November 2015 Moms
Options

Food Allergies

Hi ladies!

Most of our LOs are at the stage where we are either introducing them to solids or thinking about it. 

Last weekend, we started giving LO rice cereal and she did well. Then last night, we gave her oatmeal and she woke up this morning with a red back and red blotches on her torso and chin. I'm not sure if it's the oatmeal or the detergent as we switched to tide free and clear for her clothes. We've always used it on our clothes and dreft for LO so you would think she was kind of used to it. Obviously I called the pedi and am waiting for a call back but I wanted to see if any of your LOs have had allergic reactions to any of the foods they've tried. Please share your experiences. 

Re: Food Allergies

• Options
    edited April 2016
    We found out pretty early on that our daughter is allergic to cow's milk & soy protein. Her break out was very similar to what you are describing except her rash started developing on her face as well. We also had to change our detergent to All Free & Clear. Once we made those changes, her rash went away. I would stop using anything new that you recently started using and slowly reintroduce it back to your LO but wait a week in between to find out what your LO is allergic to. Process of elimination. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We found out pretty early on that our daughter is allergic to cow's milk & soy protein. Her break out was very similar to what you are describing except her rash started developing on her face as well. We also had to change our detergent to All Free & Clear. Once we made those changes, her rash went away. I would stop using anything new that you recently started using and slowly reintroduce it back to your LO but wait a week in between to find out what your LO is allergic to. Process of elimination. 
    Wow cow's milk and soy? What kind of formula are you using? 
    Yes the pedi suggested I switch detergents back so I rewashed all of her clothes. I will wait to reintroduce the oatmeal again. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto! We found out when he was about a month and a half...had to use similac alimentium until the dairy was completely removed from my milk (10 days).
  • Options
    Soy and dairy here too!! ( No rashes, though, except diaper ones. Did y'all know that pampers diapers and desiten both have soy in them? Ruth's super super sensitive to soy, apparently.) 
    My older daughter has allergies too (Severe Egg, mild butternut squash, and certain dogs' saliva).

I would agree with PPs suggestion of slow reintroduction, keeping a close eye on kiddo. And definitely a conversation with your pediatrician.
    In my experience, food reactions begin pretty quickly after exposure to the food, but everyone's allergies are different. 
    FARE (food allergy research and education) is a great resource. Www.foodallergy.org
  • Options
    You should definitely talk it over with her pedi.  My baby is allergic to egg.  I just noticed that she got really fussy and didn't sleep well on the nights I ate egg.  She also has had some skin problems since birth.  We were watching her pretty close though because my son has severe nut allergies.  We had her scratch tested almost two months ago.

photo 2c2eea5b-cb3d-4ba5-8e22-39fd2841956b_zps4ux1rnnr.jpg

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Oh, also, just wanted to add that reactions aren't always immediate.  My son has had several cross contamination reactions that didn't start until the morning after.

photo 2c2eea5b-cb3d-4ba5-8e22-39fd2841956b_zps4ux1rnnr.jpg

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    LO was having bloody stools. Ped recommended that I cut out diary to see if it helped. I stopped drinking milk but will still eat a little cheese or yogurt here and there. But no more poop problems. I plan on taking to Ped more about it at his 6 month appt. From what I've read he could either have a milk allergy or is lactose intolerant.