Infertility

Can PIO cause a fever?

i started taking progesterone in oil Tuesday and ever since then everyday about 6 hours after I take it I start to get chills and get a fever. It's usually around 100-101. Is this normal?

Re: Can PIO cause a fever?

• vssbrmvssbrm member
    Not a side effect for me, I just gave nice big itchy welts. I think you should call your doc about this one before you do your next shot.
    Married May 2009, TTC since November 2012 (Together since 2006 ish - had my eyes on him since 2001)
    Me: 32 (33 in May), Him: 37 (January)

DX: Me: High Prolactin, Possible Autoimmune Disease Issues, though RE not concerned (?)  New RE has a plan!!
           Him: Minor Varicocele, low morphology, slightly low count

History:

Beta 5/9/2016 BFP!!
    Embryo transfer scheduled for April 28, 2016 and beta test May 9, 2016 (day after Mother's Day!)
    Transfer Meds include: Lupron Depot (4/1), Minivelle Patch (every 3rd day), Estradiol (3x daily), Amoxicillin, Progesterone in Oil, Methylprednisonlone. Lovenox and baby asprin added after transfer. 

3/22/16 - Sono Saline ultrasound cyst to be aspirated on 4/1/16 if not cleared up by 3/29 US - It cleared on its own
    Retrieval 3/4/16 - 26 eggs retrieved, 23 mature, 20 fertilized, 14 embryos currently frozen
    Starting IVF Stims on +/- Feb 22, 2016
    HSG scheduled for 1-26-16 - All clear "beautiful uterus" (though inverted)

Switched clinics and now prepping for IVF in February / March

Fourth IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - December, 2015 - BFN
    Third IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - November, 2015 - BFN
    Second IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - September, 2015 - BFN
    Started Prolactin Medication October 15 - Levels quickly regulated to with in normal range
    First IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - August, 2015 - BFN
    After no BFPs (ever) First RE/Urologist visit in Feb 2015
    HSG w/ OB, 2014 = all clear
    Trying to conceive since November 2012
  • @vssbrm I also had nice big itchy bumps as well. I bleed also and some oil comes out since I take 2ccs. I'm not sure about the fever though 
  • Loading the player...
  • vssbrmvssbrm member
    @ultratomato it leaks now for me as well. We do 2cc too. I keep telling my husband my cheeks are full, with the leaking I am starting to think I was actually not wrong. 
    Married May 2009, TTC since November 2012 (Together since 2006 ish - had my eyes on him since 2001)
    Me: 32 (33 in May), Him: 37 (January)

DX: Me: High Prolactin, Possible Autoimmune Disease Issues, though RE not concerned (?)  New RE has a plan!!
           Him: Minor Varicocele, low morphology, slightly low count

History:

Beta 5/9/2016 BFP!!
    Embryo transfer scheduled for April 28, 2016 and beta test May 9, 2016 (day after Mother's Day!)
    Transfer Meds include: Lupron Depot (4/1), Minivelle Patch (every 3rd day), Estradiol (3x daily), Amoxicillin, Progesterone in Oil, Methylprednisonlone. Lovenox and baby asprin added after transfer. 

3/22/16 - Sono Saline ultrasound cyst to be aspirated on 4/1/16 if not cleared up by 3/29 US - It cleared on its own
    Retrieval 3/4/16 - 26 eggs retrieved, 23 mature, 20 fertilized, 14 embryos currently frozen
    Starting IVF Stims on +/- Feb 22, 2016
    HSG scheduled for 1-26-16 - All clear "beautiful uterus" (though inverted)

Switched clinics and now prepping for IVF in February / March

Fourth IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - December, 2015 - BFN
    Third IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - November, 2015 - BFN
    Second IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - September, 2015 - BFN
    Started Prolactin Medication October 15 - Levels quickly regulated to with in normal range
    First IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - August, 2015 - BFN
    After no BFPs (ever) First RE/Urologist visit in Feb 2015
    HSG w/ OB, 2014 = all clear
    Trying to conceive since November 2012
  • **trigger warning -pregnancy mentioned **

I ran a fever a couple times from progesterone - but the pill suppository form . I also ran a low grade fever from PIO but it was also right before my BFP so it could have been from pregnancy ? My temps were lower though .. Low and high 99s . I asked my nurse and she said to call if it got to 102 or above . I would recommend calling your doc or nurse line just to let them know you are experiencing that . They will prob just reassure you but always good to check ! 

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • lizmb-2lizmb-2 member
    Thanks y'all! They switched me to a new kind without sesame oil in case I'm allergic to it but I'm not sure it helped too much. All though so far this morning I don't have as bad of a fever. I think it just might be my body getting used to the progesterone. Honestly, whatever it takes to get these little embies to stick I'll do or go through :smile: 
  • Hi, I am running the same exact symptoms from PIO in sesame oil, every day same exact time! Fever, chills and sever injection site’s pain!
    What type of different PIO did you try and did it help you at all? Please read and respond to my comment! I have a FET scheduled on Monday and I am so scared
  • :( i know this is a really old post, but i am feeling these exact same symptoms. my injection site is swollen, red, and warm. and ~5-6 hours my shot, i get a 99-101 fever like CLOCKwork. this started as soon as i started my PIO 6 days ago. I had my FET yesterday, so im more cautious / concerned about this fever. did any of you figure it out? any success stories?
  • Hi! Any updates from you recent transfer? 
  • Please let me know what was the outcome from reaction to PIO. My clinic switched me to Progesterone in Ethyl olate but i am still some how reacting to it but not as bad. 
    I hope you see my message and reply to me
  • ttc3yttc3y member
    edited July 2022
    @allooooo7 I was switched over from sesame oil to Ethyl Oleate too due to severe muscle spasms. I did better with injecting less volume (from 2mL to 1 mL) and I was in less pain. I did not experience fever or chills with either oils, so I cannot speak to that. But I hope the change is an overall improvement for you. I also got my fertility doctor to change progesterone shots to every other day and just do an extra vaginal suppository in the evenings instead on the days we don’t do the shot. That helped as well. Best wishes on your fertility journey. ❤️
  • I know this is from last year but I have the same fever you guys are talking about. Switched oils but still so hot at night and in a lot of pain from shots. High white blood cells says I am fighting an infection so most likely going to take an antibiotic. Curious what everyone did in this situation? I can’t continue ivf with a fever every other night…not healthy for me and the embryo. Positive test from transfer.
  • melbee22melbee22 Just Joined
    edited October 2023
    I'm experiencing the same thing - daily fevers that spike around 100-101, usually with dizziness and some chills. I had the same reaction with both ethyloleate and sesame seed oil. What did others do to resolve this? I'm 15dpt, and I'm so nervous these fevers are hurting the little one.

@kylie220 can I ask, did you have success with doing vaginal progesterone every other day?

and @kylie220 can I ask what made them test your white blood cell count? And was the "infection" the progesterone, or something else going on? I'd love to hear how this resolved for you!

Praying you all had the best of outcomes.
  • Hi! I am having the exact same symptoms—fever and chills exactly 6 hours post shot—and no one (including my doctor) has heard of them, so finding this thread makes me feel a little less crazy!

They switched me to the other oil as well thinking it was a sesame oil allergy, but it didn’t make any difference. Some days are a little better then others, but I can’t figure out why. I’m taking Tylenol, but anxious about how this might be affecting the newly transferred embryo.

Like the previous poster said, any info about how things went for people or how they supported themselves during these symptoms would be incredibly appreciated!

Thanks and wishing everyone well on their fertility journey!
  • Hi! This is the 1st place that I found other people who are getting fever from the PIO injection!
    I feel like I can’t handle this anymore. Every night I burn up with fever ranging from 99.8 - 101. And, the injection sight is so sore and swollen and I can’t walk or sit or lay down.
    Thank god my embryo stuck and we got a positive pregnancy test last week Wednesday, however I don’t know how much longer my body can handle this insanity .
    I do vaginal progesterone 3 times a day as well…
    My doctor never heard of this sort of symptom.
    I’m so anxious about my pregnancy and this fever is making it more stressful
    Any advice ?