November 2015 Moms
Options

He won't &8#$ eat...

PocoHRPocoHR member
edited May 2016 in November 2015 Moms
Anyone else's baby just have days where they won't really eat? Here its like once per week, he'll have a day or day and a half where he won't eat much of anything. Maybe an ounce of breastmilk at a time, and that's it. I end up having to pump because it hurts and I worry about my supply! There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to these episodes, they always pass and he's growing like a weed, so it doesn't seem to really effect him, its just annoying kind of. I have "feelings" when he constantly rejects the breast all day, I know its illogical and I shouldn't, but I do. 

Re: He won't &8#$ eat...

• Options
    Sometimes my LO won't eat if she's sleepy. So I'll wait until she falls asleep and dream feed her. Will he eat in his sleep?
  • Options
    PocoHRPocoHR member
    Not really, although he will take a little. He will nurse when sleepy for about 5 minutes on days like this, just enough so I dont panic about him being dehydrated but still not a full feed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is it due to being distracted. My DD won't nurse anymore if the tVs, DH and I are talking, the dog walks by etc. 
  • Options
    That was us today and it's not the first time. He does it maybe once every two weeks. I just keep offering from time to time but also trust that he knows what he's doing. Sometimes they will fill up more at night
  • Options
    Mine still does it sometimes, even not distracted. Yesterday she ate 3.5oz with the nanny from 8am to 5:30pm... But then she ate in the evening wellat the breast. Her usual with the nanny is 10/11oz.
  • Options
    rgzrgz member
    I read that sometimes when babies are teething the suction hurts their gums when eating. Perhaps this may be why he's rejecting food? 
  • Options
    PocoHRPocoHR member
    Maybe it is teething. He's not distracted during these episodes, I know what distracted looks like and we deal with that every day, this is an all out refusal of the breast. I can only trick him into eating very little around naps. It just frustrates me because I know he is hungry and he won't nurse, even if I try my different little tricks. 
  • Options
    Will he take a pumped bottle? Jordan will do this but take a bottle. It also happens when she has had ear infections. The sucking hurts her ears.
  • Options
    PocoHRPocoHR member
    He will take a bottle better than the breast, but still only about an ounce at a time (if that). It's just frustrating for me, and I worry about him. He seems to really want water during these times too, if I am drinking a glass of water he fussed until I give him a sip, so I know he is thirsty, poor little man. He just doesn't really want milk for whatever reason :(
  • Options
    liba526liba526 member
     Sorry to hear that:( my LO only did that when he was really sick ( fever,congested) and when he got hurt ( burnt his finger poor guy).  Maybe he's teething? Is he taking solids?
  • Options
    Maybe a nursing strike..? Ds for about a month every few days he would do what Is described. I would just strip down to a bra and have him skin to skin and usually he would eat more then.
  • Options
    Maybe you could try taking a warm bath with him and nursing in the bath. The skin to skin could help and the warm water will activate let down for him.
  • Options
    Oh yes mine gets cranky if she does not have instantaneous let down. Nothing changed in my breasts though, I am actually producing more than ever. We had a rough few days. But this week is much better, she is more patient I think. She also started eating 4.5oz bottles with the nanny when before she would eat on or 2 ounces at a time.
  • Options
    smnewbysmnewby member
    My mom said she let me sip milk out of a cup while teething. Maybe try that?
  • Options
    PocoHRPocoHR member
    Thanks so much everyone, I always forget about skin to skin and it does help! I fed him without a shirt yesterday afternoon/evening and he at least stopped acting like I was trying to poison him. He ate more normally finally this morning. I think I am going to ask the doctor about it though because its a regular occurrence and it seems to also make him constipated when he does this. He was going just fine, then he had this non-eating spell, and he's pooping pellets this morning, I think he is actually getting dehydrated. He does take solids, and sometimes I wonder if he is trying to self wean really early (he does lots of things early, which is the only reason I suspect this). He really rejects the breast but will eat food no problem. I don't give him extra solids because I want him to still nurse, but its pretty clear that he would rather eat real food...sigh. I don't know, but I hope we are on the other side of this episode at least!