November 2015 Moms

Eye color

Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
edited April 2016 in November 2015 Moms
I've read that a lot of babies have their permanent eye color by 6mos but that it can also take years for eye color to set! 

Just out of curiosity, how many of you believe your child's eye color has set? It would also be cool to see pics of early eye color and what it looks like now, if anyone has them. 

My DD's baby blues have definitely darkened some, but they're still more blue than not. For us it's no guessing game what eye color she will have as DH and I both have hazel eyes so 99% chance they'll be hazel too! I thought for sure her eye color would be set by now (she's six mos in just two weeks), and am surprised they're still as light as they are. I'm in no rush for this to happen, I just find this topic interesting from a biology/genetics perspective and would love to hear how others are progressing. 

edited to add this cool chart
https://myilifestyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/The-Perfect-Guide-to-What-Color-Eyes-Will-Your-Children-Have.jpg

Re: Eye color

• Addy's baby blues are still holding on at 5.5 months, too.  Maybe a little more grey, but not really darker.  We keep remarking that they're the same color as her aunts'.  I wouldn't be surprised if she's a blue eyed girl forever.
  • My little's eyes were so dark blue when she was born that they almost looked violet. They've lightened a little, but not by much. 
  • Loading the player...
  • snowflake143snowflake143 member
    edited April 2016
    I'm confused how 2 blue eyed parents have a 99% likelihood of a green eyed baby. My dad had blue eyes, my mom has grey and my sister has green, brother has blue and I have grey. I sucked at genetics class, lol.

Anyways, DH has blue eyes, LO has grey eyes and I think they're here to stay. Blue shirts make his color really pop.

ETA: this chart has blue at 99%, so maybe the other had a typo?

https://myilifestyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/The-Perfect-Guide-to-What-Color-Eyes-Will-Your-Children-Have.jpg
  • LO's eyes were hazel and now seem to be turning green. She's 5 mo. I'm not taking a guess as to what color they will be because I have no clue yet and I really don't get the allele and biology aspect when it comes to eye color. Mine are blue/green and SO's are light brown. DS had the most beautiful clear light blue eyes at 6 mo but they changed and now his eyes look exactly like mine. 
  • mrsgabusmrsgabus member
    edited April 2016
    Annas were dark blue at birth . They look blue green right now so we will see. I assume they will change to there correct color by age 1. 

However  my middle child had bright blue eyes and eneed up with sky blue (he's 5)

AND my oldest had dark blue and ended up with brown eyes (he's almost 10) 

They say give blue eyes till age 2

• My ex had hazel eyes, I have blue eyes and my 10yr old has blue eyes exactly like mine.  (She's pretty much my mini-me.)

My youngest's dad has blue eyes and our LO has dark blue eyes right now.  We'll see if they change. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Born my kids were born with bright blue eyes.  DS eyes changed to grey, then brown by 4 months.  This LO's eyes have darkened but are still blue.  I have blue eyes and DH has brown, so I am kind of hoping they stay blue.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS1 had super blue eyes until age 3...now they're hazel (before and now in pics)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DH and I both have brown eyes and DD Elliot has green/grey like hazel eyes. I don't know how she got the recessive gene but I'm glad she did! Both of our fathers have green eyes. I still just feel like she will have brown in the end. We shall see!
  • I'm confused how 2 blue eyed parents have a 99% likelihood of a green eyed baby. My dad had blue eyes, my mom has grey and my sister has green, brother has blue and I have grey. I sucked at genetics class, lol.

Anyways, DH has blue eyes, LO has grey eyes and I think they're here to stay. Blue shirts make his color really pop.

ETA: this chart has blue at 99%, so maybe the other had a typo?

Thanks - I edited to add your link to my original post. 

Very interesting responses so far! Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat with eye color potentially not being set as of yet.  Either that or lots of blue eyed babes in N15!! 
  • LO has blue eyes, and so do DH and I. 
  • His eyes were almost black when he was born!!! So dark you couldn't even see his pupils  they've lightened a little but are still so dark  I love them. Dh has lighter brown eyes (Asian) and I have hazel green eyes  
  • kmd91kmd91 member
    I'm kinda sad to see all this talk about babies having their eye color changing past their baby days. I'd kept hearing that by 6 months he'd have his permanent eye color. I'm still hoping he keeps these pretty blue eyes. His daddy has blue eyes, mine are hazel/green depending on who you ask. He's his daddy's twin, so it'd only make sense for him to have his eyes, too. 
  • We still have no idea what color LO's eyes will be! They look different all the time, and depending on lighting. Sometimes I'm absolutely convinced they're brown like his dad's, other times they look like they're turning blue, other times they're "definitely" a hazel green. I have no idea!
  • queenwog said:
    We still have no idea what color LO's eyes will be! They look different all the time, and depending on lighting. Sometimes I'm absolutely convinced they're brown like his dad's, other times they look like they're turning blue, other times they're "definitely" a hazel green. I have no idea!
    I'm this way on LO's hair color.  In some lights it looks reddish, some blonde, and others light brown.  I'm just going to have to wait and see. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Kanne0729Kanne0729 member
    edited May 2016
    My baby's eyes have been brown since he was a week old. He was born with really dark blue/grey eyes and then at one week turned dark brown. My first son had bright blue eyes until he was one so we thought that they would stay like that, but then a little after he turned one they slowly started turning to hazel and by the time he was 2.5 they were brown. I was really surprised with him though because I thought his eyes would be blue for sure because of how bright they were his first year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We both have blue eyes so I'm thinking they will stay blue.