Multiples

How did you have the energy for labor& delivery?

Sorry, another question. I am really struggling this week, 34 wks on sunday. I am so exhausted despite doing almost nothing - on bedrest, doing the bare minimum with my toddler, etc. i honestly cant imagine how i am going to have the energy to go through labor & delivery (babies are head down) if this is how i feel at the start. Would love to hear from other twin moms, especially those who were on bedrest before labor, about how their labor went or if they ended up with a csection. I am really hoping my adrenaline takes over and gets me through and i do remember the immediate relief after giving birth the first time. I just didnt feel this bad before my first labor.

Sorry to be negative, just having a really hard time this week. Thanks in advance for any responses!  

Re: How did you have the energy for labor& delivery?

• Also, my next doc appt is wednesday so i will of course talk to her about it, but just wanted to see if others could share their experiences. Thanks! 
  • vibarra27vibarra27 member
    edited May 2016
    To be honest it all depends on you & your labor. I was on bed rest in the hostpital for almost a month. My water broke @ 30 weeks & i had my boys @ 33 & 5.

I went into labor on my own @ 1am & didnt have them until 1045 & 1050pm. Yes almost a whole day :expressionless: i had to get the epidural(i didnt want it) just in case of an emergency c-section. In all honesty thats the only way i was able to have the little energy i had left in me when it was time to push. Im not trying to scare you i swear. It took me maybe 2 minutes to push twin A out & like 1 with twin B. For the most part for me what exhuasted me was the waiting those 22 hours were LONG. Its only natural to feel this way i felt that way too.
  • Loading the player...
  • You can absolutely do it. It was by far the most exhausting experience ever but your body does what it needs to do. 

I had a 22hr induction and delivered both babies vaginally, 30 minutes apart. If you choose, I recommend getting an epidural just to rest a bit through labour - although I wasn't able to rest due to severe reflux and the epidural not being 100% effective. I had the shakes very badly and developed a random fever and racing heart rate following labour. I think it was just all the adrenaline but it passed and we were all discharged from the hospital a day later.
  • Yep, you can do it!  Adrenaline will kick in.  I very recently went through it (my twins were born May 1st!).

I wasn't on bedrest before hand but I was still getting around pretty slow for several weeks.  I was induced at 38 weeks and the induction process was kind of annoying because I'm not used to being stuck in bed (I was induced before w/my first child and was allowed to walk around periodically).  Somehow the time went by fairly fast.  Pitocin was started a little before 10am and I was in the OR ready to deliver around 9:30.  I still had to push several times but baby A was born (10pm).  I remember thinking:  Oh my gosh, I have to push another baby out!  But I did it.  I actually HAD to give it my all or else I was about to have a C-Section for Baby B.  Baby B was breech and they were able to get him turned to head down.  Then his heart rate plummeted and they prepped for a C-section.  Luckily his heart rate went back to normal and I was allowed to try to pushing one more time.  You will be able to do it!  My nurse was an amazing coach (slash drill sergeant).  ;)

Now that I'm not pregnant I'm surprised at how much better I feel just moving around the house.  I delivered two 7 lb babies - that's a lot less weight to lug around!! 

GL to you!