January 2016 Moms
Options

ISR Swim Lessons experience?

Does anyone have experience with ISR swim lessons? It's basically the survival lessons that would teach baby to flip over, float and cry if they were ever in water unexpectedly. I have Graham slated to attend these lessons as soon as he turns 6 months, but wondering if anyone has done these in the past? If so what was your experience? I've heard they're really hard to watch for the parents.... Is anyone planning on doing these? 

Re: ISR Swim Lessons experience?

• Options
    livinslivins member
    I'm planning on doing this as well. My parents have a pool that we spend every weekend at in the summer so I want her to have this skill even if she can't do it for this pool season.  We're also going to do swim lessons but I think I'm going to do isr first. I didn't even think of how hard it will be to watch but luckily it's only ten minutes at a time. 
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    I'd be never heard of these lessons before, but they sound really helpful.  My parents have a pool and I hope to spend a lot of time there this summer.  I'd also be interested in hearing about people's experiences with it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We don't have easy access to a pool, so we will likely wait and do traditional lessons once she's older.
  • Options
    Ljohn43Ljohn43 member
    Yeah I probably wouldn't be doing them so soon if we didn't have a pool that I'm worried about. We are also going to get a katch-a-kid net or fence installed right before he gets mobile. The pool seemed like a great idea before Graham, now I'm terrified of it. I know we'll end up enjoying it, just want to do everything I can to make it safe. 
  • Options
    www.infantswim.com
    This is the site I found when I Googled. I think that's an awesome idea! I had no idea they had these kind of classes!
  • Options
    Hi all!  I'm reviving this thread in the hopes that some of you can share your experiences since your LOs may have already done the lessons.  W starts her lessons today; I'm at work, but my husband is home with her. How did they go for the rest of you? I was up all night worried!
  • Options
    Luke just had his first lesson today! He definitely wasn't happy about being handed off to someone new, we figured that would happen though. I don't think the water bothered him so much as the hand off. The lesson was short, only 10-15 min. He goes three times a week until he passes a float test - they throw him in wearing regular clothes and he has to flip over and float. They say this usually takes about 16 lessons to achieve. We were at our neighbors pool yesterday, and he is so fearless, he just steps off the ledge in the pool so he definitely needs to learn what to do in the water. Hope your LO does well!
  • Options
    @SDaniels19 thanks!  Apparently W didn't cry at all the first day, but that was sort of a "getting to know you day" so it wasn't traumatizing.  Day two, on the other hand, was a different story!  She cried the whole time (I was there for that lesson) but she did great!  Held her breath underwater and kicked like a champ.  I'm so glad we're doing this but the lessons are certainly not for the faint of heart.