September 2015 Moms
Options

DockATot....thoughts?

So I searched for this topic and haven't found one that was helpful...it was mentioned once and never discussed directly so I hope I am following the rules!  Has anyone used this? Right now my almost 8 MO is having a rough time in his crib... I feel awful (on top of the fact I feel awful because I am also not sleeping). We may be going through a regression right now also but I have notice that when he does sleep well in the crib its when he is shoved up against the end of the crib (Yes I use bumpers...) and then he has a blanket up against the back of him sort of like surrounding himself like this would.  It is EXPENSIVE for my taste on a lot of the 'fad baby things' list but it has been crossing my mind.... any opinions/thoughts?

Re: DockATot....thoughts?

• Options
    I've been wondering the same thing, I read a ton of reviews and people seem to love it, it makes sense to me and I like that it's breathable but I would love to hear from someone who's actually used it before shelling out...
  • Options
    dmbfan46835dmbfan46835 member
    edited April 2016
    This thing looks rad! DS rolls too much at night so we put rolled up towels on the sides of his crib under sheet to help keep him more in place. I wonder how this would work when transitioning to his big boy bed down the road? I hope some people actually have this thing, I'd love to see some real reviews!

ETA- sent a link to my husband and he said to buy it! Lol. Even if it just helps with better naps I am in! Will let you ladies know!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @dmbfan46835 how have the towels rolled up on his sides worked?? I originally did this in a U-shape under his bum at first to mimic his rock and play but I didn't think about doing it on his sides now that hes been in the crib for a while... we have the same issue, the rolling and walking up and just him seeming to like to be in close quarters.
  • Options
    @abombard12 it has really helped! He has some drainage from teething too so he's a a slight incline with a wedge and then too pretty thick towels on each side of him. He no longer ends up with his head crammed against the crib or upside down. I often find him resting his head or arms in the towels like they are pillows. So this thing looks pretty good and similar to that but more fitted. 
  • Options
    Hmm I may try this first -- to avoid spending the money on the DockATot and hopefully it will work.. But later on with transitioning from crib to toddler bed I could see the DockATot coming in handy.  Thanks for the idea!
  • Options
    I haven't used it personally but I have a friend who bought one when they were having terrible sleep struggles and it was the miracle sleep aid for their baby. I'm tempted but don't want to spend the money.
  • Options
    @yellowbean15 See its stories like that one that make me want to just splurge! ha
  • Options
    I hadn't heard of this before so I just googled it. Why is it so expensive?? Could there not be some sort of "hack" that works similar; like the rolled up towel someone mentioned. It seems so expensive. 
  • Options
    From different threads on other sites and all the reviews apparently the cost is because of the testing it has and the fabrics used (breathable reducing sids risks and blah blah). It really is rediculous how expensive it is. I too keep telling myself there has to be another way. So I trying what was mentioned above tonight with the rolled up towels under the sheet.
  • Options
    @dmbfan46835 I tried the towel trick last night and at first it seemed awesome! he loved it and you could tell he was so much for comfortable.. my next question for you is... how do you get the towels to stay in place!? Maybe its an issue because my LO is already 23lb (prob over at this point) and SUPER strong... he ended up rolling or trying to so much by the middle of the night the towel on the one side shift outward and he was able to get all over the crib again and woke himself up.  Do you have a trick!? or if not I was thinking tonight try and double it up so it has no where to move ha
  • Options
    @abombard12 DAYUM!! 23 lbs?! My little one is only 18lbs I think, lol. I def have doubled up tho, when he was sick and SUPER wild and uncomfortable. 2 on each side would probably help. Maybe even beach towels? 

And be I totally bought he DockATot grand last night, lol. We will see how that works out. They had overnight shipping for $175. I'm no thanks, I can wait! DS sleeps like shit for naps so I thought it would be good for those and for when we eventually let him stay at MILs overnight... Someday. 
  • Options

@dmbfan46835 haha I am so close to getting it.. I keep dropping the idea in the house each night... just slowly introducing the thought of it. My MIL (who has been watching LO this week bc daycare is closed) told my DH -"oh you'll have one of those in your house by the end of the week" haha hmmm well you said it! ha  I am going to try the double up tonight..

