November 2016 Moms
Options

BTDT: Crib to Bed Transition, Moving

mrs_hoyahoomrs_hoyahoo member
edited April 2016 in November 2016 Moms
In two months we are moving to a new place where my 2.5 yo will get his big boy bunk bed. I'm trying to decide how to handle the transition. Ideally, I'd like to put him straight into the new bed when we move, so his crib can start being for the baby. It also feels like good timing - like he'll think, "oh, in this room, I sleep in this bed, not my crib" so he won't miss his crib as much.

If we do that, should I convert his crib to a toddler bed now so he starts getting used to the idea and learning not to fall? Should I just use a bed rail with the bunk bed at first so it feels more crib-like - or does that create problems later on?

I'm also concerned that new bed+new house+new school might be a lot of transition at one time. So I'm wondering if I should just let him continue sleeping in the crib for a while after we move and deal with the transition in another few months. He's still 100% happy in his crib and doesn't try to climb out, so it's tempting to leave him in there as long as possible.

I'm over-thinking this, I know. But that's what I do. Any other suggestions for helping a little one transition to a new home are welcome too! 

ETA: wow, that turned into a small novel...thanks for reading :)

Kid #1: Two years old
Kid #2: Due Date 11/16/16
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: BTDT: Crib to Bed Transition, Moving

• Options
    We converted the crib to a toddler bed and use a rail since my daughter has a tendency to fall out still without one. She is just now 2.5, but we made the transition at 2. We plan on transitioning her to a new room with a big girl bed soon. Id wait until the move if I were you and just make the new room + bed part of the move. It will be an adjustment no matter what so might as well get it all over with at one time. Id just talk about it before hand and build it up as something exciting to look forward to once you move. Maybe let him help pick out his new sheets and blankets so he is participating in the change. 
  • Options
    Following. This is exactly our situation too. But my son is 2next month. I was planning on moving the crib over and keeping him there for another month or two so he gets used to the new house first. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think an all in one transition is the way to go. That way he has some time between having to transition again to having a younger sibling. I think by building up his excitement and enthusiasm about having a new room and big kid bed might help make it a little easier. And I would definitely put a rail on the bunk bed just for safety reasons and there shouldn't be an issue with removing that once he doesn't need it anymore because he will be older. Hope this helps and good luck :)
  • Options
    We converted the crib to a toddler bed and use a rail since my daughter has a tendency to fall out still without one. She is just now 2.5, but we made the transition at 2. We plan on transitioning her to a new room with a big girl bed soon. Id wait until the move if I were you and just make the new room + bed part of the move. It will be an adjustment no matter what so might as well get it all over with at one time. Id just talk about it before hand and build it up as something exciting to look forward to once you move. Maybe let him help pick out his new sheets and blankets so he is participating in the change. 
    That make sense. Pull the bandaid off at once :) Thanks @squish143 too!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I worried about doing too much at once as well, I wanted to weaned my son AND put him back in his own bed (he was in with us, cosleeping) in his own room.

We just bought him a double bed with a rail and let him loose one night. He slept fully through. My husband and I were amazed that he actually seems to prefer having his own room, his own space. I thought for sure I was looking down a 6 month road of waking multiple times a night to sit in with him, but it's amazingly worked out. He will sometimes wake once and then I crawl in him for a bit (thus buying the double) but he is already 6 weeks later acting like this is his groove. He's 21 months now btw.

If I could suggest anything though, obviously the babycamera but make sure his room  is decently babyproofed and you have him gated in (if that's your thing) because some nights my son will get up silently and there's no way I want him loose in the house without my knowing. I caught him sleepwalking in the hallway when I got up to pee once and that was the end of that. Another morning he woke me in my bed with a pie in his hand, wanting a bite of it. He had climbed the stove, pulled the pie down and brought it into my room.

So all kinds of hijinx will ensue once those bars come down. Good luck Mama!
  • Options
    @HomeyDontPlayThat - Gah, the thought of him wandering around the house in the middle of the night is mildly terrifying. We'll be living in a place with stairs for the first time, so baby gates will be a must! 

I'm LOLing to the pie story though. I'm not sure how I would react waking up to that!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Following. DD is 18 months so we're staring down a big move, a new daycare, potty training, and possible transition to a toddler bed. We're probably scaring her for life.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We bedshare so I'm trying to figure out how to get my 20 month old out of our bed and into his own by then. But for nearly everyone I've heard the crib to bed transition is one of the easiest. Most of my friends have stressed about it for a long while then it was actually nbd.

The one thing to figure out is how to manage them having a lot more freedom suddenly. HOW baby-proof is their room? Do you gate them in there or let them into the rest of the house? The biggest issues seemed to happen later -- popping out of bed to stall going to sleep for a while longer, or wandering the house.

We put a pillow on the floor under DD in case she fell out of bed at first. Once she got used to no longer cosleeping she did fine. It wasn't the bed, it was the lack of companionship that was hard for her.
  • Options
    Following. DD is 18 months so we're staring down a big move, a new daycare, potty training, and possible transition to a toddler bed. We're probably scaring her for life.
    All of this! New city+new house+new school+new bed+new baby over the course of 5 months. Good thing kids are resilient, right?

Thanks @shevaCC - fingers are crossed the new bed is an easy transition for us!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    All of this! New city+new house+new school+new bed+new baby over the course of 5 months. Good thing kids are resilient, right?

Thanks @shevaCC - fingers are crossed the new bed is an easy transition for us!
    Lord, beer us strength.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker