September 2016 Moms
Options

The Baby Shower Thread

Re: The Baby Shower Thread

• Options
    @blondie080300 I got each of my shower hosts a nice bottle of wine and some chocolates, along with a heartfelt note of thanks. It wasn't much but I think they appreciated it!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What are your thoughts on thank you notes for a baby q / diaper party? Do you think we should send thank yous for the diapers and wipes we receive? We put a note on our invite "no other gifts necessary", but some people have already said they're doing more / I received a gift yesterday from someone who can't make it to the party and inside was diapers, wipes and an outfit. I plan to send thank yous for any extra gifts but do you think I should send thank yous for attending the party and for the diapers?? We went to one other party like this before and did not get a thank you. (We gave two bags of diapers and a box of wipes and an outfit) just not sure on the etiquette for this!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would probably err on the side of caution and send them out
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That was my thought too @megan324 just didn't know if that was overkill. But better to be thankful and appreciative than to seem ungrateful. 
  • Options
    @rock1cherry I really don't know what the proper etiquette would be but exactly as you said it's better to seem overly thankful than ungrateful. 

Anddd for 2 bags of diapers and outfit and wipes I would have expected a thank you note lol did you feel weird that you didn't get one?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Honestly, I didn't think about it at the time @megan324 but now that we are having our own it reminded me we didn't get one. We just went to a 1st bday party for the same person as the diaper party - will see if we get a thank you for that gift...
  • Options
    camichael84camichael84 member
    edited July 2016
    @blondie080300 I got my host a nice candle, Starbucks gift card, and a bottle of pink (because I was having a girl) nail polish. But only my SIL hosted it, so it was easier to do one big gift. I think a thank you gift is definitely in order for any shower (I've given and received them anytime I threw/had one), but what you get them should be what you're comfortable with. Given how many helped with your shower, I really like the brunch and chocolate idea.

Eta: I also did a Thank You card with a personal note from me in it.

• Options
    Hostess gift question,
    My one aunt is the one who is throwing the shower but it is at one of my other aunts house. Gift for both of them right? Oh and my MIL helped plan it so do I get her a gift too??

That whole shower has been a nightmare for me. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    RG1RG1 member
    Megan324 said:
    Hostess gift question,
    My one aunt is the one who is throwing the shower but it is at one of my other aunts house. Gift for both of them right? Oh and my MIL helped plan it so do I get her a gift too??

That whole shower has been a nightmare for me. 
    Hmm I would say gift for all of them. sorry it's been a nightmare :( what's going on?
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @Megan324 I'd say yes, gift for all three. I'm not sure how equally they contributed, but they all did, and I'd hate to put one out for not recognizing it.

Sorry your shower has been stressful for you. 

• Options
    Ill try and keep this short and sweet lol but basically my aunt mary offered to throw me the shower but then never really asked/told me about anything, I had to call her to ask her to set a date like 2 weeks ago because, hello, times a ticking lol. but then my MIL sent me a list in the mail of like 15 people that expected to be invited to the shower from her side of the family.
    My Aunt never asked me for a guest list or asked if I had anyone to invite, so I felt really uncomfortable. I told my aunt about the list and she said "oh well maybe they want to throw you their own shower"
    (Side note- Ive mentioned before that I have only met his family once before so i definitely didnt expect them to throw me a shower and MIL is already throwing one for her daughter so its not like I was going to ask her to throw me a separate one too)
    I have a rocky relationship with my aunts and I have been trying to rebuild it so I didn't want to step on any toes there but then I am just building the relationship with my MIL and I don't want to start out by offending her family.
    My aunt and MIL talked and her fam is coming to the shower but then my aunt told me that she isn't sending out formal invites.
    Since I already had the list I just wrote up some invites myself. My MIL got my invite and called me and said that she was going to send out invites too and neither of us was going to tell the other because be both felt awkward and we had a laugh about that so thankfully that went over okay .

This whole thing has been so stressful and I feel so caught in the middle! I will be happy when its all over lol.
    @camichael84  @RG1

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    RG1RG1 member
    @Megan324 oh man that sounds very awkward and stressful! Definitely will be a relief when it's over. It's hard when you know you should feel grateful but you just feel stressed out. Makes it feel like more trouble than it's worth. 
  • Options
    @Megan324 Your aunt sounds like my MIL. She threw my SIL's bridal and baby showers. She apparently doesn't believe in formal invites. And didn't plan anything until like a week before the shower. Then, with the bridal shower, she changed the location at the last minute. I didn't even know she'd changed it until I called on my way there! I can totally see how stressful of a situation that all is. I hope it all goes smoothly from here on out and that you can sit back and enjoy yourself the day of!

• Options
    @RG1 @camichael84 Thank you! It has been so very awkward and I told FI that at this point I don't even want a shower lol. but I am sure it will be fine now that it is all planned and set.
    The only thing I worry about now is how the 2 families will mix. but whatever haha
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hi ladies! Does anyone have thoughts on a thank-you gift for people who took the time to throw you a shower? Mine is coming up on the 23rd and has been a combined effort between my mom, sister, aunt, mother-in-law, aunt-in-law and grandma. I want to do something nice but I am not sure what. Has anyone done something for those that put on the shower? It is at a banquet hall with about 65 guests attending I think.

argh! Stuck in the box. Anyhow, I bought the gals that threw my shower last time a lotion gift set from Body Shop. It was a tub of body butter, I think a foot scrub and another type of lotion in a pretty box. Worked perfectly!

