November 2016 Moms
Options

If you were to schedule an elective ultrasound to determine gender how long would you wait?

edited May 2016 in November 2016 Moms
Assume that the place tells you that 15 weeks is the minimum to determine gender and it's the 2D ultrasound. 

If you were to schedule an elective ultrasound to determine gender how long would you wait? 93 votes

15 weeks exactly
9% 9 votes
15 - 16 weeks
23% 22 votes
16 - 17 weeks
31% 29 votes
17 + weeks
35% 33 votes

Re: If you were to schedule an elective ultrasound to determine gender how long would you wait?

• Options
    I said 17 because I'm assuming elective means you pay and since it's possible that the doc won't be able to tell before 16, I'd wait to maximize the chances of actually finding out and minimize the chance of wasting my cash. 
  • Options
    I really want to schedule it this week at 15 weeks but I'm so scared that it'll be wrong or they won't be able to tell and then I'll have to go back again! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really want to schedule it this week at 15 weeks but I'm so scared that it'll be wrong or they won't be able to tell and then I'll have to go back again! 
    There's a decent chance that'll happen. The closer you are to 20 weeks, the more accurate it'll be. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    leighryleighry member
    I'd be afraid to do any earlier than 16 weeks if I was paying for it. You want the best chance for them to be accurate! I voted 16-17 weeks.. anything after 17 you might as well just wait another week or so for the anatomy scan.
  • Options
    lrg14lrg14 member
    One of the places near me gives you two tries to get it. So if you went at 15 weeks and they couldn't tell, they'd have you come back in a week or two for no additional cost.
  • Options
    We are going on the 28th and I'll be 16+5. If we're not able to tell, we can go back again at no charge. 
    K.

Son, K, 9 | Daughter, C, 5 | Daughter, M, expected November 7, 2016
  • Options
    Mine is scheduled for Friday. I'll be 16 weeks exactly. Of all the places I looked at 15 weeks was the earliest they'd let you come in. I picked 16 weeks just to be safe. 
    Grayson Matthew Due 11/4/16
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    leighryleighry member
    @NavyBride93 I was going to PM you Friday to say good luck! So exciting. Hope baby cooperates for you!
  • Options
    @leighry Thanks! I'm super excited!!

• Options
    SheybreSheybre member
    Last time, I found out at exactly 15 weeks! DD definitely us all the right angles and it was fairly obvious.
  • Options
    I already know the sex. So our elective will likely be a 3D/4D US around 32-34 weeks to see his precious face. 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • Options
    Ftm so no idea on the week for us - but if u r paying anyways, why not go for a blood test? We are doing that soon - basically can go anytime 10wks or so onwards 
  • Options
    shevaCCshevaCC member
    If I were doing one, I would schedule at 16 weeks exactly, or as close to then as possible.
  • Options
    whaatwhaat member
    Ftm so no idea on the week for us - but if u r paying anyways, why not go for a blood test? We are doing that soon - basically can go anytime 10wks or so onwards 
    I was going to say the same thing, but then you don't get the extra US pic, which is also important to people and I totally get that. 
  • Options
    Where I live, the NIPT costs $800. The ultrasound package we are getting costs $130. That's why. :)
    K.

Son, K, 9 | Daughter, C, 5 | Daughter, M, expected November 7, 2016
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I'm not high risk so I don't need the genetic testing blood work and costs/time/stress associated with it. I can get the ultrasound to find out the sex in 15 minutes for just $75 at a local radiology place. The last time I waited until the normal anatomy scan at 20 weeks and was fine waiting but this time I just really want to know and start prepping/nursery decorating earlier! :) 
  • Options

They got it wrong for a few people I know when they got it early.  One saw a penis that wasn't there and one didn't see a penis that was there.  I would wait until everything is nice and visible.  I found out at 18 weeks last time.

