July 2016 Moms
Options

So guess who now has no Dr. :/

I missed an appointment early on and rescheduled the next day. Well pregnancy brain struck and I forgot to put it in my phone. Now I have no Dr. And when I call for a new one "I'm too far along" awesome.when i go into labor we week see who is there to play catch. 

Re: So guess who now has no Dr. :/

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    They won't take you anymore because you missed two appointments? Were you a new patient or established?
  • Options
    My friend changed doctors at 37 weeks. You might need to call around a bit, but someone has a spot for you!  Also, it is important to see a doctor regularly these next couple of months, to make sure you and baby are doing well, even if it is just a family doctor and not an ob. 
  • Options
    Agreed with pp. my sister in law changed doctors at 35 weeks. It's illegal to deny a pregnant woman care. Especially just because you missed a couple appointments... 
  • Options
    Wait, who?!
  • Options
    You need to make more phone calls. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I wasn't liking any of my doctors that I have seen and if I didn't meet the one I met yesterday I was going to switch at 31 weeks. Just because you're in your 3rd trimester it doesn't mean you can't get a new doctor. 
  • Options
    If that dr isn't willing to see you because of that, you probably don't want them either.

however, you NEED to continue seeing a dr. Make more calls, find one. What will happen if you don't go into labor on your own? Who will you go to for help? Where will they look to find the important information about your pregnancy? Please keep looking until you do  dr.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Options
    @Lindsayleigh1989 that's exactly what I was wondering!
  • Options
    Agree with PP, you can't deny a pregnant person care at anytime in their pregnancy.  You should definitely call around.
    July Siggy Challenge

BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    IB113IB113 member
    Agree with PP, you can't deny a pregnant person care at anytime in their pregnancy.  You should definitely call around.
    So I don't know where folks are getting this. I think this applies to Emergency Rooms, but I have never heard that it applies to private OB practices, and I don't think it does-- private businesses cannot be compelled to serve people.

OP, regardless, get a doctor. It is never too late.
  • Options
    People switch Dr's late in pregnancy all the time for one reason or the another. Keep calling. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    kdm06c said:
    People switch Dr's late in pregnancy all the time for one reason or the another. Keep calling. 
    Right?! What about all of the people who move out of state (or out of country) mid pregnancy? What if your doctor dies, gets sick, or has to close their practice? What if you decide your doctor is a douche-canoe? What about those random women who show up to the e.r. at 7 months pregnant thinking they just got fat and suddenly find out they are pregnant? I can't think of many good reasons for a doctor to deny care. If they a)take your insurance b)have the ability to accept new patients, then I'm not sure what the problem is. 
  • Options
    with both of my last pregnancies my OB has been unavailable at the end of them (once because she went on maternity leave, and the second time because she closed her practice).  Another practice did accept me late in my third tri.
  • Options
    lol. nope. 
    09/12/14 BFP (EDD 5/15/15) 
    10/06/14 US #1 showing baby at 6W1D w/ no HB (rather than 8W4D)
    10/13/14 US #2 confirming miscarriage 
    10/28/14   800mg oral cytotec (very good experience)  

• Options
    I thought that doctors cannot deny you help due to a pre-existing condition. I would think that being in your third trimester would be a pre-existing condition. But I could be wrong. 
    Married: August 2012
    TTC #1: July 2015
    BFP 1: October 30, 2015; EDD: July 6, 2016- Team Pink
    TTC #2: September 2019

• Options
    I thought that doctors cannot deny you help due to a pre-existing condition. I would think that being in your third trimester would be a pre-existing condition. But I could be wrong. 
    pre-existing conditions come into play when it comes to insurance coverage. medical practices are pretty much like private businesses; they can definitely "fire" patients or refuse them  --- with some limits, and if there's a reason (including repeated no-shows, or if they aren't accepting new patients...).  Another exception is EMTALA, which prohibits refusal of emergency care (like at an ER). 
    09/12/14 BFP (EDD 5/15/15) 
    10/06/14 US #1 showing baby at 6W1D w/ no HB (rather than 8W4D)
    10/13/14 US #2 confirming miscarriage 
    10/28/14   800mg oral cytotec (very good experience)  

• Options
    I know many OB offices and I know several of them the 'release ' patients. They can't due it after a certain time though. And it is usually for repeat No Call No show (like 5, 6 or more), a complete disregard for medical advice or being extremely rude/crude to staff.
    A normal OB would not dismiss a patient for one or two NCNS. They can charge you for them though. 

I am wondering what is the rest of the story here.
    This is my thought too... Something more has to be going on. The lack of reminder call/text/email is also surprising?
  • Options
    IB113IB113 member
    ellou05 said:
    pre-existing conditions come into play when it comes to insurance coverage. medical practices are pretty much like private businesses; they can definitely "fire" patients or refuse them  --- with some limits, and if there's a reason (including repeated no-shows, or if they aren't accepting new patients...).  Another exception is EMTALA, which prohibits refusal of emergency care (like at an ER). 
    This. Practices, especially in busy areas and cities, can be very selective about who they serve. I know some don't accept new patients after 10-12 weeks because they will make less money on the whole pregnancy than they would for a patient they served from 6 weeks onward. No one HAS to serve anyone. The pre-existing condition issue is about insurance coverage.  Some doctors don't even take insurance, meaning you pay out of pocket and then you have to see if you can get it reimbursed. It is a business. I have no idea what OP's story is, but she should try to find a doctor for prenatal care, if possible. That said, she isn't entitled to be served by any specific doctor (except the on call in the ER).