• Options
    @MrsVoorhees I had the same thought at first hahahahaha
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    RG1RG1 member
    edited July 2016
    @MrsVoorhees @Megan324 LOL oops. There is only going to be 13 people (2 are kids, 2 are me and DH) since my work is holding me a separate shower so kind of close to 2-4 lol. I just got a text from her saying she can't afford us a customized cake and wondered what she should do. I just wanted the shower and don't want to be dictating things so I'm tired of the questions lol. She is literally buying plates and cutlery for 13 people and getting a cake since we are providing food. Blah. I don't get why she would offer to host if it's not in her budget (also we know how much she makes and it's more than us). I'll also be excited when it's done!

eta: I sound ungrateful. But I just wanted this process to not really involve me and that's how I pictured it happening. I wouldn't really have wanted something if I had to stress about it 
  • Options
    @RG1 ugh annoying lol sounds like my brother who is throwing FI a diaper party but asked me to buy all the food (he wanted me to buy steak for 12 people lol you're getting hotdogs)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    RG1 said:
    @MrsVoorhees @Megan324 LOL oops. There is only going to be 13 people (2 are kids, 2 are me and DH) since my work is holding me a separate shower so kind of close to 2-4 lol. I just got a text from her saying she can't afford us a customized cake and wondered what she should do. I just wanted the shower and don't want to be dictating things so I'm tired of the questions lol. She is literally buying plates and cutlery for 13 people and getting a cake since we are providing food. Blah. I don't get why she would offer to host if it's not in her budget (also we know how much she makes and it's more than us). I'll also be excited when it's done!

eta: I sound ungrateful. But I just wanted this process to not really involve me and that's how I pictured it happening. I wouldn't really have wanted something if I had to stress about it 
    to be honest thats they way it should be. if someone is throwing a shower for you - you should just be able to show up. the showers for my inlaws/ my parents are alot of input or buying from us so part of me wishes we just didnt do anything and save the energy, money and stress.But i know they are looking forward to them so we'll see how this plays out! patience and know everyone has good intentions.

ps - who sells cutlery for 13 people? that so random, just order a small cake and give yourself a gold star if she's that determined!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    RG1RG1 member
    chavezrd2 said:
    RG1 said:

to be honest thats they way it should be. if someone is throwing a shower for you - you should just be able to show up. the showers for my inlaws/ my parents are alot of input or buying from us so part of me wishes we just didnt do anything and save the energy, money and stress.But i know they are looking forward to them so we'll see how this plays out! patience and know everyone has good intentions.

ps - who sells cutlery for 13 people? that so random, just order a small cake and give yourself a gold star if she's that determined!
    Haha I think she's just getting plastic cutlery from the dollar store, probably for more than 13 people though lol. I think the smallest bag is 20
  • Options
    RG1RG1 member
    @blondie080300 Ugh, so frustrating! I'm sorry you're going through this, but I  feel a bit better knowing im not the only one who was dragged into shower decisions without wanting to be : D. I hope we can all have a good time at our showers and breathe a sigh of relief when they're over. The joy has definitely been sucked out of my shower too - such a drag.
  • Options
    Thanks @RG1. When is your shower again? We should have virtual cocktails to celebrate when they are over. <3
    Married: 3/21/15
    First time mom to a human but have been a puppy mamma for over 12 years :)

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @blondie080300 oh man that's rough.
    aren't showers supposed to be a nice gift to pamper and honor the mom to be? Lol that's what I used to think
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @blondie080300 sounds like your MIL is making the shower all about her. What does it matter if she just provided money for it? Does she need everyone to gloat about how great her decisions were? Or does she want her DIL to have a great shower? People.
  • Options
    Mom is throwing me a baby sprinkle at a local restaurant, about 30 guests, it'll be co-ed, I want my husband to be there and so will my friends husbands. :) the more the merrier! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @MrsVoorhees Ikr?! On another note, she is also unhappy about our decision to not want family at the hospital until after the baby is born. She was really putting pressure on DH to be allowed to be in the waiting room. Since I am practicing hypnobirthing, I don't want any distractions, pressure, etc. to take away from my calm, relaxed state I am hoping to achieve. Plus, we will want 1-2 hours of skin-to-skin time, etc. MIL, this is not about YOU! :( The hospital is 10 mins from her house so she can wait there and we will let her know when we are ready for visitors.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @AnnaS930 Ew, we might have the same MIL. So self absorbed! 
  • Options
    @AnnaS930 We are also having a book themed shower! :smile: At least now I will be ready if I have to hear about $30 Winnie the Pooh books from MIL! Lol

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @blondie080300 - she also comments on how nice of a book it is every time she comes over. Brace yourself.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @AnnaS930 Yes, we definitely have the same MIL then! She calls simply to talk about herself, makes every conversation about herself and will tell the same stories 1000000x...you guessed it..about herself!