Did you fail the 1 hr?

have to take a 2 hour or 3 hour?

Diagnosed with GD?

How are feeling?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    gadzooks_3gadzooks_3 member
    edited May 2016
    I have noticed on most other boards it isn't a formal check-in, and that after the first month a diagnosed check-in thread is started.  I was thinking we could have this thread for people to talk about the tests themselves and another thread for those managing their GD? 

What do you think, @no_more_miss? You want to keep your post uo as the model for checking in around the test and I will start a thread for those diagnosed and managing? Then next month we can transition to monthly threads for GD management check--in.

If so, you might want to edit your post to include the 2 hour option, some OB's don't do a 2-step diagnosis process.
  • Options
    sounds good @liljabee
  • Options
    Cool beans
  • Options
    cm716cm716 member
    I'm so glad to have found this thread. I failed my 1 hour with a 137. After doing a little research on the internet, it looks like some doctors use 130 as a benchmark and others use 140 is a benchmark. Does anyone know what their doctor uses?

I took my 3-hour test on Thursday. And am anxiously waiting to hear results hopefully Monday.

I did not have it with either of my other 2 pregnancies. Has anyone had it with one pregnancy but not the other/s? I was surprised to fail my test.
  • Options
    I just wanna chime in here. I will start by saying I did not fail my 1hr glucose test, but I hope it is OK to still post and not be intruding...

As PP have said, different doctors run their test differently. Mine told me to eat a meal high in protein an hour before I drank the glucose beverage to "start with a stable level," then proceeded with the test. What you eat before (and if you eat before) the 1hr test makes a difference! She also would have been concerned (aka I would have "failed," though she said she doesn't like to use that word b/c of how it makes Mammas feel) if it was above 120, below which she said was "optimal." I see other docs use much higher levels as standards for the glucose test.

My Midwife said (before testing) that if I failed the 1hr test, I could take the 3hr test. She said the 3 hr test is a better indicator, but may also be incorrect as a diagnostic tool depending on what was eaten before the "fast" and how long one fasts. She usually suggests, instead, her patients who fail the 1hr glucose test get a blood sugar meter and self-test after meals and periodically through the day. Some find that they may have "failed" the "diagnostics," but don't have GD overall in their lives and diets.

She also says the key to keeping blood sugar under control is protein, protein, protein in your meals and snacks, and watch starchy carbs/sugars. She also said that eating snacks between meals will keep blood sugar stable, so there is less risk of GD/keeps symptoms in check if you don't let it get too low, which will throw the system for a loop.  But it isn't always diet - hormones could be the trigger, or genetics. Some women who get GD have no choice, even if they have a healthy lifestyle.

I think this thread is a great idea, even for those not diagnosed with GD... helps with awareness. ;)

Good luck, ladies! <3
  • Options
    @cm716 I passed the one hour screening with my first two and then failed it with my third. The three hour test wasn't as bad as I was expecting and I thankfully passed it easily. Went in for my one hour screening with our fourth and passed it fine. Pregnancy is crazy yo! Good luck on your 3 hour!
  • Options
    cm716cm716 member
    @becca7903  Thank you! Since I was so close to the mark the first time, I'm *hoping* everything is fine. I will post when I find out tomorrow.
  • Options
    Thank you for starting this thread!  I failed my one hour test and my numbers were high enough to immediately be labeled with gestational diabetes. The strange thing is that we usually eat low-carb anyways and my new "diet" has me eating more than I normally would.  I really felt like a failure until I started reading this thread (nobody in my family had GD and none of my friends have had it either.)  Thank goodness for all you wonderful mommies who are sharing your stories -- it's been hard, my numbers are still running high at times (especially first thing in the morning)  but I know I'm not alone and that I can get through this.  After all, I will do anything to help my little Bean!
  • Options
    I took my 1 hr on Friday and I expect to hear from the Dr tomorrow regarding those results. I expect to have to go in for the 3 hour, since I had GD with my last pregnancy and because I'm AMA I'm at higher risk for GD also. Keeping my fingers crossed though!
  • Options
    cm716cm716 member
    Just got the news from my 3 hour and it came back negative. I will be thinking of you ladies and hoping all goes well!
  • Options
    So needed this thread today - got the call a few hours ago that I failed the 3 hour and I've been pretty devastated since. I never would have thought in a million years that I would get this. I was thin before pregnancy, weight gain has been "perfection" as my doctor says, no diabetes in my family, the list goes on. This is going to be a very tough time for me. I hate blood and needles and I have no idea how I'm going to stab myself 3x per day (or more
  • Options
    Failed my 1 hr with 161. Going to do the 3 hr test Thursday morning. They didn't tell me to do anything other than fast for 12 hrs before hand and have a high protein snack ready for after the test. Want to try to get some nice walks in before Thursday.

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Has anyone else done the 1-hr with jelly beans? It was so convenient, easy, and TASTY!    Knowing I only had to eat 17 jellybeans gave me a lot of confidence that I'd pass, which I did. 
  • Options
    shen222shen222 member
    I failed the 1 hour test... I go back for the 3 hour on Thursday... the doctor put me on a crazy high carb diet... I can't believe how much I have to eat. Fingers crossed I can pass the 3 hour. I'm on Makena injections which can cause gestational diabetes. 
  • Options
    @liljabee yes they had me carbo load!  I did what they said and thankfully heard today that I passed. Whew! Not sure of my numbers I just called and they said it was all normal. 
    TTC History:
    Started dating DH 2006 . Married 2015

TTC July 2015-November 2015
    BFP November 2015
    Baby boy born August 2016

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

Back on BC for a year to decide what we want to do.

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

BFP September 2022 - Due June 2023!

