July 2016 Moms
Options

Impending labor symptoms

Use this thread to discuss/describe your impending labor symptoms. Lost a mucus plug? Bloody show make its appearance? Possible contractions? Dilation starting? Baby drop? Share here! Hopefully this will cut down on random snowflake threads. 

Please for the love of everything good in life, do not post pictures of anything falling out of your body (unless it is baby). 

Re: Impending labor symptoms

• Options
    I'm early July (7th) for a due date. I had my doctor appointment today and told her that last week I ran twice and it didn't feel good, but I brushed it off as me just hating running on the treadmill (I've been running my entire pregnancy and was ready to run a half marathon at 30 weeks). Then yesterday I went out for 6-8 miles and after 2 miles, had to turn around and walk 2 miles home. Every time I tried to run, I would get pains in my belly and even when walking, I would get a tightness in the belly.

Doctor told me I was done running. I was experiencing contractions. So much so, that she wanted to do a cervical check. I wasn't dilating, but my cervix is very, VERY soft. He's also laying very low.

I'm on strict orders to not do any exercise this week and take it very easy. If I feel more contractions, I have to call the office. We are doing another ultrasound at my next appointment in 2 weeks to check his position and size, but I'm also to get cervical checks at every appointment now. I'm a 3 time scheduled c-section so going into labor is a real concern.

I wouldn't mind a late June baby, but he needs to keep cooking for a little longer...  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    rakel88rakel88 member
    @melodramatic26 that sounds so scary, especially since you've been running throughout. I'm super worried about something similar happening to me since I've been keeping up all my normal activities too. 
    I hope that's all for you though, and that nothing more happens. Let that baby cook as long as possible :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Should we try and get this posted at the top? 
    Married: August 2012
    TTC #1: July 2015
    BFP 1: October 30, 2015; EDD: July 6, 2016- Team Pink
    TTC #2: September 2019

• Options
    YeezusButters ok that works for me!

• Options
    megstervtmegstervt member
    edited May 2016

I feel really stupid asking this, just wanted to put that out there first.

At what point do you call your doctor about contractions that you're almost positive aren't the "real thing"?  I'm a FTM so really have no idea about BH and what feels and is normal.  Last night I had 4, what I think were, contractions.  They were only 30ish seconds long and over the course of almost 2 hours.  No progress and no pattern and while uncomfortable they weren't particularly painful or distressing.  I KNOW this was not real labor, but I'm not sure if I need to call the doctor and let them know.  I don't have another OB appointment for 2 weeks and was last seen 2 weeks ago if that matters.  I also know I could call the nurses line, but really I'm thinking this is normal and no concern.  What do you guys think?  Is it worth calling?

ETA: words for clarity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    LDSJM123 said:
    megstervt said:

I feel really stupid asking this, just wanted to put that out there first.

At what point do you call your doctor about contractions that you're almost positive aren't the "real thing"?  I'm a FTM so really have no idea about BH and what feels and is normal.  Last night I had 4, what I think were, contractions.  They were only 30ish seconds long and over the course of almost 2 hours.  Not progress and no pattern and while uncomfortable they weren't particularly painful or distressing.  I KNOW this was not real labor, but I'm not sure if I need to call the doctor and let them know.  I don't have another OB appointment for 2 weeks and was last seen 2 weeks ago if that matters.  I also know I could call the nurses line, but really I'm thinking this is normal and no concern.  What do you guys think?  Is it worth calling?

ETA: words for clarity.

Braxton hicks (to me, a STM) feel uncomfortable and you can feel that your uterus is very hard. Occasionally they may hurt for a second, but they should not be consecutively painful according to my OB. My doctor told me that when I start to have several in a row (one night I was having them every 5 minutes) I need to hydrate, make sure my bladder is empty, rest, and monitor them for a couple hours before getting too concerned. These few things have always sufficed. Hydration and making sure I don't have to go to the bathroom have been a huge help. But at any point they are consistently painful or accompanied by blood or any type of water gush, is when I've been instructed to call. 

This was really helpful.  thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    @megstervt  You could always call the nurse line if you need to put your mind at ease. With my first, I would get BH just walking up the 3 flights of stairs to our condo, my entire stomach would be rock hard but after sitting and drinking water I would feel better. This time around I actually had them at work to the point that the pain stopped me in my tracks, it was that painful, but I knew it wasn't the real thing because it was happening on one side, and wasn't consistent. I second what others have said, make sure you are keeping hydrated. It's hard for me to  to drink that much water throughout the day, but carrying around my water bottle everywhere is a good reminder.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  I drink a lot of water during the day (usually around 100oz or more).  This happened last night in the middle of the night so it's very likely I was not fully hydrated since it had been hours and hours since I last drank.  I was nervous about drinking when it was happening, but if it comes up again I'll be sure to drink and see if that helps.  Thanks for putting my FTM brain at ease!
  • Options
    @megstervt I asked my midwife about this last week because I've had more BH lately and sometimes they can be really uncomfortable, though other times they are fine. She said if I have six or more in an hour to eat something, drink a ton of water, and lie down. If after I do all those things it keeps going at that same pace, then I need to call. It made me feel a lot better because sometimes I'll have three in a row and then they stop, or I get them when I walk my dog, but if I drink water and lie down it always helps. Definitely ask what your providers threshold is for calling/coming in, some have different guidelines. 
  • Options
    My doctor also has compared it to your stomach becoming rock hard like a bowling ball, if that helps.  I get them a lot because I have an "irritable uterus." :/  They also recommend that when you lie down to rest with them that you lie down on your left side.  Not sure what's magical about left, but, that's what they say. :)
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • Options
    stellaluna14 I also get BH when I walk. I try and slow my pace down or just take a break till it goes away. But I've basically stopped with my walks during lunch and exchanged them for naps. But walking does trigger them for me. 

• Options
    @megstervt  so FTM here but I THINK I have had both BH and an actual contraction after the crap this weekend and my doctor agrees. For me, the BH feels like the muscles clench and my stomach becomes rock hard like your leg when you get a charlie horse. I have never felt any pain though, maybe a slight uncomfortable twinge but nothing really. With the other contraction I felt it more internally and it wrapped around to lower back too and it took my breath away and I grabbed a table ledge. It sounds like everyone is different with how things can feel.
  • Options
    I just wanted to add do not always trust the nurses... With my LO, I called and called and they kept telling me to stay home...well I finally said Im coming in and got there and I was complete and ready to push.  If the doc hadnt been there I would have delivered with just the nurse.   Next time I will just go in and they can send me home. hahah:)
  • Options
    john5111 said:
    I just wanted to add do not always trust the nurses... With my LO, I called and called and they kept telling me to stay home...well I finally said Im coming in and got there and I was complete and ready to push.  If the doc hadnt been there I would have delivered with just the nurse.   Next time I will just go in and they can send me home. hahah:)
    I 2nd this! I was in Labor and Delivery with DS BM and she kept complaining (after epidural) that she felt like she had to go and the nurse kept telling her it was normal and they did not check for progression.  Well about an hour later she said she thought she had messed herself and we finally got a nurse to come in and when they opened her legs to check, baby came rushing out!  He basically delivered himself. Moral of the story, if you're concerned be adamant and make sure you're heard!
    July Siggy Challenge

BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor also has compared it to your stomach becoming rock hard like a bowling ball, if that helps.  I get them a lot because I have an "irritable uterus." :/  They also recommend that when you lie down to rest with them that you lie down on your left side.  Not sure what's magical about left, but, that's what they say. :)
    Left side is magical because if you lay on your left, you are staying off of the large vein that brings blood and nutrients into the placenta/uterus. It also keeps your belly from pushing down on your liver. :) 
    AHA!  Thank you for solving the left side mystery for me! :)
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • Options
    LadyFleck said:
    stellaluna14 I also get BH when I walk. I try and slow my pace down or just take a break till it goes away. But I've basically stopped with my walks during lunch and exchanged them for naps. But walking does trigger them for me. 
    I wouldn't stop walking altogether if you're experiencing BH, unless your doctor says to or they are really uncomfortable. BH are not bad nor do they mean you're pushing yourself into premature labor. I've been getting them regularly since week 17 (STM) and they vary in strength and intensity, but they are very frequent. Staying active is important for many other reasons while pregnant, so if that's your only reason for scaling back on walking, I'd talk to your doctor to see if that's even necessary. 
    I didn't stop walking because of getting BH. I walk during my lunch break at work but I'm so tired during the day that I just nap instead. Pure tiredness and laziness. I do try and get some walks in during the weekend though. 

• Options
    LadyFleck said:
    I wouldn't stop walking altogether if you're experiencing BH, unless your doctor says to or they are really uncomfortable. BH are not bad nor do they mean you're pushing yourself into premature labor. I've been getting them regularly since week 17 (STM) and they vary in strength and intensity, but they are very frequent. Staying active is important for many other reasons while pregnant, so if that's your only reason for scaling back on walking, I'd talk to your doctor to see if that's even necessary. 
    I didn't stop walking because of getting BH. I walk during my lunch break at work but I'm so tired during the day that I just nap instead. Pure tiredness and laziness. I do try and get some walks in during the weekend though. 
    Haha then by all means, nap away! 
  • Options
    kellz14kellz14 member
    ok so this is not an impending labor symptom - but on the topic of BH - do you sometimes feel them in just one spot in your uterus only?  On and off throughout the day today, I've been getting that clenching feeling and my uterus feels very hard in literally just one spot on my belly to the upper left of my belly button.  I am confusing myself about whether it's the baby sticking a body part out on and off in the same spot or BH.
  • Options
    I've been having a lot of BH too...sometimes I do get 6+ in an hour but not consistently. I'll have a ton of them in an half hour or hour, and then none for a few hours. @kellz14 - mine tends to feel harder on the right side where baby tends to hang out. I imagine that a contraction is like a big hug to baby and I'm just seeing the outline of his/her body on the right side. You might have a body part sticking out on the upper left too?
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    @kellz14 if it moves away while your touching it it's probably a body part, Otherwise it can be BH.
    July Siggy Challenge

BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @kellz14 When only part of my belly gets rock hard that's usually one of the baby's body parts pushing hard against the outside of my uterus. Usually I can push it and it'll move away a bit.

• Options
    SerpicaSerpica member
    Interesting, good graphic... I can fall asleep on my left side... But at some point I wake up feeling like I absolutely need to switch positions. Maybe I could do a minute of stretching inside of rolling over... I also keep waking up on my back in the morning even though I try to avoid that position, it's annoying...