January 2016 Moms

4 month vaccinations

How did they go? Better or worse than last time?

i initially thought we were better than last time since she only cried for 30 seconds instead of 30 minutes..... But 10 hours later she has been in discomfort all day and has her first fever so I am going to say this was worse!!!

Re: 4 month vaccinations

• We have ours next week and I am dreading it as last time was awful. It can only get better right? I'll let you know how it goes...
  • We have ours tomorrow, definitely dreading it. For those of you who saw my post last time about the awful needle mark in her leg, there is STILL a lump there! Mama bear will be having a talk with the nurse before they administer the shots! 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Loading the player...
  • They were definitely worse for us this time than last, both in the actual injection crying but the next 48 hours of fussiness was way worse I actually gave him Tylenol at night bc he was so tearful and fussy. 
  • I gave Tylenol too because of her fever.  I'm at 24 hours now and looks like today is going to be rough too.
  • ekscoppekscopp member
    I'm hoping they won't be as awful as last time bc last time she also had her first cold. That was the most miserable week ever!!
  • Easier she only cried a few secs but was cranky last night took forever to get her to sleep but seems fine today must have been overly tired as she is still sleeping.
  • The actual vaccines weren't too bad. Only two pokes and the oral vaccine. My babe stopped crying pretty fast because he was eating while getting the shots. The day of he slept a lot. Today is day two and he is a bit warm and cranky so we gave him some Tylenol.
  • Griffin had 5, this time.  4 shots and 1 oral.  He was just as sleepy as he was at his 2 month appointment for the next two days.  He bruised from these, and still has a little bump from them and they were done on the 27th.  We just did Tylonol every 4-5 hours the day of, and I gave him a dose in the morning and 1 at night on day 2. 
  • We go next week, but I recall for 2 months shots dr saying no Tylenol after shots? I don't remember why though. 
  • Ours are this afternoon and I'm a bit scared, the first were quite traumatic...  So hard to see baby in pain :(
  • Had our shots Monday and it went so much better this time!!! LO cried when getting them, but was easily soothed. He had a mild fever the next day, but it just made him extra snuggly. It worked out well because the weather was crap yesterday. Yay for rainy day snuggles! 
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    @SuperherosMom maybe you're thinking of no Tylenol before shots. You're not supposed to give Tylenol before the shots because it can decrease the effectiveness of the vaccines :) Tylenol after shots for a fever is ok! (Double check with your ped though I am not a peditrician! Lol) 

we go for them this morning... Not looking forward to it. They went ok last time some fussiness but no fever so hopefully it won't be too much worse this time around! 
  • cali1710cali1710 member
    edited May 2016
    We go tomorrow morning ! Not looking forward to it. She was ok after the last ones. Slept a lot and was fussy for a few days but she cried a horrible cry when she got them. Broke my heart. i don't want her to go through that again but its for her own good. 
  • Little bug got her shots today and she is doing much better than last time. 
  • We got shots yesterday, and have spent today feverish and cranky :(

