August 2016 Moms

Share a breastfeeding fact you've learned!

2»

Re: Share a breastfeeding fact you've learned!

• This thread has been a great intro for me to start thinking about breastfeeding. I signed up for our class in July and think I'm gonna give it a whirl. I just wanted to say thank you to all the STMs who have taken the time to talk about their experience. It has made it feel a lot more realistic for me. 

On a side note I called my insurance and they do cover a breast pump 100 percent! Yay! Buuuut they won't ship it until after the baby is born. How annoying for a planner like me. 
    Whaaaat??  That is annoying.com.  Mine will ship it two months before my EDD.  Why can't the insurance companies all just get on the same page with everything?! 
    Yeah I'm annoyed. I know your supply doesn't come in for a few weeks or days, but it would be nice to have the time to set it up and read the instructions before I deliver.
    Exactly....and what if you're like me and need it to help stimulate your supply to come in??  I plan on pumping as soon as my opioids wear off when the baby isn't nursing to hopefully avoid what happened last time.  I'm annoyed for you!
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• This thread has been a great intro for me to start thinking about breastfeeding. I signed up for our class in July and think I'm gonna give it a whirl. I just wanted to say thank you to all the STMs who have taken the time to talk about their experience. It has made it feel a lot more realistic for me. 

On a side note I called my insurance and they do cover a breast pump 100 percent! Yay! Buuuut they won't ship it until after the baby is born. How annoying for a planner like me. 
    Whaaaat??  That is annoying.com.  Mine will ship it two months before my EDD.  Why can't the insurance companies all just get on the same page with everything?! 
    Yeah I'm annoyed. I know your supply doesn't come in for a few weeks or days, but it would be nice to have the time to set it up and read the instructions before I deliver.
    Same here!! Mine's BCBS. They said they'll deliver after baby arrives. Meh?
  • Loading the player...
  • @midwestbaby you should be able to use one in the hospital if needed and rent it out until you get one delivered to you. I would talk to the hospital where you are delivering and find out.
  • So annoying about pumps not shipping until the baby is born. I was able to get mine before delivering last time. DS didn't latch well and I had to start pumping the day we got home from the hospital. I guess I could have rented one until insurance mailed mine but I was very glad to have it waiting at home. 
  • Thank you! I had a list going of breastfeeding questions and this thread has answered a lot of them.
  • AliKay20 said:
    This thread has been a great intro for me to start thinking about breastfeeding. I signed up for our class in July and think I'm gonna give it a whirl. I just wanted to say thank you to all the STMs who have taken the time to talk about their experience. It has made it feel a lot more realistic for me. 

Same here!! Mine's BCBS. They said they'll deliver after baby arrives. Meh?
    Wow that is terrible!  Ours is within a week of your due date which still means it could be after baby is born for some people.  

• I 100% preferred the MyBrestFriend pillow over the boppy.  I need to have a really straight back and hold baby up high for nursing (I have a long torso).  The strap that keeps it on was great! 

• I 100% preferred the MyBrestFriend pillow over the boppy.  I need to have a really straight back and hold baby up high for nursing (I have a long torso).  The strap that keeps it on was great! 
    110% AGREE!!  It's much more supportive than the Boppy and easier to position baby and not have baby move and shift.  I switched to the boppy around 6 or 7 mos when she got bigger and I just really needed it to prop her up a little, where the MyBrestFriend was better in the younger stages where you have to fully support baby on your own because they can't yet.

DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• bsckgb7bsckgb7 member

ThisisNumber3 & SkiChic626

Boppy actually has a new pillow out that is 2 sides (a harder and a softer side) and an optional belt.  Sounds like the new one may be better. 

https://www.boppy.com/product/boppy-two-sided-breast-feeding-pillow/

I neve tried a boppy but I loved the My Breast Friend pillow. I plan on using it again this time around
  • I actually hated all the breastfeeding pillows.  Maybe my boobs are saggy but it put me in a very uncomfortable position for nursing.  I actually used it more when my dd started sitting at 3.5 mo.  
  • Sekerambo said:
    I actually hated all the breastfeeding pillows.  Maybe my boobs are saggy but it put me in a very uncomfortable position for nursing.  I actually used it more when my dd started sitting at 3.5 mo.  
    I didn't like the pillows either. I preferred instead to lean to the side on a regular throw pillow on the couch. 
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • @midwestbaby I SERIOUSLY recommend Aeroflow breastpumps!!! They contact your insurance, do all the work and will have it shipped asap. I signed up, picked my pump, and got it within 2 weeks. (I got it at 22 weeks pregnant! Although I can't do anything with it now, it's great that it's one less thing to think about. This company has great customer service too! :)

Me: 32 | DH: 33
    Met: 2005 | Started Dating: 2009 | Married: 2013

TTC#1: 06.2014;   BFP: 12.2015; DS Born: August 16, 2016
    TTC#2: 12.2017; BFP: 02.26.2018; CP 03.02.2018
                                BFP: 04.26.2018 DD Born: December 26, 2018
    Surprise Pregnancy #3; BFP: 01.11.2020; Due Date: September 19, 2021

• @midwestbaby I SERIOUSLY recommend Aeroflow breastpumps!!! They contact your insurance, do all the work and will have it shipped asap. I signed up, picked my pump, and got it within 2 weeks. (I got it at 22 weeks pregnant! Although I can't do anything with it now, it's great that it's one less thing to think about. This company has great customer service too! :)

Yes but my insurance still would not ship it until after the baby is born :( 
    *TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
    10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
    11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
    Benched 6 months 
    BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
    BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18

• Ya Never KnowYa Never Know member
    edited May 2016
    I was surprised at how it didn't come to me naturally at all, and how long it took for me to actually get the hang of it. The first 2 months were horrible and painful, but I stuck through and then it miraculously just became easy. I didn't think it would take that long!!