I know 23lbs!! and he is SOOO strong. He is "crawling" aka literally pulls his whole body with his arms...needless to say his upper body strength is unbelievable. I definitely have my work cut out for me :)

Keep me posted once you get the dockAtot! I cant wait to hear how it works for you I am sure it will be a miracle like the rest say it is... then I will end up breaking down and buying it... if I don't by that time anyway ha

• Options
    I've been soooo tempted to buy it and just haven't done it yet! Let us know how it works for you! :)
  • Options
    Holy cow $175 for overnight shipping!?!   I wonder if one of those "S" shaped pregnancy pillows will some how work. Or like two boppys strategically placed under the sheets to create something like this. 
  • Options
    leeeahyoleeeahyo member
    edited April 2016
    @ABombard12 We had a setup like this with our transition from RnP to crib--try putting the towels under the sheet!!! just removed them and he instantly became a side sleeper. Now I'm wondering if they need to go back because he's wide awake ready for the day by 4am :confounded:  (eta:totally jacked the whole quoting thing up; sorry!!)
  • Options
    I had them under the sheet. My monster of a child moved them by constantly rolling and pushing his way out in his sleep ha. I doubled up tonight so they don't have far to be pushed.
  • Options
    I had them under the sheet. My monster of a child moved them by constantly rolling and pushing his way out in his sleep ha. I doubled up tonight so they don't have far to be pushed.
    Whoops, I see now where you said that! Hopefully doubling up does the trick!
  • Options
    Here's our dock a tot. Not gonna lie I bought it on amazon at 2am one night out of desperation. But sleep has been a lot lot better. He's still a peanut at 6.5 months so I got away with buying the smaller cheaper size. Now I just have no clue how to transition out of it when the time comes!
  • Options
    Ok, so it came! It's way bigger than I expected. We used it last night. He seemed to like it. It was much more fitted than the towels we were using. However he didn't have any amazing sleep breakthrough or anything. I do attribute that to teething tho. He fell asleep on me at 6:30 without eating at all once we got home and woke up around midnight a starving mess. Hoping to get a better idea tonight. Keep you posted!

• Options
    Wow that is way bigger than I expected -- guess I keep seeing the smaller version.  Keep me posted on tonights sleep, hopefully for you its better!
  • Options
    Is it safe? Just curious! I know nothing about them. My LO sleeps in a Moses basket in our bed. Kinda the same idea??
  • Options
    Update! I think we love it!! He use to toss and turn and wiggle all around at night. But now I often find him in the same position as I put him down so I think his sleep is more restful and quality. He used to wake himself up a lot at night too and i would hear him rustling and mumbling for a bit before he fell back asleep but he hasn't done that since we got it. He has two teeth on the verge of popping thru so I am curious to see once that drama is over, how it will be. He did wake up once at 3:45 screaming but I think it was a nightmare so other than that, the last couple of nights have been pretty great :) I think we will buy the smaller size for our next baby when that time comes too. I bet it's a miracle for newborns. 

Its super safe. The fabric is awesome. So soft and breathable. They were pretty limited on patterns tho so that part stinks. And replacement covers are $100. 

I took little man to MILs for the day yesterday since our sitter was sick and brought it with me. He napped like a champ for her while there. So that's also promising. Looking forward to seeing how he naps in it for us this weekend.  
  • Options
    So I broke down and got one...we have slipped into bed sharing over the last month or so and I'm hoping this can help get him sleeping on his own. I miss snuggling my husband!
  • Options
    Ours got here today, I'll let everyone know how it goes
  • Options
    @mrsmctaggart6 how impressed were you with how fast it shipped and the awesome box it shipping in??!! I was super impressed with everything. 
  • Options
    Dmbfan46835It was great, so funny I took it out of the box and put it down for her and asked if she liked her new snuggle nest she broke out a big grin and climbed right in, she loves it, she woke up once to eat last night but that's way less than she was doing and she seems super happy with it, worth it so far  :)