we are a month delayed on the pentacel vaccine though, I guess there's a statewide shortage in Maine.
  • We had LO's 4 month appointment on Monday, but ended up not getting shots because he has an ear infection. I had no idea! He has had a stuffy, gunky nose, but no other symptoms. I feel so bad! We started meds same day and after 3 doses, we can tell he's doing so much better! Except now he's hoarse from coughing because of his nose draining. 
    We go back on Tuesday to check that the meds are working and to get his shots. Hopefully he does okay!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Do most babies get pentacel or dTap?  I'm in Maine and I never heard of a shortage but I'm pretty sure we only got dTap? @m6tonner
  • Better! She was fussy for 2 days but we made sure to give her Tylenol BEFORE the shots this time. Last time we didn't give her anything and she developed a fever and had to go to the ER. I felt terrible. :(
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Better for us too so far, though baby feels a bit hot today and has been sleeping a ton...  The doctor offered to give baby a bit of sugar water saying it would soothe the pain of the shots.  Not sure if that's what did it but it was definitely less traumatic than last time.  The doctor was a temporary fill in for our regular pediatrician.  I am now tempted to change and go with her for future appointments given most checkups involve shots and the first one was quite traumatizing...
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    Had them yesterday so far today baby boy is a crying cranky mess but nothing too crazy. He's had a low grade temp and whined alot last night but nothing I've had to give Tylenol for yet. 
  • Had ours this morning. She cried but so far shes been normal all day. Sleeping a bit more but her normal bubbly self. But well see what tonight and tomorrow brings
  • cali1710 said:
    Had ours this morning. She cried but so far shes been normal all day. Sleeping a bit more but her normal bubbly self. But well see what tonight and tomorrow brings
    How did last night go, Cali? What was her weight and height percentile? Glad baby is doing well!
  • cali1710cali1710 member
    edited May 2016
    kimber308 said:
    cali1710 said:
    Had ours this morning. She cried but so far shes been normal all day. Sleeping a bit more but her normal bubbly self. But well see what tonight and tomorrow brings
    How did last night go, Cali? What was her weight and height percentile? Glad baby is doing well!
    She was good! Still her normal self. Sadly the last two nights shes been waking up at midnight and not going back down until 3. Wide awake. Chatty and wanting to play. But nothing to do with the shots. I'm so shocked that the shots havent had any affect on her yet. Knock on wood. 

I didnt ask about the percentile but shes right on track for her weight and height for what she should be (shes on target on some curve) 14lb4oz and 25". She gained quite a bit of weight since 3 months because I had upped her formula intake from 4 to 6oz. Her 3 month she only gained 7oz (12lb7oz) so now shes back on track. Has your little one had their shots yet?
  • cali1710 said:
    kimber308 said:
    cali1710 said:
    She was good! Still her normal self. Sadly the last two nights shes been waking up at midnight and not going back down until 3. Wide awake. Chatty and wanting to play. But nothing to do with the shots. I'm so shocked that the shots havent had any effect on her yet. Knock on wood. 

I didnt ask about the percentile but shes right on track for her weight and height for what she should be (shes on target on some curve) 14lb4oz and 25". She gained quite a bit of weight since 3 months because I had upped her formula intake from 4 to 6oz. Her 3 month she only gained 7oz (12lb7oz) so now shes back on track. Has your little one had their shots yet?
    Thanks for sharing!! It sounds like your little one is doing very well! I'm glad to hear the shots didn't affect her. We won't go until the end of the month for her 4 month appt (she'll be almost 5 months), because they were booking out. So I'm in limbo waiting to find out if she's gaining appropriately. She looks normal, but as a first time mom, I don't really know lol! I think my girl is about the same size as yours still, so I like to hear that yours is on track! Happy Friday! :)
  • @kimber308 literally ten minutes after posting my response she turned into the devil child ha. Fussy. Clingy. Wont nap. But I think its less to do with the ahots and more to do with all this 4 month fun. Growth spurt. Mental leap. 
  • @kimber308 it's not the most accurate but I step on the scale without baby and then with baby to see her approximate weight when I'm curious 
  • Both the 2 month and 4 month have been OK with my LO. This last round she got at 3pm and fell asleep at 7pm for 10 HOURS! I was definitely nervous but all was fine.
  • The two month ones were absolutely horrible. Fever for 48 hours and she screamed the whole time. This time was much better! Lower fever for only 24 and she was a champ. 
  • @Blueyedsky glad they went better this time around! I'm pretty sure the 6 month is just one shot so lets hope those go even better!
  • @kimber308 it's not the most accurate but I step on the scale without baby and then with baby to see her approximate weight when I'm curious 
    I do the same!!! :) I keep forgetting. I will do it tonight and measure her for an update. 

I'm sorry your LO is regressing. :( My child is up and down, some days are great and others... yikes! But nighttime sleep is manageable right now. Naps are always changing - Saturday she gave me 3 1/2 hours of naps. Yesterday 1 1/2 (3 half hours naps... yuck). WHO KNOWS?!?!?
  • They were way worse than 2 month for DD, today has been awful and she just looks pitiful in between crying spells. I had to go to work for a few hours after her appointment and the daycare called me because she was barely eating from her bottles. She is thankfully breastfeeding fine. Poor snuggle bug :(