Multiples
Options

Breastfeeding questions (tandem feeding, etc)

My twins are only 1 1/2 weeks old (born full term).  I am hoping to exclusively breastfeed if possible.  I know that feeding them at the same time would save so much time but it's just so awkward.  When were you able to tandem breastfeed?  Did it not work great until they were older?   I have the twin My Brest Friend pillow but it sounds like many recommend the Twin Z.  I've been having some back pain (from awkward nursing positions) so I've been trying to improve that.  One of my twins is a fussy, stubborn nurser so he also makes tandem nursing more difficult.  It's literally a full time job to nurse twins right now (back to back)!  Thanks for the vent.  :)   

Re: Breastfeeding questions (tandem feeding, etc)

• Options
    I actually have both of those pillows. To my surprise, I thought the twin z was too bulky for nursing. It was prefect for bottle feeding for my dh. I have always and still use the my brest friend pillow. I have tandem fed my girls since they were born. I started in the hospital and have done it ever since. My girls will be a year old in about 3 weeks. 
    I guess this is what I've done. I have my rock n plays right by my chair. I set the girls in there, got set up with my pillow, and then gently grabbed one of them. I put the first baby on the far side on my boppy, then grabbed the second baby and put her on the pillow too. Then I would latch my better eater first. Once she was on and eating, I latched my more fussy eater. I have them both in the football hold, so they're heads are together. They actually love holding hands while they eat. 
    It does get easier the older they get. They learn the routine and can sit up so you can grab them easier. But to me, you've got to start now. If they get used to always eating separate, it might be harder to transition later. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    If you feel ready and want to give it a go, I'd say do it! Initially I needed help to get them positioned. I used a Brest friend pillow with some towels or burp cloths to prop them or keep them in position etc. I started when my milk came in with help but after about a week I could do it on my own. My biggest bit of advice would be to find an LC with experience with twins that you trust. Mine has been an absolute life saver! If you're unable to tandem, don't worry
    Expecting Double Trouble, April 2016

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did it 4-5 times in the hospital and twice at home now. I've just got regular boppies and pillows. I have to have my husband help because Sam is a stinker. He likes to arch back and randomly just let go. 
  • Options
    We used the Twin-z pillow for tandem feeding and it worked just fine; however, my twins just didn't cooperate and even BFING solo they didn't do well. It was killer for me because they were nursing like Champs when we went home from the nicu and everyone said it would only get easier at home and they would only get better at it (they get worse every day).

But having moved to EPing, the twinz is great for tandem bottle feeding. I sit in a reclining love seat and drape a blanket over the pillow (so any spit up or pu gets on the blanket, not the twinz cover.