August 2016 Moms

online registry with Amazon or Babylist?

Hi wise mommas!  As a STM, I don't need many big-ticket items, but I've made a list for the smaller things I need in a different gender, pacis/ bottle parts, and some duplicates since DD will be under 2 when baby arrives.  Some friends have generously offered to host a sprinkle for me and have asked for registry information.  I've started with an Amazon registry, but I also like the flexibility of Babylist.  Amazon is just so easy (and so many people have Prime), but I like how Babylist shows prices at other retailers in case people want to shop in person or use a coupon.  Wondering what your thoughts are on choosing an online registry and preference for either of these two?  

Thank you in advance!

Re: online registry with Amazon or Babylist?

• Katm89Katm89 member
    Amazon has an option to list something they do not sell on your registry with a link of where to buy it.. so in a way it can act as babylist. I saw some people did that on their registry. Not sure how to do it exactly but I'm sure if you email them they would be happy to help!
  • I actually did both. You can merge your Amazon registry with Babylist. They are both pretty similar, but I like how easy it is to sort items on Babylist a little better than Amazon. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I really like how Amazon people can note that they did buy something, even if they bought it elsewhere, and I get a "thank you" card list.

And to get the thank you box for "completing" your registry - you can just click "mark complete" - you don't have to actually add all of the things to your registry.

• Is there a completion discount for amazon? I registered  at target and amazon, but target doesn't carry everything  I plan on ordering after the shower, so if there's a discount I'm not sure how to go about it
  • @Stephanie7693
    Yes! I don't remember what, but a bunch of stuff now says "completion discount eligible." on my registry

• Allisun85 said:

I really like how Amazon people can note that they did buy something, even if they bought it elsewhere, and I get a "thank you" card list.

And to get the thank you box for "completing" your registry - you can just click "mark complete" - you don't have to actually add all of the things to your registry.

When do they send the Thank You Box? I completed my registry about a month ago,I have Prime, and my sister made the first purchase off of it a few days ago, it was actually delivered today. It still says I haven't met the $10 purchase requirement... Do I personally have to order something from the registry to get the Thank you box?
  • I'm an Amazon prime addict but lately, I've started noticing that certain packages we received were returned/used items that had missing parts or scratches (ex: "new" tent that had rips and holes, chipped frying pans, food processor that came  with missing parts).

This made me weary of starting a registry there because I've read some customer reviews on diapers and bottles that state these products are not brand new. Some bottles should've come with extra nipples or something but they didn't. Some looked used. On diapers, I've read reviews where people think these Pampers diapers are actually fake. I just didn't want to chance getting poor quality products and having to return them so I selectively added items on BBB vs. Amazon. 
  • @Stephanie7693
    Yes! I don't remember what, but a bunch of stuff now says "completion discount eligible."

@shanrum3 you have to "order" it. Add it to the cart, and it checks out for 0.00

• Allisun85 said:

@shanrum3 you have to "order" it. Add it to the cart, and it checks out for 0.00

Thanks!  I totally forgot about this and just went in to order!  

I think for the amazon discount to apply, it has to be in the Baby Department and sold by Amazon.com.  Be careful when adding to your registry if you want to use the discount.  I was able to add things to my registry last time right before checking out though. 

• I used Babylist b/c you can pull in from any site, and provide multiple sites that your family and friends can ind the product on so they can get the best price. They don't even have to buy it from one of the sites listed, they can get it somewhere else, come back and just mark that they bought it (requests you put in a confirmation code from the store).  When you have your account opened, you can look at the "reserved" tab and then see who bought you what - so same thing as a thank you box - but you can look at it in live time.  PLUS it lets you link out to other places you might have a registry at that you don't want to pull into the Babylist list.  So ppl can still purchase items from Amazon (I do link to a few on mine), but also do their own research if they want to save money.
  • PeachGal23PeachGal23 member
    edited May 2016
    Thank you all for the insight! I've decided to provide the Babylist registry for the sprinkle, but I also have everything listed on Amazon as well for my own list and completion discount. 

@AliKay20: that is horrible about receiving the returned / used items from Amazon! I've been a prime member for 2 years now, and that's how we purchase all of DD's diapers (always Pampers brand), and we've never had an issue with the diapers.

• I hadn't heard of babylist until recently when a friend was registered there. I found the website clunky and complicated to use-- so I'm sticking with Amazon.

Also-- as an FYI second time mom, I stalked my registry when I was having my first and I was shocked at the number of people who bought gifts the same day as the shower-- so you might want to have a registry at a local place as well as online for people who don't order things in advance. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers