May 2016 Moms

STMs: did you go into labor naturally with a breech baby

I am aware there are breech discussions open but I want this specific question answered if anyone has answers! I have a large, complete breech baby at 39 weeks and a scheduled C section coming up. But does anyone know what the chances are that I will go into labor on my own and be an emergency C? I want to experience contractions as weird as that may sound. I don't want to get my hopes up if this is unlikely.

(Please save your opinions on c-sections. It was the option that worked best for me and DH after considering both options, as much as I respect other opinions, I have made this personal decision) 

Re: STMs: did you go into labor naturally with a breech baby

• My first baby was breech and I went into labor at 36w3d.  Ended up having an emergency c section. I am getting a c section again with this one. 
  • My understanding is that most doctors will do their best to schedule C sections before there's too much risk of you going into labor on your own.
  • Loading the player...
  • Generally if baby is breech at a certain point they will probably do a csect to get baby out before you go into labour. Fro what I've heard you dont really want to be having contractions while having a csect. 

That said my friend went  into labour and had a csect due to breech baby so it can be done. 
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • @avidkeo I was under the same impression! But my doctor is being very laid back about this all. My C Section is not officially booked with the hospital and he is talking about booking a date AFTER 40 weeks! He continues to say "call immediately if you feel labor coming on".
  • @avidkeo I was under the same impression! But my doctor is being very laid back about this all. My C Section is not officially booked with the hospital and he is talking about booking a date AFTER 40 weeks! He continues to say "call immediately if you feel labor coming on". 

QBF: sounds like you need to have a frank conversation with your dr sto see what exactly the plan is. Hete they only do csect if really necessary and they definitely do it for this
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • My sister is having her second c section, and works in a hospital and they do not want her showing an signs of labor, so even if she gets strong Braxton hicks they are moving the dateam up. It is too trying on the body to start with the labor process, end up with all the contractions, vaginal swelling, dialation and then go into a planned c section. I was there with her for her first labor and she basically had two recoveries and it was soo hard on her with healing both places. 
  • My first was breech and my water broke 5 days before my due date during my 39th week. I had back labor due to her position and I don't wish that on my worst enemy. I had a c section as soon as I got to the hospital.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

That's unusual, FTM but my LO is still breech at 35 weeks and we have the csection (if needed but I'm not a good version candidate and quite frankly it freaks me out) scheduled for 39 + 1. They typically don't want you going into labor but they also have guidelines to wait until atleast 39 weeks so baby is fully developed- unless other factors are involved.
  • One of my best friends went into labor with a breech baby. I wouldn't think that just because of their position it would impact the process not starting on it's own?

And I can sort of relate to you on wanting to see what it's like to go into labor on your own. With my first I had an induction and this time I'm having a scheduled c-sec. We've never had the whole rush to the hospital because water broke or contractions started on their own experience.
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I was breech and my mom went into labor 4 days before her scheduled section. My cousin had a breech baby and her water broke at 37 weeks
  • @doozer1345 did you get a spinal block or an epidural? I am reading that epidurals don't always work? And is the tugging when they take him unbearable?
  • JennyS86JennyS86 member
    edited April 2016
    doozer1345 did you get a spinal block or an epidural? I am reading that epidurals don't always work? And is the tugging when they take him unbearable?

They aren't going to cut you before they test that the epi or spinal is working - no worries!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• doozer1345doozer1345 member
    edited April 2016
    @doozer1345 did you get a spinal block or an epidural? I am reading that epidurals don't always work? And is the tugging when they take him unbearable?
    Spinal block. I don't have experience with epidurals but I liked not being hooked up to anything and the shot being a one time for sure thing. I was up walking 6-8 hours after my c section which I've heard (although I'm not an expert) isn't possible that quickly after a c section. I was also able to BF once I got into the room (about 45 min to an hour after my c section).

ETA: what you might have heard is an epidural may run out during a vaginal birth before the birth actually happens.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)