Phoenix Babies

Summer babies & the AZ heat

Hello!
I'm having a baby in May and I have a few questions from moms who have had a baby in our summer heat!
The books say newborns should be in a house between 68-72 degrees. Did you do this? Normally we keep the AC set around 78 and that's already a killer for our electric bill. Should we set it colder? What have you done? 

I have some swaddle blankets (aiden and annis kind) they are pretty large so I imagine this is a lot of fabric around the baby, do we swaddle him in a onsie and the blanket? Will this be too hot for him?

THank you!

Re: Summer babies & the AZ heat

• We didn't go lower than 78 on our AC. With a ceiling fan and a humidifier the room was cooler than that maybe 74. My LO had on short sleeve onies, a sleeping onies and a swaddle-me swaddle. My husband tends to run hot and I run cold. So I based it more like if husband wanted a blanket to put the onies on under the pjs, if not just the pjs and swaddle. They will fuss if they are too hot or cold. And you can check how they feel at the night time feeds cause the first few weeks you will be feeding more often. Now that my LO is out of the swaddle, I but a short sleeve onies under a long sleeve pj set with socks and thats all. He seems comfortable, his hands and feet aren't cold.
  • mindaamindaa member
    edited May 2016
    ^^ Pretty much the same here. Right now LO is in a sleep sack and on warmer nights just wears a long sleeve shirt or onesie underneath.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)