New Jersey Babies

Experience delivering at Overlook (Summit)?

I recently moved to NJ and although I'm not pregnant yet, I began talking to my new ob/gyn about pregnancy and delivery. Her practice is affiliated with Overlook Hospital in Summit. I really would like an natural birth with as few interventions as possible. I had wanted a water birth but she told me that she doesn't believe they are safe (she will allow laboring in the tub but not the actual delivery). She mentioned that Overlook has one tub but "not many people use/request it".

Now I'm left wondering if laboring in a tub is even possible at Overlook, or if there is anything else I should know about interventions or how natural births are treated there. Does the hospital play a part or is it mainly up to the ob? Thanks!
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Experience delivering at Overlook (Summit)?

• I had my daughter at overlook with all intentions of going natural.  My labor and delivery nurse was wonderful she had me up and walking,  they had birthing balls for me to use as well. There is a tub available but I did not request to use it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had both my daughters at Overlook and had a great experience.  My dad has also been a doctor there forever.  It is a great hospital.  I was in a room with a birthing tub and birthing balls, rails, etc., but didn't end up using them.  I was induced with my first, so couldn't move around a lot.  My second was a c-section.  The L&D nurses were superb.  The best part was the post-natal massage and "dinner date."  They order food from an area restaurant for you and your partner on your last night.  I don't know for sure, but I think the OB is pretty much in charge of your care, as long as it goes with hospital standards.  My OB made all the decisions as far as induction, when to get the epidural, etc.  My current pregnancy will be delivered at St. Barnabas in Livingston due to changes in my OB's policy.  St. Barnabas is wonderful as well.  Morristown Memorial is another great option.

• Loading the player...
  • I delivered at Overlook back in December with no complaints! I arrived already at 7 cm and with plans to go med-free, although severe vomiting with every contraction and dehydration ended up forcing me to take an epidural. The anaesthesiologist talked me through the process and gave me such a low dose that I was able to move my legs and avoid swelling. The staff never even mentioned moving labor along despite me being on my 17th hour of labor when I arrived, and taking 31 hours total.
    Everyone was friendly, helpful, and the right amount of hands-on. The massage was great, the dinner was sweet, the lactation consultant was helpful. Highly recommend!
    Angela

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Through both work and my personal life, I had very negative experiences with Overlook.  I decided it wasn't worth the risk to me.  I picked an OB just for the pregnancy out of Morristown.  I am very happy with the care there.
  • I use midwives of NJ. They deliver out of Morristown hospital. If you want a natural birth, I 100% recommend them!! I could go on forever about how wonderful my experiences have been with them. Water birth is their specialty- you should consider them! Their main office is in hacketstown, Nj but I use their Madison, NJ office primarily.