May 2016 Moms
Options

Attempting an ECV, anyone else?

We just decided today to do an ECV early next week to try and turn my oblique baby (diagonal lie). I'll be 39 weeks at that point so we can induce right after if successful to minimize the risk of her turning back or go for a c-section if it fails. Dr says I have better than 50/50 odds of it working but we shouldn't wait to long to do it based in the risk of cord issues if my water breaks in her current position. I'm not worried about the induction part at all (I've had 2 already). It's the c-section with 2 kids at home and the actual ECV discomfort that I'm more worried about. 

Anyone else in the same boat or have had an ECV in the past? Would love to hear the experience of anyone else who's been through this. 

Re: Attempting an ECV, anyone else?

• Options
    svt123svt123 member
    Hi there,
    i actually just had an ECV about a week ago at 37 1/2 weeks with a frank breech baby. To be completely honest it was very painful for me. They didn't offer me an epidural and I wouldn't do it again unless I had an epidural because it was so intense.  My baby's butt is pretty settled in my pelvis so they had to really dig in there to get him out. They were able to turn him transverse, but he didn't want to turn anymore than that, so they stopped. The doctor mentioned I have an anterior placenta which he said could make it more difficult for him to turn for some reason. I'd read online from other women that it didn't hurt so badly, and their babies turned easily, so I guess it's just different for everybody.  I would say give it a try, and tell the doctor to stop if it becomes too painful. I hope this helps!  Good luck!  
  • Options
    I think there must be a ton of difference from person to person, because I know plenty of people who have had to have an epidural in order to manage how painful their ECV was, but my little sister had one a few months ago and said it was somewhere between a rough cervical check and early labor in terms of pain. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My sister had one. It was successful. She refers to it as "an experience," that she would do again if necessary despite the discomfort (only one side of her was numb). Her doctor required an epi in case of failure/distress and emergency c section. Perhaps a way to think of it is whether you're open to the potential discomfort in comparison to a major surgery, since you might avoid a major surgery! Good luck to you :)
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Options
    slfezzslfezz member
    Thanks for the replies and good wishes. I'm hoping I'll be one of the luckier ones with the pain level since LO isn't engaged at all and, since its my 3rd pregnancy, everything is loose. It may be really painful for a short while but if I don't try it, I know I would regret it since I really don't want a c-section if it can be safely avoided (I've had abdominal surgeries in the past and know how painful that recovery was and have a large scar I'm self-conscience about)
  • Options
    js8812js8812 member
    No experience, but I just wanted to wish you good luck.  My baby was transverse, but flipped.  If he hadn't I would have done an ECV. 
  • Options
    No experience, but wishing you the best of luck! Turn baby!!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• Options
    Keep us posted...I'm anxious to hear what happens because I may have to get this as well.
  • Options
    TinaThoTinaTho member
    Good luck! 

FTM and just got told today that I wasn't a good candidate for a version, but otherwise I'd be going for it.
  • Options
    I'm going to maternal fetal medicine tomorrow to see if an evc would work for me. I'm not sold on it, my baby is transverse...so we will see what they say!

If I do have it I would be induced next week due to size. I would much rather be induced then have a c-section. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm scheduled for one next Wednesday. I don't really know what to think. The doctors & midwives at the hospital were very reassuring so I'm giving it a try. I'll be just shy of 37 weeks and she's measuring small so they say I'm a good candidate. FX!
  • Options
    So glad to hear it! Thanks for the update! Good luck!
  • Options
    I had my ECV today. What an intense experience. We tried twice in one direction & 3rd time was a charm in the opposite direction. My husband coached her the whole way following her head & talking to her. It was extremely uncomfortable, not painful, just wow, intense. I'm 37 weeks tomorrow & doctors said no turning back so I'm trusting them. Whew! What a day!!
  • Options
    TinaThoTinaTho member
    @linabparis  Congrats! It's great that it worked on LO. 

• Options
    oh great to hear!!! I think I'm having one next Monday...