November 2016 Moms

Pregnancy skin problems?

I've been noticing some pimple-like bumps on my upper arms. I don't know why it took me so long to Google this, but apparently, it relates to pregnancy hormones causing over-active keratin production or something, and it's more common in people who have eczema, which I do. It said the bumps are not dangerous and I should just moisturize more, and exfoliate. Not much else can be done.

So...gross, but harmless, like most pregnancy symptoms :-) Anyone else having skin issues?

Re: Pregnancy skin problems?

• I've been breaking out on my neck right around my hairline. Really weird because my chin which is usually my trouble area looks great but now my neck is a battle field. Good thing my hair covers it up.
  • With my first I had a few different skin issue areas and it appears some of those are already coming back with this pregnancy.  I have some pimples on my face and neck and my backne appears to be coming back as well.  With my first I had the little bumps on my upper arms you are referring to...I wouldn't be surprised if I get those again too.  Not to be gross but I also got a small skin tag under my left arm last time and that seems to be coming back too but this time I'm less freaked out about it because I know it will all go away post birth.

• Loading the player...
  • I have literally exactly what you described. 
    Grayson Matthew Due 11/4/16
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• I also have little bumps on my stomach :( and chin - although my face overall feels less oily than before 
  • jstinkzjstinkz member
     I have a bad case of backne and did last time. I never got those bumps on my arms but got them on my thighs last time. Thankfully they haven't showed up this time...yet.
  • @ficbot - I have KP when I'm not pregnant and it's generally pretty bad. It actually clears up about 99% when I'm pregnant. I also take a DHA along with my prenatal and apparently that helps with it as well (or fish oil when you're not pregnant).
    Me: 31, DH: 31
    Married: September 2012
    Began TTC: September 2015
    BFP #1: 10/12/16, EDD: 06/23/15,
    (pPROM, 16 wks + emergency D&E 12/31/15)
    BFP #2: 03/09/16, EDD: 11/16/16

• I usually have pretty good skin, both have broke out with both pregnancies. My fave is fine, but my back breaks out. I even found a small zit on my stomach...pregnancy is glamorous! 
    Married since Jan 2013
    Sweet DD born at 41 weeks Feb 2015
    *Diagnosed with lean PCOS*
    TWINS due 11/22/2016

• I had extremely bad cystic acne on my shoulders and back immediately after getting pregnant. My normal "fixes" didn't seem to work and I got really self conscious about it. After playing around, using 2 toners and following with a moisturizer has helped tremendously! The 2 that work for me (both pregnancy-safe according to OB):
    1st: neutrogena pore refining toner
    Then: l'oreal hydrafresh toner
    Obviously everyone's skin is different, but I was amazed how fast those cleared things up.
  • My hormones have been crazy for almost a year now and my face was broken out the entire time... Im 15 and a half weeks now and my face seems to finally be getting better. I use aveeno face wash with aveeno moisturizer... This is the first time in my life I've used moisturizer on my face and I really do think it helped a little 
  • I'm super zitty all along my chin, under my chin, and along my neck and jaw. Also, my uppers arms are red constantly. Not a good look. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kms456kms456 member
    My face looks like I'm a 16 year old going through puberty. super fun.
    Me: 30 DH:31 DD:3
    3/6/16 BFP 
    EDD: 11/14/16

• I woke up with eczema patches on my cheek the other day, and this morning there is more on my chin line. Wtf? I've never had eczema!

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been using apple cider vinegar on my face and it has been working to get rid of my bad breakouts. Slowly but surely :) I had it pretty bad. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm definitely breaking out on my face, and holy blackheads batman. Is anyone else getting terrible blackheads? I've never had them this bad before. I don't even know what products are safe (if any) to get rid of them... 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Ash9614Ash9614 member
    My skin changes personality every week. Last week it was smooth and glowy, this week it's greasy and bumpy. Been using African black soap and Belli spot treatment since TTC - may try apple cider vinegar as a toner to see what that does!
    Me: 31; DH: 31
    NTNP: May 2015
    TTC #1: late August 2015
    PCOS Dx: January 2016, starting Femara Feb 2016
    BFP: 2/29/16 - Happy Leap Day!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Anyone else with bad eczema? And if so what are you using? I had a prescription but don't think it's safe during pregnancy. It's also now under one eye and it looks like I have a black eye it's so swollen and dark. So that's great. A pregnant woman with a black eye. 
    Advice? 
  • Pimples everywhere - especially on my chest and on my back. My face, however, absolutely spotless.
  • kristah2 said:
    Anyone else with bad eczema? And if so what are you using? I had a prescription but don't think it's safe during pregnancy. It's also now under one eye and it looks like I have a black eye it's so swollen and dark. So that's great. A pregnant woman with a black eye. 
    Advice? 
    My eczema isn't awful but it's still itchy and annoying. Aveeno has a product that is really mild, but it isn't the most effective either. I've just been lathering up with a thick unscented lotion a few times a day and it has helped. It's far from gone but it doesn't itch as much.
  • @lizap77 I've been using the aveeno product and no luck :( I've been waking up missing of the night scratching my arm. Hopefully my dr has some recommendations Friday! 
  • My skin is normally clear and smooth and it was perfect with DS, but right now I have a nice, bumpy forehead and backne! Plus I feel gross since my skin has been so dry! (Dry skin is my biggest pet peeve.) My lower legs look like the dry skin could literally be sanded off. Overall, I'm oily and dry in all the wrong places.
  • kristah2 said:
    Anyone else with bad eczema? And if so what are you using? I had a prescription but don't think it's safe during pregnancy. It's also now under one eye and it looks like I have a black eye it's so swollen and dark. So that's great. A pregnant woman with a black eye. 
    Advice? 
    Mine is it "bad" but I have some new patches on my face and they are a pain! I've had good luck with this all natural citrus serum I have (it's by Seventh Generation, but it was a gift and idk where it's sold - mine was a gift) and/or coconut oil. I am super hesitant to put something on my face, because I don't want a break out on top of my eczema, but both of these are pretty gentle for me. 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @MrsBigTime @lizap77 I spoke to my dr on Friday and she gave me a pregnancy safe prescription I can use! Something to consider if it's driving you insane! 
  • My skin is awful. I have these little red blotches all over my face they look almost like hives but they are not raised and they don't itch or hurt along with acne! Still waiting for that pregnancy glow... 
  • Katemr1146Katemr1146 member
    edited May 2016
    My skin is relatively good this time around, but my first pregnancy was awful!! I was a greasy broken out mess everywhere. My face, chest, back. I'm hoping that doesn't start again this time. i found Cetaphil helped the most last time. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had eczema before, and it's gotten worse with pregnancy. Eucerin cream has worked for me in the past, although sometimes a little heavy/greasy feeling. I generally put it on at night.