• Options
    I just found out I failed my hr test today, this is the second time I've failed it. I had to take the glucose test at 16 weeks because sugar was showing up in my urine at the time. I really failed it then with a 167, this time I got a 141. I took the 3 hr one last time and did just fine so I'm hoping that's what happens agains but it's such a pain doing the three hr test. Hoping everyone passes their 3hr with flying colors!!
    Expecting baby #1 August 2016 
    Already have three furbabies- Blake, Sydney, and Chester 

• Options
    Just found out I failed my 1hr with a 144  :'( I'm feeling pretty discouraged and more than a little guilty. I know it isn't necessarily anything I did, but I can't help feeling like it is, since I didn't have any issues when I was pregnant with DS1. 

I'm going to take the 3hr next week, but I'm a little freaked about what to eat/what not to eat right now. My doctor told me to cut back on carbs for now, but reading that some of you were told to eat more prior to your fasting test is freaking me out a little. My moms friend is a nutritionist so I'm going to talk to her about how I should prepare (or if I even should). Any suggestions?

• Options
    I took my 1 hour yesterday and found out today I failed with flying colors- 240!!!! They immediately diagnosed me with GD. I am so upset! 
  • Options
    @Bookhousegirl  Sorry to hear you failed :(    Just took my 3 hr test this morning. I was trying to read up and I seemed to find when browsing the webs that they used to have people carbo load but they don't anymore. Just don't eat super low carb --get at least 150 grams (g) of carbohydrate a day.

• Options
    @Bookhousegirl  Sorry to hear you failed :(    Just took my 3 hr test this morning. I was trying to read up and I seemed to find when browsing the webs that they used to have people carbo load but they don't anymore. Just don't eat super low carb --get at least 150 grams (g) of carbohydrate a day.
    Eating normally and fasting for 12 hrs worked for me for test prep--passed :)

• Options
    lucypodlucypod member
    I failed my 1 hour with a 133... my doctor's cut off was a 129 which seemed low to me so I was pretty convinced I'd pass the 3 hour.

Did the 3 hour and my levels came back all over the place.  I technically only had one high level so they didn't diagnose me but I'm wondering if carbo loading would have made a difference to not shock my system.  Either way I'm being careful but the whole thing had me going nuts.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I went in for my GD screening today. I failed so badly they aren't doing a 3 hour test , it's straight to diabetes clinic for me :( I'm so bummed I never imagined I would get it, and my diet consists of a lot of carbs so I'm going to have to completely change the foods I eat. 
  • Options
    jacerujaceru member
    failed my one hour test and have to go for my three hour tomorrow. Wish me luck!

I'm still processing through all the feels :cry: 
  • Options
    I failed my one hour by a few points and had to do the three hour. Reading about it really sounds awful but I wanted to reassure anyone that hasn't done it yet that it's really not so bad. I was a little dizzy the first hour but was fine after that, just hungry when I got home.  It's not nearly as bad as it sounds, I really worked myself up worrying about it for no reason. 
  • Options
    I just did my three hr test today and I passed, barely. All my numbers were good except my first one hr, it was high but I dropped pretty quickly to 60 by the time my 3hr blood draw was done. I could tell it dropped and ate a protein bar as soon as she took the last blood draw. I messaged my doctor to be sure it was a pass and his nurse said I had to fail two out of four number ranges for me to have GD. Regardless I'm going to lay off the sweets and try to eat a little healthier. Hope everyone else's test goes well!
    Expecting baby #1 August 2016 
    Already have three furbabies- Blake, Sydney, and Chester 

• Options
    @kcolly32 one of the midwifed told me that if you fail just one they consider you glucose intolerant and just advise you to make better choices. Congrats on passing!
  • Options
    Yup, with the three hour you have to have 2 numbers over the limit to fail, with the 2 hour one is considered diagnostic. It is all a bit confusing!
  • Options
    I failed my one hour test last week, so they told me to come back today for a 3 hour test.
    So far, I'm two hours in and starving. 
    I'm nervous, ya'll. 
  • Options
    I ended up getting a 140 on my one hour and my doctors office takes a 140 or lower. She said she wasn't going to make me do the 3 HR one because she's fairly certain I will pass. They might make me fast and test my blood again but happy to have got that out of the way! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Did anyone get a higher result from
    screening and still pass the 3 hr? I got the results from my 1-hr screening today and my result was 181. Cutoff for automatic diagnosis was 200. I was pretty shocked as last pregnancy it was 143 at the screening (I passed my 3 hr last time). Guess I'm sort of in shock in the huge difference. My OB does the carboload diet thing so I'll start that tomorrow and test on Friday.  
    Baby #1: Palmer Olivia - October 2014
    Baby #2: Emmeline Grey - August 2016
    Baby #3: BFP 9/7/18  |  EDD 05/24/19
  • Options
    In the middle of my 3 hour test now. Feel like i could lay down on the floor and sleep the day away. Anyone else feel like this? My one hour was 157... 
  • Options
    @justaudrey Each pregnancy is different (even for the same person), and the screening test result can be affected by what you eat beforehand, too. Good luck!

@sbelle474 I felt the worst for the first hour and got better afterwards. The lady in the lab told me many people feel dizzy or just generally unwell during that first hour.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @jjang27 I ended up passing with flying colors! My doctor said she was a bit worried when receiving my initial results since they were fairly high. I was eating super low-carb the week before my 1-hr so that may have thrown off my initial results. The carboloading diet must have helped. 

Good luck today @sbelle474! I was exhausted at my test too. 
    Baby #1: Palmer Olivia - October 2014
    Baby #2: Emmeline Grey - August 2016
    Baby #3: BFP 9/7/18  |  EDD 05/24/19