January 2016 Moms

explaining BFing ?

A little back story: now that I'm back to work and providing pumped bottles I'm worried about keeping up with demand. I'm gone for about 12 hours a day and LO has between 4-5 4oz bottles during that time. I'm able to pump before I leave for work and 3x while I am there but MIL has been dipping in to my stash when she gives the 5th bottle. Sometimes I'll pump in the evening after LO is asleep to make up the 5th bottle but I rarely get the 4oz I need. 
I was somewhat venting my concerns about making enough milk to my boss who never had any interest in BF and went to formula straight away. She has started trying to talk me into switching to formula because it would be easier on me. While I respect her opinion and think it's great that different moms make different choices, I don't know how to explain to her why it is so important to me to keep BF without it coming across as an insult to her parenting choices. Anyone going thru something similar and or have any advice? 
Me: 30 DH: 31
Married: 2012
BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed

Re: explaining BFing ?

• In my case, I just had to let it go in one ear and out the other. My MIL and her mother (grandmother in law) had no desire to BF and didn't really understand why I would want to. In the beginning they were always wanting me to give DD water and now they are on a kick of wanting to give her rice cereal (she's 3 months and no where near ready for solid food yet). I just keep telling them my plan (even though it's exhausting having to explain over and over again), but I just don't think they will ever understand. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • sunnydlightsunnydlight member
    edited May 2016
    Do you pump in the middle of the night? Most get the largest amount when they pump between 1am and 7 am.
    I pump at 12 and then 4 am and seem to end up with an extra bottle about every other day to add to the freezer. LO eats 5 bottles with 4 ozs each in the 10 hours I'm at work. Pretty sure I have psychosis at this point though.
    You can talk to an LC about ways to up supply or pump more efficiently so you get enough. That's what they're for.
  • @Mamabeagledon't think not bringing it up will help because we share an office so sometimes when I leave to pump she makes a comment like "that's why I didn't even bother". 
    @sunnydlight I haven't started pumping in the MOTN yet but that's because LO is still waking to feed at about 2 and then I pump at 4 before leaving for work at 5. Once she starts sleeping thru I will probably try to add another session. I power pump on days I work from home and have taken most forms of fenugreek (tea, capsule, mrs Patel bars) which helps but seems to make LO gassy. 
    @ashleyandjody you are probably right. :( 
    thanks ladies for the input. 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Ask her to respect your decision
  • Tell your boss that if she gave you a raise you might be able to afford formula. Breastmilk is free.
  • Breast milk is only kind of free. When you don't take into account the ravenous appetite of a nursing mother
  • Have you tired massage and compressions while pumping? Also I find the more I can relax the better my output which considering your work situation maybe that's an issue? As far as explaining yourself I'd make up something like pediatrician is really pushing it because LO has sensitive stomach or whatever. Yes it's lying and you should in no way have to but if you can give her something that's harder to argue with and just get left alone about it it may be worth it.
  • @MamaGooGoo I have to quote another Jan 16 mom in regards to you saying breastmilk is free: "Breastfeeding is only free and easy if women's time and desires are worth nothing." (Credit to @klbh ). That is what I remind myself on my hardest BF days... 

OP I'm struggling with supply now I'm back at work too. It's mostly important to me to keep BF right now so that I feel closer to my LO. When I get home she is so happy to nurse. When I'm at work I know that she is thinking about me (however babies do) because she has my milk and that only comes from me. Again it's just what I need to do. I don't think moms choosing to FF don't need to feel close to their LO while away but it is what I need emotionally. That's what I tell people when they ask about formula.