July 2016 Moms
Options

UO 4/28

Let those UO's out

Re: UO 4/28

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @elenabrent - Preach! I completely agree with everything you said! 

July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • Options
    As someone who works with struggling parents and it makes me cringe when I see poor parenting in public I am so glad there are so many good parents in here!

My UO is I am allowing my in laws to stay with us right after baby is born. Only because there is a good chance my parents won't be able to be there as they will taking my brother to college out of state right around my due date. And I'm kind of desperate to have some
    family come and see her and us. 

Only you know what's best for you.  If your in-laws staying with you will be helpful and make life more peaceful for you, then so be it. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married: October 23, 2010

DS: 8/7/2013

#2 EDD: 6/29/2016, C Section: 6/22/2016

• Options
    As someone who works with struggling parents and it makes me cringe when I see poor parenting in public I am so glad there are so many good parents in here!

My UO is I am allowing my in laws to stay with us right after baby is born. Only because there is a good chance my parents won't be able to be there as they will taking my brother to college out of state right around my due date. And I'm kind of desperate to have some
    family come and see her and us. 
    My MIL came and stayed with us for a week after we brought DS home. I appreciated having someone there who had done the whole newborn thing before - I had no idea how to give a baby a sponge bath, for instance - and it was also nice to have someone watch him while I went and showered or went to the bathroom. She is also sort of an insomniac, so it was nice to have someone who was still awake during the late night hours to talk to/help me stay alert. The part I didn't like was that she decided she was going to stay with us, took vacation off of work and TOLD us she'd be coming to stay. She was not asked. That soured the whole experience, so I don't like to actually admit that I did like having someone there.
  • Options

Nerdchild said:
    @oneliloaktree13 I am begging my husband for a few hens and some bees too! And maybe a house-pig.  <3
    I have a friend that just got bee's this year and I'm using him as my test pilot, so far he's been really successful. I'm turning a hill into a wildflower hill to hopefully help out next year when we get ours. Plus, I think having animals teaches kids responsibility and  empathy for things other than people. I think feeding Stella the bun is a great chore for little dude when he gets big enough. 

Eta* I would love a house pig. 
    We had our first hive last year, and our garden went CRAZY! 
    Oh this makes me so happy. I want to expand ours next year, I don't think I'd be able to keep up with it if I went bigger this year.
  • Options
  • Options

And I completely agree that having pets around is good for kids. Not only do they get exposed to more at an early age which is good for their immune systems and possibly preventing allergies, it totally teaches responsibility and how to respect animals from a young age. 
    Pygmy goats in little tiny sweaters. 
  • Options
    This sounds like a terrible idea. I think outside experiences definitely have their place and be incredibly valuable but to rely on that solely sounds bonkers.
  • Options

I don't mind the terms "push present," preggers," "prego," "birth plan," or "furbaby."

justin prince deal with it shades purple rain

• Options
    @arhodes6 I did! It definitely lined up with a lot of what I've seen as a teacher/with my friends and their kids. I also read (thanks to someone here's suggestion) Cherish the First Six Weeks, which was a little less intense than Babywise and had a schedule I felt like I could follow. That's my plan. I'm really nervous though, especially because all of my friends think that sleep training is cruel. 

• Options

@elenabrent ehhhh I don't think that nursing on demand or rocking/nursing an infant to sleep every night is really even attachment parenting or has any detrimental effects on young babies/newborns.  Around the time DS was 6 months+ we were able to switch to more scheduled feedings, and we only offered him water bottles at night so he gave up night feedings very quickly. Seeing as that's about when he started daycare I think we were able to transition from on demand feeding to scheduled feeding very well.  And while I did nurse and rock him to sleep for the first several months of his life (because I would have done whatever the heck I could to just get the kid to go to SLEEP), as a 2.5 year old his bedtime routine now consists of teeth brushing and a bedtime story and he sleeps through the night without any problems. I think that attachment parenting becomes more problematic with age.