Blighted Ovum — The Bump
Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Blighted Ovum

I went in for my 7 week u/s and no baby was there only a yolk sac and gestational sac. I had prepared myself for this because things just didn't seem right all along. But still, getting the confirmation was heartbreaking. What is even harder is that we were going to start IVF if that IUI didn't work. Now, the process is going to be so delayed and I wish we had just started IVF instead of doing that last IUI. Now, I have to wait for HCG to get to zero and then, because I don't get my period naturally, the doctor will have to induce two periods before I can start birth control and stimming for IVF. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not young and the additional time has me really worried. The combination of this plus the loss has me in a bad place. I'm sorry that everyone else on the board has gone through a miscarriage too. 

Re: Blighted Ovum

  • I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I have not had a blighted ovum, but I have done both IUIs and IVF/FET. I get the wanting to start sooner rather than later. With my first loss, an ectopic, I didn't get a period for 12 weeks before I called my RE to induce a cycle. This time around I'm calling if I don't get one 4 weeks after my D&C. Did your doctor specifically state you had to get two periods before starting bcps? That seems a bit excessive, especially with a blighted ovum. That is going to be like a minimum of 8 weeks before you do 3ish weeks of bcps. If I were you I'd ask about only doing one period before starting bcps. I hope everything works out for you!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014

    FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

  • I'm so sorry you're going through this, you're not alone. I too am not young (34) but managed to get pregnant naturally after 3 years of trying. Yesterday, at 6 weeks, I found out my Hcg isn't rising like it should and they could only find a small gestational sac, but nothing else (blighted ovum?) I was told I have a 50/50 chance of miscarrying. Well I just woke up to cramps and bleeding, I guess this may be it? I completly understand your frustration of this putting you behind in your fertility journey. We too were about to start seeing a new RE (our original retired in December). Now I don't know if I can handle moving forward with that appointment. Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I am sorry for your loss.  I also lost a pregnancy that resulted from an IUI cycle.  We were on IUI #3, and during the TWW we had talked to our RE and decided to do 6 IUIs with the same meds, which have been working well for me, as quickly as possible and then move onto IVF.   We have insurance coverage for IVF after 6 IUIs, but that is through my husband's job which is ending in the summer, so not sure if we'll make it now after taking 11w out for a pregnancy and then about that long for my HCG to get to single digits.  Plus, after going through this loss, I am not even sure if I want to do IVF anymore, or at least it's really hard to think that far into the future right now.  So I do feel pretty thrown off.  *hugs*
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.  Did you have a D&C?  I just had a blighted ovum and I chose medication to get the process going.  Unfortunately the "process" of miscarrying has taken my body a full month of bleeding.  I understand the "so much lost time!!" feeling, so if you haven't made a decision yet, I would recommend that you consider the D&C to speed things along.
    DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Thank you all! My RE prefers not to do a D&C because of the risk of scarring although I've heard it can be much faster than the medication. I took the medication yesterday and a second dose today. Wow, the pain is intense. I really hope that my HCG drops quickly. Seems like it varies so much from person to person. 

    @AandDM2014 I asked the nurse what the plan would be and she said that the doctor wants me to have 2 periods first. The problem is that I don't get my period on my own so it has to be induced. I don't really see why that is necessary because if it takes 2 months for my HCG to get to zero and THEN i have to do 2 periods and then start IVF, I'm looking at a transfer 7 months from now. I really can't handle that idea right now. Do you know when you will be able to do your next transfer? 
  • @runfast Ugh! Hopefully you won't take two months to get to zero! That still seems weird to me. I guess maybe my doc just moves quickly? For my first FET I only did one week of bcps, when it is usually pretty standard to do 2-3. And yikes about 7 months from now. That is just beyond crazy! It literally makes no sense to me why the human body is so dumb sometimes. Argh!!!! I think we may be looking at a transfer in maybe about 11 weeks, with the variables of taking provera to induce, 3 weeks of bcps then the usual amount of time I've been on meds before my uterus is ready for a transfer. It is a while away, which sucks major ass, but it is what it is. I can't make it go any faster. I think I am already pushing it with wanting to start bcps after this first cycle starts, but my doc know that I'm emotionally ready to do another one.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014

    FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards