November 2016 Moms

Zofran

I've been diagnosed with hyperemesis Gravidarum. Awful vomiting and nausea. I've had fluids twice. Now on diclegis at night and zofran every 8 hours. Worried about the effects of zofran. Any momma's have REASSURANCE from past experience?

Re: Zofran

• I took it last baby and this baby. I had no other choice. Its a Class B substance whereas other options were class C for me. It was the only thing that got me through the first 10 weeks, I've been off almost 2 weeks now, I'm hoping your symptoms improve darlin'.

For me, the lawsuits showing cleft palate and all that, it appeared to me more correlation than causation to me. I spoke to 3 different OBs in the practice I go to and multiple nurses, 4 OBs in the last practice I was at with DS. 

If the alternative was malnutrition, exhaustion, dehydration and being absolutely miserable morning until night and then some? To me it was worth the risk for unproven statistics. 
  • I took Zofran with my first pregnancy from about 9-12 weeks. She's fine. I just didn't think it helped and led to other digestive issues (severe constipation). I find Diclegis is much more helpful this time around day and night. Hope you feel better soon!! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm on it now so I can't really tell you how it turned out, but just wanting to give you a hug and support. Hyperemesis Gravidarum is miserable!!! 
  • It took zofran with our last two boys and they are fine. I have a new OB and she didn't prescribe it to me for this one. 
  • Zofran saved my freaking life in my earlier weeks of this pregnancy. It also made me not GO for five days though so get some benefiber and miralax, drink lots of water, drink some coffee (that's what finally helped me). I was on that which is a class B and I'm on a class C for my depression so I'm hoping everything is all good. 
    Grayson Matthew Due 11/4/16
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• I had Zofran with my last child and he is perfectly normal. He's a little small for his age but that's more a result of other things. As far as all his vital organs and intelligence etc... though he's right up where he should be. 

I didn't have a lot of luck with Zofran actually working though. 

My suggestion and opinion would be if you are battling like serious hyperemesis and it HELPS take it. If you just have a bit of nausea deal with the nausea and pass on it and stick with the diclegis. Diclegis although now with a new name is basically just Bendectin it's probably the most studied pregnancy nausea thing in existence if you look at the full history. They say it's new but it really isn't lol. If the zofran isn't helping and you are battling with bad hg ask for more help you can also try Reglan and Phenergan etc...