November 2016 Moms

Rhogam shot in first trimester

So I had my 12 week appointment today and just had a Doppler scan. Heart beat was about 150/160bpm. I have had spotting/bleeding about every two weeks because of a recently diagnosed SCH.  I was lightly spotting for the appointment today and my doctor had me go directly to labor and delivery to get a rhogam shot (I am A-). Anyone else have this?

Re: Rhogam shot in first trimester

• leighryleighry member
    I always have to get rhogam.. but it's always at 28 weeks. So I'm sure they have a reason due to the bleeding? Did they explain why?
  • Not really but I think it is just incase the bleeding turns into something more serious like a MC. That's the only thing I can think of. I don't know what else would cause our blood to mix
  • Loading the player...
  • leighryleighry member
    With my last pregnancy I didn't know until after she was born that our blood had somehow mixed. So I guess better to be safe! I hope the bleeding ends soon!
  • Thanks! I get an ultrasound in 4 weeks to check the SCH. 
  • CPM13CPM13 member
    I'm also rh-   Any time I've had bleeding I have to have a shot. Plus around 28 weeks. I think the shots "last" 12 weeks or so? totally normal just to be safe!
  • They give it with any bleeding when you are Rh- (I asked because I got a shot, too, when I had bleeding)

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had bleeding at 6 weeks from a SCH. Doc said I likely didn't *need* the shot, but to get it just to be safe, so I did. What PP said is correct, it's good for about 12 weeks. You'll have to get it again at 27/28 weeks, and then again after birth.
    I've probably been on The Bump longer than you have.

After 31 cycles, baby boy K (IUI) born 11/03/11

BFP (Femara) - 08/09/13 m/c around 6 weeks. xoxox Baby April

Rainbow baby girl E (Femara) born 11/16/16
  • If you are having bleeding, there is a risk of the babies blood mixing with yours (post-night shifts brain is lacking in the actual term), and while it's not generally an issue in the first pregnancy, an Rh incompatibility can cause issues in future pregnancies, like neonatal anemia so severe the baby may need intrauterine transfusions. This is only a concern if you are Rh negative and baby's dad is Rh positive. Pre-Rhogam, many of these babies had complete exchange transfusions when they were born (like my dad and uncle, the second and third babies). 

This is link may help explain things my foggy brain is struggling with: https://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/The-Rh-Factor-How-It-Can-Affect-Your-Pregnancy
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I went in at 8 weeks with a little spotting, and they had me get the shot. They gave me a little piece of paper with the date on it to keep track of, but didn't say how long it would last (I didn't ask either).
  • Hmmm. I'm RH negative and had bleeding last week. I went in and my doctor said nothing about getting the shot. 
    TTC since 10.07~Diagnosed with PCOS 08.08~4 rounds of clomid=BFN~Took a break from meds... Surprise BFP 03.29.09~ Natural m/c 04.06.09~50mg clomid & progesterone 06.09=BFN

Adoption made our wish come true 12.21.11~JEC 11.10.10

Surprise BFP on 03.26.16! EDD 11.28.16

• @asreinholm is you DH Rh neg? If so then you don't need the shot. If he is positive, I'd call back and ask. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm RH- and my husband is RH+ 
    I needed rhogam when I miscarrried, when I was pregnant with my daughter (3rd tri I think) and after I gave birth (because she was RH+, if she had been RH- I wouldn't have needed it again.)

I had brown spotting this pregnancy and nobody (RE or OB) even suggested rhogam, and I didn't think to ask. 
    Awesome Kid #1: Born September 2013!
    Awesome Kid #2: Due November 2016!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Seems like it's been covered. I had three bleeding/spotting episodes with my last pregnancy and needed to get it 2/3 times. Per my OB - red blood->shot, scant brown blood/spotting->no shot. I did not have a SCH though, just a really friable cervix. For a known SCH they might want to do it every time regardless of color/amount.

My H is also Rh+ so I got it at 28 weeks. I didn't get it after delivery because DD is also Rh-. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My husband doesn't know his blood type. I've asked my doctor and nurse and neither seem concerned. @comealongponds
    TTC since 10.07~Diagnosed with PCOS 08.08~4 rounds of clomid=BFN~Took a break from meds... Surprise BFP 03.29.09~ Natural m/c 04.06.09~50mg clomid & progesterone 06.09=BFN

Adoption made our wish come true 12.21.11~JEC 11.10.10

Surprise BFP on 03.26.16! EDD 11.28.16

• My DH didn't know his blood type either and he didn't want to have to schedule an appt to get blood drawn so we bought a blood typing kit off of Amazon. It was $10 and like a really fun science experiment! I am RH- and DH is RH+ so I have to get a shot in my second trimester and possibly another after birth according to my Dr. 
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• I am also A- (we think husband is O+). I had bleeding (bright red) a few weeks ago. I didn't need the shot because it was a small amount of blood and the ultrasound showed the baby was fine. I think it depends on your doctor and situation and probably how conservative they are. My understanding is there needs to be a significant amount of blood to need the shot. Looking back I think it was coming out of my butt from trying to push a poop out too hard. Gross. She just told me that if there is any bleeding at all to call them and they will make a decision then. The plan sounds the same as everyone else's (shot at 28 weeks and delivery since the shot lasts 12 weeks). But if the bleeding is happening a lot it's probably best to just get the shot, so you have one less thing to worry about. 
  • Hi there, visiting from the December board. I am RH- and had bleeding early on, so I received a shot at 6 weeks. I'll have another at 28 and a third after the baby is born. My partner is RH+.

Pregnancy Ticker 

• My last pregnancy I had the shot at 6 weeks for a very small bleed, 20 weeks for a small car accident with no injury, 28 weeks as usual, and then after delivery as baby is A+. Apparently it didn't work for me because now with this pregnancy I have rh antibodies present and am now high-risk and the baby has to be monitored closely for anemia as pp said. I should mention I had a small amount of bleeding with this pregnancy very early (before I found out I was pregnant) and my doc didn't have me get the shot. It should've been too early for the baby to even have any blood to mix with mine but I can't help but wonder! When in doubt, I'd ask for the shot.