Infertility
Options

How soon after to try again?

Just finished an unsuccessful fresh ivf cycle with no frozen embies. I'm a little nervous to start over again right away. After my egg retrieval I was very crampy and in some pain. Have any of you ladies done two ivf cycles back to back with success?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How soon after to try again?

• Options
    I can't give you a success story (yet!), but we just got our PGS results back Wednesday and our one embryo was abnormal. As soon as AF arrives we're starting the next round. I feel like the clock is ticking, so I had it set up before we got the genetics testing results back. Good luck in whichever you choose!
  • Options
    Kp214Kp214 member
    I know it seems like the most pressing thing to start again, to keep going down this path; however, I would only recommend you listen to your body and evaluate how you (and DH) feel mentally and emotionally.  Whatever you decide will be the right choice for you.  Good luck!  
    Me:32 DH:36
    Me: DOR, poor egg quality, MTHFR
    DH: MFI
    TTC since 3/2014
    2015: 3 IUI's-BFN
    12/2015: 1st IVF cycle-(9 follicles retrieved, 5 mature, 3 fertilized w/ICSI, transferred 1 excellent and 1 good embryo on day 3)-chemical pregnancy
    3/2016: 2nd IVF cycle- canceled (3 follicles retrieved, 3 mature, all fertilized w/ICSI, 1 fragmented, 2 arrested) 
    3/2016: RE suggested donor eggs- taking an ivf break and to supplement 
    9/2016: 3rd ivf cycle-cancelled due to early ovulation
    Oct./Nov 2016: 4th ivf cycle- EPP-AFC:5, retrieved 10, 10 mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI, 6 blastocysts biopsied and frozen. 3 CCS normal embryos
    1/9/17: transferred 1 embryo-BFP 1/16
    1/18/17: beta #1-104
    1/20/17: beta #2-174
    2/2/17: first u/s, heartbeat of 107 at 6w1d
    7/20/17: baby boy born at 30+3 via emergency c-section 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Kp214 you make an excellent point. I didn't respond all that well to my meds, so I was far from overstimulated. I was a little bloated and crampy, but nothing that kept me from wanting to jump back in right away. @Rias if your body is telling you to take a month off (or more) you should listen!
  • Options
    RiasRias member
    Thanks ladies. I have a daughter who will be turning four this summer and all I want is to give her a sibling. I always had this idea in my head that my kids were going to be close in age and when this last ivf failed DH and I were really shocked. I'm always grateful and feel so blessed to have her, as I know some are struggling to even have one child. This ivf roller coaster is just too much emotionally. We're meeting with my RE in a week or so and will make a decision by then. It's just so scary going back down this road and not knowing if it will work. 
  • Options
    @rias I don't really have any advice, as I'm just about to start my first round of IVF, but I just wanted to say good luck with your decision. Also, as you said you are very blessed to already have one child already, but don't ever feel like you are not justified in your hurt or frustration in trying tor #2 for that reason! It's such a hard process no matter the situation. Good luck with everything!
    Me: 29 DH: 28
    Together since 2008, married Sept 2013
    ttc #1 since July 2014
    DX: unexplained infertility
    Sept, Oct, Nov Clomid 50 mg: BFN
    Feb 2016 IUI w/ 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel, Prometrium: BFN
    March 2016 IUI w/ 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel, Prometrium: BFN
    June 2016 IVF: BFP 6/28!!! beta #1: 358, beta #2: 1428, beta #3: 3742

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @rias first I am sorry about your failed cycle, having been there (sadly twice!) I know how hard it can be. I think you will know what is best for you, but will tell you my experience. I had my first ER in September and then the next early December, part was because I did't want to wait, part was due to insurance and the fact that after January we would have to start over with $1500 deductable. I really wish I would have given my body more chance to recover and respond to the new meds and supplements I was started on....sometimes we get so anxious about waiting we forget we want success and should do the best to achieve that. Wishing you the best with your next cycle!!!
    ******TW*****
    Me 39 DH44
    Married 8/2/14
    TTC 9/14
    Dx: PCOS, blocked L fallopian tube, suspect poor egg quality
    MFI (low #, poor morphology)
    IVF #1 9/15 Failed
    IVF #2 12/15 Failed
    1st DE FET  5/16-BFN :(
    2nd DE FET 7/18-BFP :)
    8/17 Baby HR 140/min EDD 4/6/17
  • Options
    We waited/waiting (we are doing a transfer this month) 2 cycles to let my body get it's self back in order. I think I needed the grieving time too. It would have been too much for me to jump back in right away, although there were many days that I wanted to. I think you know your body and what you feel is best. Unless your doctor is strongly advising to wait, why not go for it? I've read on other forums where women have done it. Best of luck hun!
  • Options
    RiasRias member
    Thank you ladies. Good luck to all of you on your journeys!
  • Options
    Rias said:
    Just finished an unsuccessful fresh ivf cycle with no frozen embies. I'm a little nervous to start over again right away. After my egg retrieval I was very crampy and in some pain. Have any of you ladies done two ivf cycles back to back with success?
    Hello, dear Rias! I'm so sorry for your failed round :( But I do think they will investigate some details to make another cycle successful. As for the time you should wait - it really depends on the situation. The first thing is how long it takes your doc to find out the reason. Another point is how quickly your body manages to heal and recover both physically and mentally. In our Biotexcom clinic we have had 3 ivf rounds with de. After 1st failure we had to wait for 1.2 month, another round - just a few weeks. Our final 3rd successful round was performed just back to back so to say. This is probably because my body got well adjust to the meds and did it much quicker.
    In between the cycles I tried to make my body healthier. I tried yoga. I had adequate rest and took some of the supplements. Also healthy eating and more fresh air. I'm sure your experts definitely know what is better for you. So try to keep calm, hun, and follow their advice. Take time to get absolutely ready for the next cycle. May God bless you on this path, Hugs  :*