But this time I see the MFM at 16 weeks so I will probably find out from them but they have high level machines.  If is was low risk I would just wait until the a/s.  You still have 20ish weeks to get the nursery ready at that point.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    leighryleighry member
    Reviving this. I was scheduled for an US at 16 weeks to check growth since I have a septum in my uterus. They just decided to change to appt because they want to do the fetal survey at the same time so they don't "inconvenience me." Thoughtful I guess... but I had the 10th circled on my calendar all excited so I scheduled a private one for the 9th. Can't wait! Since this is my last I figure the splurge is okay.
  • Options
    shevaCCshevaCC member
    @leighry, I don't blame you! Once you start counting down the days it's really hard to go back to waiting another month.
  • Options
    leighryleighry member
    @shevaCC right? I was like 2 weeks more is too long! Hopefully baby cooperates for us! Although like a lot of places you get a 2nd visit free if they can't determine sex at the first one.
  • Options
    I had my elective U/S. (it's a boy!) I highly recommend going to one if you're on the fence about it. They gave me a DVD of the entire u/s with baby kicking and with the tech pointing out his little man bits. It was 2D and 3D. They also gave me 30+ pictures on a CD of him (along with eight more printed out). I also chose to buy a heart beat animal that is a stuffed giraffe with a recording of the baby's HB inside it. I got so many treasures from doing it and have no complaints at all. <3

• Options
    We just had ours and I was 16 weeks and 3 days. It's was amazing!! Ours was $79 and they spent a lot of time with us and pointed out his (it's a boy!!) little nose and ears and all of that fun stuff. He was even sucking his thumb! They gave us 9 pictures and it was so crazy to see the difference between 9 weeks and 16 weeks! Very cool experience! 
  • Options
    leighryleighry member
    edited May 2016
    @NavyBride93 and @anne11716 great! I'm glad to hear it was a great experience. I've been wondering since I made the appt if I should cancel and just suck it up and wait the extra couple weeks but since everyone seems to rave about it I'm keeping it!
  • Options
    4D ultrasound place in my area says 15 weeks. Keep in mind the machine at the Dr's is 2D, so if they can tell after 16 weeks on a 2D machine there's a good chance you'll be able to find out sooner with a 4D machine/
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• Options
    ANZ116ANZ116 member
    Just had an elective ultrasound last night (15 w / 3d) and it's a girl! It was very clear- she cooperated well! It was so worth the money to us and we are on cloud nine. If you can afford it and feel comfortable, I say do it! 
  • Options
    I have a spin off question (is that allowed?). If you do the elective ultrasound to find out, what do you tell your doctor at the 20 week appointment when they ask if you want to know the sex? Am I the only one who feels weird telling my doctor I went around their schedule and found out on my own?
  • Options
    Just smirk and say "let me guess..." haha. I'm just going to say "sure what is it?" I'm sure they're used to it though. I think it's a pretty common thing.
  • Options
    ANZ116ANZ116 member
    @lizap77 I know i'll be all awkward about it haha! I agree with @leighry, just be like "i would bet money its a X" and watch how they react haha
  • Options
    lizap77 said:
    I have a spin off question (is that allowed?). If you do the elective ultrasound to find out, what do you tell your doctor at the 20 week appointment when they ask if you want to know the sex? Am I the only one who feels weird telling my doctor I went around their schedule and found out on my own?
    I had my check up appointment two days ago, so after my elective ultrasound. My OB asked how it went and what the gender was and what his name was. She didn't seem phased. She asked me where I went for it and that was that. :)

• Options
    I'm having mine tomorrow! 16+2. FX it's accurate. Their website claims they have "the most advanced machinery" and they state the actual name of the machine they have as well. So... hopefully the clarity of the image is good enough that baby will still have the same parts at the 20 week a/s, and at birth. I want to start buying clothes!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @lizap77I used my 20 week appointment to confirm that the elective ultrasound was right (I think I was 15 weeks when the elective was done) so I just acted as if I didn't already know. 
  • Options
    mqm418mqm418 member
    I just got one done at 15w 1d and there was no doubt it was a boy. Good luck 
  • Options
    We just had one at 16+2 today, and there is NO DOUBT what we are having. It was an amazing experience. We got a DVD and 9 printouts. He was sucking his thumb and had the hiccups. Seriously, so worth it. 
    Me:23 DH:32
    Married 5/14/13
    TTC #1 since 5/14
    TTC #1 w/ treatments since 5/15
    BFN 7/15
    BFP 8/15-MMC 9/15

BFP 10/15- Diagnosed BO 12/15
    BFP 2/16-EDD 11/18/2016