you recommend the moby? 
  • Options
    I like the Moby until they're about 16lbs. Then it's just too hard on my back. I switch to the ergo at that point.
  • Options
    I have the Beco Gemini and I love it! If you cross the straps in the back it doesn't hurt your back. I wear my 12lb boy for several hours every day and my back doesn't get tired from it.
  • Options
    If my guy is tired, he falls asleep. There is nothing I can do to keep him up. As far as being over stimulated... I guess I haven't noticed that. He doesn't sleep more than 13 hours in a 24 hour period though. He loves being awake and looking at everything. How can you tell if a baby is overstimulated ?
  • Options
    @korpatch these are the cues I look out for and are similar to being overtired: arms and legs flailing, clawing at face, the seven mile stare (eyes look like they are propped open with toothpicks), arching back. If he starts exhibiting any of these, I prepare him for a nap. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips!! I don't think he's gotten overstimulated yet, but I'll be on the lookout! At this point if he wants a nap, he does.
  • Options
    Something as simple as the TV can over stimulate them.  LO doesn't sleep well on the days she is cluster feeding because those are the days I binge watch shows.  I only picked that up after another mom friend mentioned it.  This week has been much better since I tried reading instead.  Guess DD doesn't like Scandal :(
  • Options
    Something as simple as the TV can over stimulate them.  LO doesn't sleep well on the days she is cluster feeding because those are the days I binge watch shows.  I only picked that up after another mom friend mentioned it.  This week has been much better since I tried reading instead.  Guess DD doesn't like Scandal :(
    Yeah that sucks! The tv is on most of the day in our house. I've honestly been using it as a babysitter for my 2 year old while I'm taking care of the baby. 
  • Options
    My pediatrician recommended gripe water, and its def. made a difference. They make a daytime and a night time formula. It helps with colic, but also has chamomile which i've found helps him calm down. I give it to him before i nurse, and he can now sleep between 2-3 hours. Also, he only sleeps well in his carseat. If I put him flat he screams and usually vomits from the reflux.
  • Options
    I'm all about the headphones. :smiley: 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mumistheword what brand is the gripe water? I use mommy's bliss. I've never seen a nighttime formula. Good to know 
  • Options
    Yeah I'm careful to try not to overdo playtime. But I have 2 other kids in the house so there's usually a lot going on and not much quiet time. 
    @Mailmans Baby Momma I don't have a baby carrier. Maybe it's time to invest in one. Would you recommend the moby? 
    I love my moby but will convert to my Tula in a few months. I bought mine used with DS1 and it was well worth it. @runningwild
  • Options
    My son has been overstimulated when I've dropped him off at his grandma's for a few hours of babysitting, as well as on days when we've had a lot of people visiting him to say hello. Just so many hours of people holding him, loving him, changing his position, and by the time I get him home he's inconsolable. He behaves as if he's hungry even after being fed, and none of the usual tricks will calm him. I usually have to just have a ton of patience, a bath and then lying down with him on my chest for hours on end until he "decompresses" and I'm able to put him down are the only things that work. He doesn't want to be anywhere but with mommy or daddy and won't fall asleep otherwise, even if I know he's exhausted. It's so sad, and luckily doesn't happen often since we're still limiting his interaction with people.
  • Options
    @runningwild https://mommysbliss.com/shop/night-time-gripe-water/ I got it on Amazon, since I couldn't find it local. I love it.
  • Options
    My son has been overstimulated when I've dropped him off at his grandma's for a few hours of babysitting, as well as on days when we've had a lot of people visiting him to say hello. Just so many hours of people holding him, loving him, changing his position, and by the time I get him home he's inconsolable. He behaves as if he's hungry even after being fed, and none of the usual tricks will calm him. I usually have to just have a ton of patience, a bath and then lying down with him on my chest for hours on end until he "decompresses" and I'm able to put him down are the only things that work. He doesn't want to be anywhere but with mommy or daddy and won't fall asleep otherwise, even if I know he's exhausted. It's so sad, and luckily doesn't happen often since we're still limiting his interaction with people.

--QBF--

My lo does this too. She acts hungry but then doesn't want to eat.