January 2016 Moms
Options

Convertible Woombie

BelleZBooBelleZBoo member
edited May 2016 in January 2016 Moms
My LO sleeps in a Woombie convertible with his arms out (picture attached). He just rolled for the first time, belly to back, a few
days ago. He is pretty close with back to belly too.  My question is, do I need to stop using the Woombie for night (I know traditional swaddling is a no-go when they can roll) or is it okay since his arms are out? 

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm a FTM who is very anxious about safety but also loving how well he sleeps! 

Re: Convertible Woombie

• Options
    Ljohn43Ljohn43 member
    I was wondering this as well. So far my son can go belly to back easily but has no interest in back to belly. But I know it's only a matter of time. Hopefully someone has an answer! 
  • Options
    denaebdenaeb member
    I kept my DD1 in a cocoon type sleep sack or swaddle wrap (arms in) until she was 9 months old and she could roll freely. At 9 months we put her in a looser sleep sack (arms out) and she slept in that until she was about 18 months. She was always able to move around as much as she needed and never got stuck in positions she couldn't get out of. 
    LO is able to roll back to belly but doesn't. I have her in the woombie (arms out) and I'm sure that if she did roll she could get herself back over or would at least let us know she wanted to be moved.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So we are at 4 months and we're doing halo swaddle sleep sack with arms out. We had our 4 month appointment today so I asked the doctor assuming he would say no problem .... Well instead he said no good.  He told us we shouldn't be using anything that restricts baby's body/natural movement.  So I was going to go cold turkey to sleep sack tonight but she has a fever and is miserable from her shots so I'm giving her one last night. 
  • Options
    Ljohn43Ljohn43 member
    Is this advice from your dr specific to only after the baby can roll? Or just no sleep sack should be used regardless of rolling ability? @ChrissyD1203
  • Options
    @Ljohn43  I'm not 100% sure but I think he meant it for both because my baby can't fully roll over yet and he knew that and told me to stop using it now.  But he is just one doctor so I'm curious to see if others got the same advice from their doctor.... I tried to not use it again tonight but she wouldn't sleep and since she is still sick from her shots, I put her in it again.

Also, I find his advice a little weird because Halo specifically designed these sleep sacks for kids her age and older for the purposes of promoting safe sleep ... 
  • Options
    Ljohn43Ljohn43 member
    Yeah I'm a little confused on his advice too bc I've heard nothing but "you should swaddle baby" from pretty much everyone else. A sleep sack is even less restrictive than swaddling so I'm not sure I understand why that would be bad. I will ask my dr next time I go too to see what she thinks about them.